Looking for a Turbo

This is a discussion on Looking for a Turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am now at the point where I need to replace my turbo. I wanted to find a japanese turbocharger ...

Looking for a Turbo

I am now at the point where I need to replace my turbo. I wanted to find a japanese turbocharger that would fit my O5 STi. Does anyone know where to buy one? One that would reduce t-lag.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    New, used? To make this clear, you're looking for something smaller than the stock turbo?

I Support ClubWRX
    Why does it have to be Japanese? There are other variables besides just a turbo that can affect spool up.

Sent from my magic banana...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

if you want better quicker spool you can go with equal length headers, aftermarket turboinlet and intake, bigger top mount intercooler..... turbonator.....(jk about the turbonator lol)

if you get a smaller turbo i feel like your gonna be sad when it spools up
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    if you want better quicker spool you can go with equal length headers, aftermarket turboinlet and intake, bigger top mount intercooler..... turbonator.....(jk about the turbonator lol)

if you get a smaller turbo i feel like your gonna be sad when it spools up
    Basically this plus a downpipe should help. go with a smaller turbo and you will probably regret it, especially just for some quicker spool which may or may not be noticeable anyway. from what I've heard these cats already spool pretty quick, but I can't say for experience since this is my first turbocharged car.
    If you're looking for instant boost you're never going to find it from a turbo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

/\/\/\
    THIS
    youll get used to the spool and youll adapt to it. do the things i said and itll help you. also if you have or ever get a front mount intercooler, you can reverse the intake manifold so theres less piping, making the spool quicker...... whatever you do, TUNE FOR IT

Thanks for the suggestions, but... just looking to replace my turbo. Nothing fancy, just stock or one that was made for this car. Mechanic told me that there is one that is specific to this car. And its from Japan. Not this old turbo that's been used in every Subaru in the US. Just repeating what he said.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by orphancrippler View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, but... just looking to replace my turbo. Nothing fancy, just stock or one that was made for this car. Mechanic told me that there is one that is specific to this car. And its from Japan. Not this old turbo that's been used in every Subaru in the US. Just repeating what he said.

The vf39, which is the stock turbo made specifically for your car, is made in Japan.. In fact, every turbo that has been used on a Subaru from the factory, regardless of whether the car was made for US or foreign market, has been a Japanese made turbo. There have been five different Japanese turbos used as OEM on Subarus in the US since 2002, not just the one that came on your car. There are also a number of other aftermarket turbos which have been designed to fit on your car which are made in Japan as well, so it's kind of hard to get at what your mechanic was telling you. Sounds like he likely doesn't know what he's talking about.

Keep in mind, if you're changing to a different turbo, you will need to have the car custom tuned to run properly and prevent catastrophic engine damage. If you're not looking to make more power with the car, then the obvious answer is to find another used vf39 to go on your car and call it a day.

only way to do "nothing fancy" is to get the same thing you already got..... or ya know, you could do it another way and get more out of your car by spending pretty much the same amount of money

I Support ClubWRX
    A IHI VF39,43 or 48 will work. These are all Subaru factory turbos and use the same compressor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S