Intercooler questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Intercooler questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went with Process West. Comes with everything you need including a hood scoop splitter. Read on: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...led-9-4-a.html...

I Support ClubWRX
    I went with Process West. Comes with everything you need including a hood scoop splitter.

Read on: Just ordered a Process West TMIC (installed 9/4)
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Justin, you are not getting this. Heat flow goes both ways! If it dissipates heat faster, that also means it absorbs heat faster. This is physics!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Justin, you are not getting this. Heat flow goes both ways! If it dissipates heat faster, that also means it absorbs heat faster. This is physics!
    There is no thermal equivalent then to a semiconductor in electronics? Where heat travels one way only?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There is no thermal equivalent then to a semiconductor in electronics? Where heat travels one way only?
    OK, yes. I greatly simplified the statement. Yes of course heat pumps and TECs (Peltier effect) allow heat to travel in one direction. Obviously not all thermal processes are reversible...

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok sure for Peltiers but those are active. It'd be neat to have a passive sturdy material to make one-way heat conductors of sorts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Ok sure for Peltiers but those are active. It'd be neat to have a passive sturdy material to make one-way heat conductors of sorts.
    Honestly... Am I missing something? I'm a little rusty on my condensed matter and material physics, but I can't think of any passive material that has one-way heat transfer properties...

Edit: holy crap did not know this: http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-one-direction

Double edit: I AM rusty, because this should violate entropy. Now I'm digging into sections of my brain I haven't used in a while...

Facebook me here

Subaru WRX/STI Performance Top-Mount Intercooler Kit, 20022007

This is the intercooler i was thinking about getting. Does anyone a have/had one that could tell me how they like/liked it?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerPedro View Post
    Subaru WRX/STI Performance Top-Mount Intercooler Kit, 20022007

This is the intercooler i was thinking about getting. Does anyone a have/had one that could tell me how they like/liked it?
    Mishimoto has been making cooling cores for years, but is very new to the air-air intercooler game for Subarus. Not to say that the TMIC isn't any good and I suppose I'd trust Mishimoto over any startup company, just I have no supporting data...

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    Cerakote Coatings: C-187Q Transfer Grey (Air Cure)

Ill find links that actually support me later if you really want me to. Notice I said thats not true about black but then said especially with heat dissipation coatings... liiiiike what I just linked. They have researched it and Ill have to find the data sheets and stuff. But yeah its about color somewhat but its also about the material you are using. The example I used it gray, and not black.

So you're saying painting it black will REDUCE it's ability to transfer heat? Because I was saying it would increase it's ability to transfer heat, which will cause it to heat soak even worse.. since when the car isn't moving the air outside the intercooler will obviously be hotter than the air inside it.

Mighty Car Mods did a youtube video on this recently that showed painting a TMIC black would be a bad idea..

In your opinion what would be your next 500-1000$ upgrade? I only have the cobb accessport running stage 2, an invidia bellmouth catless downpipe and blitz nur spec cat back. I was thinking maybe a blow off valve and intake? Or maybe brakes? I have brand new 17x7.5 rims with no tires, maybe put tires on them? Id like to see from people who know more than me what the best bang for my buck would be. Also im not too familiar with the accessport. Can i get a brief description of exactly what i have the ability to do with it. I dont know if i need to make adjustments with cpu or what. Teach me well!!

Good sticky summer tires, they are the most important factor for handling and braking. Also since you have a 2.0L wrx and didn't mention having a up pipe I would install one, consider it a preventative mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    So you're saying painting it black will REDUCE it's ability to transfer heat? Because I was saying it would increase it's ability to transfer heat, which will cause it to heat soak even worse.. since when the car isn't moving the air outside the intercooler will obviously be hotter than the air inside it.

Mighty Car Mods did a youtube video on this recently that showed painting a TMIC black would be a bad idea..
    Black will dissipate heat better yeah, but I would use the special heat dissipation coatings before just painting it black.

Also another guy and I will be doing his whole engine black in ceramic and heat dissipation coatings. My engine will be the control I guess. We will compare the heat dissipation coatings to mine which have none? Or at least are stock. (it has some type of gray coating but im assuming paint on the intercooler) So Ill have some of my own results too at some point. Not sure if we will be using that gray or black.

zax

Facebook me here

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    **** YOUR SCIENCE YO!!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerPedro View Post
    In your opinion what would be your next 500-1000$ upgrade? I only have the cobb accessport running stage 2, an invidia bellmouth catless downpipe and blitz nur spec cat back. I was thinking maybe a blow off valve and intake? Or maybe brakes? I have brand new 17x7.5 rims with no tires, maybe put tires on them? Id like to see from people who know more than me what the best bang for my buck would be. Also im not too familiar with the accessport. Can i get a brief description of exactly what i have the ability to do with it. I dont know if i need to make adjustments with cpu or what. Teach me well!!
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Good sticky summer tires, they are the most important factor for handling and braking. Also since you have a 2.0L wrx and didn't mention having a up pipe I would install one, consider it a preventative mod.

Yep.. uppipe and tires. Although I suppose it does depend on what wheels you have, and what tires you have on your current wheels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast