EFR 6758 Repair
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EFR 6758 Repair within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was helping my buddy with his 2014 WRX put on an EFR 6758 turbo, and as he was ...

EFR 6758 Repair

So I was helping my buddy with his 2014 WRX put on an EFR 6758 turbo, and as he was threading in the coolant bolt this happened...

Now I know the entire housing can be replaced, but I was wondering if we could weld in a Steel 14mm to -4 AN fitting and have it not leak. Anyone have any ideas?
    2008 Victory Red Cobalt SS Turbo
    24 psi Tune, TurboXS Catless DP, Injen upper CP, Hahn CAI, Forge VTA BOV, twin Aeroforce Interceptors, Powell Race shop CABs, CM Lowering springs, Treadstone TR10 Big FMIC.
    2014 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl
    Stock...for now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't have experience with this, so take my response with a grain of salt:

what is that: cast steel? Iron? Since it's a turbo I bet you're figuratively playing with fire by trying to connect metals together. I suspect the worst that could happen after a weld is it would fail by cracking, cause the turbo to seize or drain the car of coolant or oil through the leak. If you catch it fast enough, maybe it would not even be so bad?

Is the reason that the housing is cast because that is a cheap process? Is the surface of the casting hardened (ball peen or something)? If you weld something onto it, do you have the means to characterize the joint to be sure that the connection has similar properties to the casing?
    David - '05 WRX

It is Cast Iron I believe. Tested it with a magnet.

Its coolant feed, so if it started leaking it wouldn't be detrimental to the car/turbo because the oil feed/return is fine. There are oil-only turbos that have no problems, but I dont want to run that chance of it leaking.

The replacement cartridge is 800 bucks from Borg Warner.
    24 psi Tune, TurboXS Catless DP, Injen upper CP, Hahn CAI, Forge VTA BOV, twin Aeroforce Interceptors, Powell Race shop CABs, CM Lowering springs, Treadstone TR10 Big FMIC.
    Stock...for now

Again, I have no experience with this.

It sounds like you're going to end up buying one anyway if this fails, so why not give it a try.

My rudimentary googling skills have returned this:
    Making turbo manifolds out of cast iron

I suspect that cast iron is used because it is cheap and because this is not a load bearing part (thus the brittleness does not matter much).

Apparently, it may be difficult to weld to the turbo due to differences in thermal expansion coef., hence that thread suggested heating the whole thing up during the process.

Are there any high temp., solid gasket materials which would be better to use instead of a weld?
    David - '05 WRX

Interesting, I had not thought about using a gasket like material. Coolant isn't a very his PSI, maybe 20 or 30 at most so it would only need to fill that void. And you are correct, Either I try to fix it and if it doesn't work, he is out 800 bucks for a replacement cartridge. Either way, it doesn't hurt to at least try.
    Stock...for now

bump
    Stock...for now

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe I am not understanding this but your buddy is just blocking off the coolant passages yes? As those are just set screws right?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

We were trying to hook the coolant passages up, and he torqued it down and it split.
    Stock...for now

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.