Engine/clutch problems??

This is a discussion on Engine/clutch problems?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Earlier this year I purchased a 2014 wrx with 24 miles on it. Loved it. Drove it back up to ...

Dog

Engine/clutch problems??

Earlier this year I purchased a 2014 wrx with 24 miles on it. Loved it. Drove it back up to chicago from florida and now I am sitting at 7600 miles. Anyway! I'm not going to BS you guys, I like to get on it every now and then. Just last night I was taking my girlfriend out to dinner and when I parked the car I noticed a very Subtle *tink tinktinktinktink tink* noise. However, when I pushed the clutch in the noise would go away and when I released the clutch it would start again. It isn't loud at all and I really have no idea how I noticed it. I haven't been able to find anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this?

ALSO, While researching this problem I found out that the wrx transmission and engines are very fragile. What exactly can they handle without blowing them to shreds? Props to anyone who can answer any of this. It would mean a lot. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you notice the noise before or after the car is turned off?

Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Did you notice the noise before or after the car is turned off?
    while the car was in idle

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A ticking noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed is probably the throw out bearing. It's not too expensive, but not exactly easy to replace either. If the noise bothers you, try taking it in to the dealership and complain about it. If it gets worse the TOB could wear out prematurely.. or it could continue making the noise for years and never really cause a problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    A ticking noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed is probably the throw out bearing. It's not too expensive, but not exactly easy to replace either. If the noise bothers you, try taking it in to the dealership and complain about it. If it gets worse the TOB could wear out prematurely.. or it could continue making the noise for years and never really cause a problem.
    +1 to bringing it to the dealership.

Dog
    +1 to bringing it to the dealership.

okay I have an exhaust system. Will they give me crap for this?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    okay I have an exhaust system. Will they give me crap for this?
    It depends on the dealership. Is it a full turboback exhaust system or just a catback? Either way, at least you will know what it wrong.

Dog
    It depends on the dealership. Is it a full turboback exhaust system or just a catback? Either way, at least you will know what it wrong.
    catback. Alright I'll bring it in. Thanks for the help, man.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    catback. Alright I'll bring it in. Thanks for the help, man.
    Catbacks are pretty much just noisemakers, so they shouldn't give you an issue with that.

I bought mine(2010 WRX) from the dealer with the stock Cat back in the trunk and they had no problems giving me the full warranty. This is, however, dealer specific, Meaning your dealer might not be as loosey goosey.
    Good Luck