COBB Catless DP 2.5" Taper
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on COBB Catless DP 2.5" Taper within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well...I have posted on here before and been ostracized. I mostly go about on my own trusting the tuners at ...

I Support ClubWRX

COBB Catless DP 2.5" Taper

Well...I have posted on here before and been ostracized. I mostly go about on my own trusting the tuners at the local shop in my area.

I haven't modded my car a lot beyond full HID retrofit and Kartboy ST Shifter. I love my WRX but the warranty period is expired and I just ordered up the following:

COBB V3 Accessport
    COBB SF Cold Air Intake
    COBB Catted 3" Stainless DP (end flange tapers to a 2.5" as per specs)
    COBB Turbo Heat Shield
    Invidia N1 Ti Tip Dual Exit 3" CatBack

All of this cost me a pretty penny being up in Canada. I got pretty good prices though as my local tuning shop is affiliated with COBB as they come up on COBB's website of approved tuners/installers.

My tuner assured me that all this equipment i'm having put on will not require any tuning beyond the OTS tunes he will put in with AP. What do you make of this? I asked about doing a professional street tune once all the parts are on and he still was adamant that with the AP and COBB Intake and COBB CATTED DP the OTS maps will work as he has already upgraded a few 09+ WRXs. He says if I run 93 Octane the OTS maps will work just fine. I suppose if they don't work I can have it tuned after the fact...but I gotta trust my tuner. What do you think? Any 09 owners out there who have done these mods?

Also, is the taper on the DP gonna affect the installation of the 3" CatBack Invidia exhaust? My tuner put all this together for me and wasn't worried about fitment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you trust Cobb?

They claim that they have OTS maps for Stage 2 that support their SF intake.

COBB Tuning - Accessport Off The Shelf Maps

(The other options are stock and AEM.)

The Invidia exhaust is supposed to be a direct bolt-on to the stock DP. The Cobb DP uses exactly the same coupling.

Invidia N1 Cat Back Exhaust Titanium Tips Subaru Sedan WRX 2008-2014 / STI Sedan 2011-2014 / Forester XT 2009-2014 HS11STIGTT at RallySportDirect.com

Is your tuner going to do any tuning? Everything that you list could be done as a DIY project.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
    Also, is the taper on the DP gonna affect the installation of the 3" CatBack Invidia exhaust? My tuner put all this together for me and wasn't worried about fitment.

It probably won't bolt right up, but you should be able to drill out the bolt holes on the flange, elongate them, to where you can make it bolt up. It's not ideal, but should work.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no reason not to trust COBB at this time. I have NEVER used them and cant dig up a reason to not trust them. If you know of one or more, please even PM me. I have time before I go ahead with this. Their shop is booked nearly 1 month ahead most times.

My first WRX, my first mod, and the boys at the tuning garage are preceded by their reputation. Do I trust them? I have to. DIY? No can do. I don't have the time or space or the dexterity required. I already know it can be done without help. Will they be doing any tuning? Well, he did mention there would be about some tuning involved.

I am glad to know the piping will all hook up. Thanks for the links and info. I suppose the shop guy knew it would work as well.

I did look at other makes of CAI...but since COBB has a packaged deal for the AP, SF CAI, and AIR BOX...it was a good deal. I also got a good discount on the COBB catted DP and so that is why I went with COBB for everything. The guy gets me more discount than the COBB website itself and I save on shipping.

I have no reason not to trust COBB at this time. I have NEVER used them and cant dig up a reason to not trust them. If you know of one or more, please even PM me. I have time before I go ahead with this. Their shop is booked nearly 1 month ahead most times.

My first WRX, my first mod, and the boys at the tuning garage are preceded by their reputation. Do I trust them? I have to. DIY? No can do. I don't have the time or space or the dexterity required. I already know it can be done without help. Will they be doing any tuning? Well, he did mention there would be about some tuning involved.

I am glad to know the piping will all hook up. Thanks for the links and info. I suppose the shop guy knew it would work as well.

I did look at other makes of CAI...but since COBB has a packaged deal for the AP, SF CAI, and AIR BOX...it was a good deal. I also got a good discount on the COBB catted DP and so that is why I went with COBB for everything. The guy gets me more discount than the COBB website itself and I save on shipping.
    I know of nothing against Cobb, other than that they are a bit pricey. (The price is supposed to buy quality, fitment, and support.) I have read a tuner or two rant against them, but I guess that may mostly be due to how Cobb dominates the market.

I installed a Cobb downpipe and heatshield last weekend. (I've had them for many months. Bought then when Cobb had a sale last fall.) The fitment with the DP was perfect. The heatshield, less so. (The clearance for the wastegate actuator could have been better. The shield is basically bent SS sheet, with a few slotted holes.)

Are you getting the airbox with the intake? I'm not sure whether it's the best thing to have, but it might reduce worries about the intake drawing in water. (It also supposedly helps maintain lower intake air temperatures, even though that may be counter-intuitive.)

I don't have enough experience yet, but I expect you're going to like your mods.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    I know of nothing against Cobb

Well.. they attempted to scam me (double charging for parts), and I personally know a few people who had their cars ruined at Cobb's shop in Plano.. and when they reached out to Cobb for help they were told to go kick rocks.

Also, their OTS tunes have been linked to more than a few engine failures.. but to me, that's in part fault of the owner for not logging after changing their tune.

My experience with Cobb has been entirely positive. I ran Stage 2 ots maps for my 05 WRX with zero problems.

For the most part, they are trusted by the Subaru community. They build quality parts that tend to be quite a bit more expensive than most other aftermarket manufacturers. The only thing that I can really suggest is do your research. Dig and dig and then dig some more. Then, once you feel that you have enough info, make your decision. No matter what, you'll miss something, but try to be as informed as possible.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I went ahead and subsequently ordered the coupling which will mate the 3" exhaust to the COBB catted DP. I know it has been applied without use of the coupler, but I want no leaks down the road. It was only $35. I just dropped $1500 on TBE and so whats another $35.

I now have my DP and will take it over to a local coat shop and have it coated in ceramic. What do you guys think of this? I have read tirelessly about heat tape, titanium, wrap, etc. Everybody has an opinion, good and bad. I figure for longevity, reliability, and efficiency, ceramic coating is the way to go. I hope I am not wrecking my DP. I am getting it done for $25/lineal foot. The COBB DP comes in just under 5 feet. It will be a bit pricey. The titanium wrap kit costs $75 in Canada anyways. I would rather pay $125 and get it done right.

Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated. I still have not done anything. Got one week to decide.

Will post pics of my pipe before and after. Any guys out in BC, Canada looking for a coat shop...PM me and I can give contact info.

Thanks again peeps!

Any reason you went with the Cobb DP instead of the Invidia? Cobb's DP tampers down to a 2.5 inch when it meets up to the catback. And you ordered a 3 inch catback. It will restrict flow a little bit. Enough to lose power? I doubt it. But the invidia one is top notch and cheaper than the cobb DP. Then it would be a true 3 inch turbo-back.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Any reason you went with the Cobb DP instead of the Invidia? Cobb's DP tampers down to a 2.5 inch when it meets up to the catback. And you ordered a 3 inch catback. It will restrict flow a little bit. Enough to lose power? I doubt it. But the invidia one is top notch and cheaper than the cobb DP. Then it would be a true 3 inch turbo-back.
    Hey WRX maniac!! You are asking a most legit and good question in retrospect. Lack of the taper knowledge beforehand is what did it. COBB really doesn't make that clear. I should have done more digging. As someone else said, dig dig dig until the end...then buy.

Sucks because I feel like I am getting some kind of inferior product. The other reason I am getting it is because the discount was big as I paid less than COBB charges on their site. I got a combined saving for the DP, AP and the SF intake/airbox combo. I also bought a COBB Turbo Heat shield. All at a discount.

I am now feeling I should have just bought the Invidia complete TBE...but its too late now. Parts are sitting at the local tuner garage and slotted to go in on Thursday the 26th.

I hope its not a huge performance problem.

lesson learned though. gotta think things through before buying. I thought I had, but not enough apparently.

Why does COBB put the stupid taper anyways?

Why does COBB put the stupid taper anyways?
    So that their DP will bolt up to a stock or SPT catback without adapters. (Some aftermarket catbacks are also designed to bolt to the OEM downpipe/midpipe without adapters, so they'd fit as well.

(I'm using a Cobb DP with my stock catback, 2013 WRX. Didn't want any additional sound effects.)

According to RallySportDirect:

"The power gains with an Invidia turbo back will be very similar to a Cobb turbo back. The main difference is Cobb's downpipe tapers to 2.5, which would not affect power output until you reach about 400-450+whp."

Does that satisfy you?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    So that their DP will bolt up to a stock or SPT catback without adapters. (Some aftermarket catbacks are also designed to bolt to the OEM downpipe/midpipe without adapters, so they'd fit as well.

(I'm using a Cobb DP with my stock catback, 2013 WRX. Didn't want any additional sound effects.)

According to RallySportDirect:

"The power gains with an Invidia turbo back will be very similar to a Cobb turbo back. The main difference is Cobb's downpipe tapers to 2.5, which would not affect power output until you reach about 400-450+whp."

Does that satisfy you?
    Hello bobkn,

Thanks for the replies man!

I missed that tidbit on the RSD website. That certainly does satisfy me for sure, well, at least not worried about it anymore. I am sure I will be happy.

Lets be real here, I am not looking to make this a 400hp+ car. After these mods are done, I am going to install a double A-Pillar gauge pod, then I will tackle sways, endlinks, bushings, lowering and new rims and tires.

Also, to answer an earlier question you had, I am getting the SF Airbox as well. I have read the cons about how it raises the IATs but I will have to find out the hard way for myself to see what my experience will be. I live in considerably cool climate and am not a racer or at the track. Just an aggressive daily commuter and the occasional weekend bruiser! I will have a COBB v3 next week as well with all the parts to go on, so I will monitor my IATs with that. ( at least I think that parameter is covered with the AP?)

Thanks,

Blammo

Running all Cobb parts, the ots tunes should be fine.

I would not worry about the figment between different exhausts.

I like Cobb a lot, but will not spent $600 on a down pipe that I would cut out the taper to have a full 3" exhaust.

I bought an Invidia catless down pipe and it bolted to the factory style flange(which I already fabricated a 3" mandrel bent single exhaust behind it)and ran it for a week and loved it. Since then, I cut the down pipe after the last bend welded on a 3" 3 bolt flange with a 3" cat and flanged the back, eliminating the bottle neck 2bolt flange, so i am 3"turbo to tip.

My reasons for doing this is that people are adamant about boost creep/spike without a cat( I never saw more than 18.1psi) and if I get pulled over and they stick a mirror under the car, it's over a $1000 fine and possible confiscation of vehicle in CA.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just posted this on the 2.5": Cobb tuning parts... I need advice ☺
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

As I stated, the fact that the cobb tapers down to a 2.5 inch will not really affect power. But it does restrict flow a little bit. Not enough to be worried about. You will still be happy with the exhaust, cobb does make quality products. So rest assured knowing that you still made a good decision on parts. Invidia is just better IMO. lol.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.