E85 help

This is a discussion on E85 help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About what size injectors are best to use, and about how much mpg do you lose for running e85?...

E85 help

About what size injectors are best to use, and about how much mpg do you lose for running e85?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Injector size is based on your turbo size and other modifications.. e85 takes roughly 1/3 more fuel, so.. 33% larger injectors than you would need for gasoline, and about 33% reduced mileage.. roughly.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're on the stock turbo I'd get Injector Dynamics 1000ccs, they are really smooth and most tuners I know love them because they're effortless to tune. They also generally cost the same as 850s depending on what brand you look at and it's always good to have overhead in case you want to throw on a bigger turbo in the future.

I also see you didn't mention a fuel pump, that will be necessary as well, I went with the Walbro 255 but the DW65c would work as well, you could also go bigger here as well if you're thinking of future upgrades. Just things to think about.

As far as mileage, I get 170-220ish a tank depending how I drive (2012 STi)...if I take it easy I can probably get 230 maybe a little more but with the extra power I have a hard time keeping my foot off the throttle.

I'm running Injector Dynamics 1000 and a DW65c fuel pump...

My car gets 36mpg ACN91 and 18mpg on E85... Freeway miles... Around the city, its about 27mpg/15mpg
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

Have the Injector Dynamics 1000 and DW65C fuel pump (on cart)... what kind of fuel filter line do i need? any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by henryjbones View Post
    Have the Injector Dynamics 1000 and DW65C fuel pump (on cart)... what kind of fuel filter line do i need? any recommendations?

Are you asking about the fuel filter? Or fuel line?

Either way, what comes on the car from the factory works.. if you are just looking to upgrade and want something that will have superior performance for e85, then I suggest something like the Fore Innovations F-10 inline fuel filter, with a stainless steel 10 micron filter media, and any decent brand name PTFE fuel line. While the nitrile fuel line that's already on the car won't deteriorate from ethanol, it is permeable, so the smell of ethanol will seep through the line. PTFE (Teflon) fuel line is not permeable, so it won't smell.. but it's also non-stick, so getting it to make a good tight seal is difficult (you may need to use crimp on type AN fittings to get a good seal with PTFE fuel line).

Yes, I am looking to convert to E85, and have a double tune for 91 as well. I thought all i needed was the fuel pump and injectors but a friend told me that I also needed a "fuel filter line" and wasn't sure what he meant.

Yes, I am looking to convert to E85, and have a double tune for 91 as well. I thought all i needed was the fuel pump and injectors but a friend told me that I also needed a "fuel filter line" and wasn't sure what he meant.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I figured that...
    besides the fuel pump and injectors what else would i need for E85? Thanks for the help

I figured that...
    besides the fuel pump and injectors what else would i need for E85? Thanks for the help

A tune.. that's it.

An ECA would be nice to have, but not necessary.. you would just need to test your fuel at the pump every time without one.