I just got home after finally starting down the upgrade path my 2011 WRX Hatch and I can hardly contain myself. The car is running so smooth and sounds so beautiful...Even my wife was impressed. Anybody whose married knows that's real talk.
So anyhow...Yeah. So many questions. But first, the specs:
Cobb Short Flow Intake w/box
Invidia Cat Back Q300
Cobb Access Port v3
Dyno Pro Tune
Unrelated to performance, I also got new 18" Enkei Raijin wheels and a set of Yokohama S-Drives. I'm moving to Socal next month so Subie will never see another winter again.
After tuning the report from the Dyno is Max 262HP at the wheels. I will share on the ride home, she felt 5-10% more powerful but I was also driving her the same way I used to...Expecting the engine to cut at 7K, etc. I'm really not sure how hard I'm supposed to push.
Here's my annoying list of n00b questions:
1. Tuner used a Dyno Dynamics dyno. I was told this is known as the heartbreaker dyno because it comes in low. Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas how low in terms of percentage? I know it's probably ridiculous to be obsessing over the numbers but I am curious to know what my HP really is now.
1a. What's the 'back of the napkin' conversion from HP at the wheel to HP at the crank?
2. During the tuning the car was dumping smoke (see ) is this normal? I am assuming it's because he was getting the mixtures right but I have no idea. I was watching some other videos of cars on the dyno and didn't see anything like this. The kid cleaning the shop said it was because he used some sort of solvent or something on all the rust from the old exhaust (I live in the NE now...Road salt is a killer). Note, I didn't notice any unusual smoke on the ride home.
3. I live at about 80 feet above sea level now. When I drive her across the country, should I mess with the mapping? How will it react to altitude all tuned for performance at sea level?
4. Any advice on where to go next with the tuning path?
5. How hard can I push this thing without blowing my engine??
6. Access port was reporting 16lbs of boost on the ride home...Does that seem realistic? Seems really high to me.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.