Kinugawa TD05 18G! good or bad?

This is a discussion on Kinugawa TD05 18G! good or bad? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone this is my first post so hello lol. I have a stock 04 wrx and I'm looking to ...

Kinugawa TD05 18G! good or bad?

Hello everyone this is my first post so hello lol. I have a stock 04 wrx and I'm looking to up the horses to around 300 to 320 I have already got 650cc injectors and a walbro 255ltr fuel pump. I will be getting in the near future a sti top mount intercooler and I'll be decat the zaust. Now onto turbos I have been doing a lot of research on this and probably my best bet is a vf35 but I have seen on Interweb eBay the K kinugawa TD05 18G item number 130345616682 are these good or bad. I have read good stuff and bad stuff but I'm asking have any of you peeps had any dealings with these or had one yourselves. Then I will get it mapped at a reputable place when I have fitted all the parts etc. Cheers everyone
    Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't speak for the quality of that turbo.
    I can say that there are a handful of known reliable compressor assemblies that are good.
    The reasons for sticking with the known brands and models are:

tuning is easy when we know how a turbo behaves
    it is already known what hardware will best support each turbo
    we have already destroyed enough of the bad ones to know which ones they are

that having been said, what is your price range, and what is your power goal?

also what other modifications are you planning to support this additional power?
    brakes and suspension, probably clutch and maybe even gears will have to go along in the modifications list if you plan big power.

as for the numbers that particular compressor from Kinugawa actually generates, I cannot say, I would have to have one, and install it, and find out.... which is what you will be doing.

When we don't know a company's test results vs real world known benchmarks, it is impossible to determine how the car will react to their parts. That is just as true with a turbo as any other part. Sticking with the very large variety of good known turbos would be wise for the $.

Give us your price range, let us describe various compressors and their benefits and drawbacks, then decide based on that information. A brand being cheap is not a good way to get power that is satisfying for very long.

one more thing.... the 18g is a high spooling turbo. it will be laggy, and peaky.
    there is no real way that I know of to mechanically extend the boost range on it.

I would guess a degree of clipping and maybe porting the hotside would make it less peaky and have more lag but a great deal of boost, like 30psi at least...

which would mean a lot of money.....
    the 16g compressor wheel is probably more up your alley
    you can win race days on it, it's not uncommon.
    it's a zippy little wheel in a better casing.

I just thought I ought to address the turbo.
    yes it can work, no it's not ideal with an otherwise stock engine.
    id go so far as to say you should have rods beforehand, and they should be installed and corrected for, then get the turbo upgrade. the stock rods are cast and can shatter, destroying the engine for most of it's worth.
    forged rods can stand up to the 340+hp it seems you are aiming at.
    Your fueling needs can probably be met with a Walbro 255, easily obtainable from a lot of vendors.
    You will want to select an injector that is close to the fueling needs of the turbo you choose, with enough headroom to make the tune smooth. This will make sense as you investigate the variety of available turbos, there are a lot of them, many good ones, many bad ones. Asking questions is usually a good way to weed out the really bad ones. Don't be afraid to do that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lots of people have had great success with the Kinugawa/Kamak turbos. I personally would not have an issue running one.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/

Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hello impreza 2.0 and donkey, great for your knowledge on this small matter of turbo's lol. In reply to some of your questions I have been doing a great deal of research on this and your input has further cemented my decision in going for an ihi vf30. Your right in saying that it's a bit of a mine field to say the least in upgrading anything let alone the single most tunable part the turbo. In my quest to get more umph I have already purchased a walbro 255ltr fuel pump. Sard 650cc injectors an sti tmic and I will be decating the zaust. I would take it that it will need a hotter plug say pfr7b and obviously a decent map. I do t want to go too mad for horses as I still need it as an everyday car so I'm looking to go for a reliable 300/320 kind of figure with not too much lag. If I have to go to upgrade the rods and pistons and crank that will have to wait for another year or so if my engine lasts that is. It's done 60 thousand on the clock with full service history from subaru. So it should be OK for the odd stint of spirited driving. Cheers Jay

I am curious about this too! I have there turbo compressor wheel and exhaust wheel on my ct20b on my mr2 and it's amazing. Pushing close to 400whp at 30psi of boost. There turbos are awesome and efficient at high boost levels. I am trying to find a turbo for my 12 wrx will that bolt up to a 2012 wrx

Hiya mate I bought a vf30 instead of kinugawa as I want it to be reliable and having the kinugawa might fail can't afford to mess about with 500 cahooners. Cheers Jay