Cobb Accessport Question

This is a discussion on Cobb Accessport Question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Been a long time since I've been here, can't tell you how busy life has been, but here I am. ...

Cobb Accessport Question

Been a long time since I've been here, can't tell you how busy life has been, but here I am. I am just a click away from buying the Cobb SF Intake (with airbox) and their Accessport. I had a couple of questions that I have been trying to get answered without any luck looking through here and nasioc. I apologize if this was answered somewhere else, I really did try to find something. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I am completely new to the turbo world and wanted to make sure I knew. When I reflash the ECM to put a new tune on it, do I have to "break in" the tune? Or is it more of a, just get used to the new feel of the car kinda thing? I've been reading a lot about these, but if there is anything else you think is particularly important for me to know about changing around my turbo engine I'd really appreciate it. Thanks as always!
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Depending on the way the tune is setup, there may be a "learning curve" on the tune, in which the advance multiplier is not set to full advance.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^Listen to whatever he tells you.

But I've had 13 different tune revisions on my wrx, and each one was rough and awful for about 50-100 miles until the car learned the tune. I did datalog twice immediately after flashing which I shouldn't have done.
    No mechanical jargon here, Just minor experience.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup. When you reset the car (to clear codes, load a new map), you reset the learned perimeters. The throttle response will seem unresponsive for the first day or two, depending on how much you drive it.

Happy I decided to ask. I know I'd be freaking out if I didn't hear this and tuned the car to find out that it feels really weird and wrong. I'll have to go around and drive it a lot this weekend to get through that "learning stage". Thank you!
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BPanda
    Happy I decided to ask. I know I'd be freaking out if I didn't hear this and tuned the car to find out that it feels really weird and wrong. I'll have to go around and drive it a lot this weekend to get through that "learning stage". Thank you!
    There is no "break-in" procedure like when your car was new; it just may not be performing at full-tilt right off the bat. Datalogs will tell you how the car is functioning with the installed map. If you're not comfortable interpreting them for yourself, upload them to Google Docs, set them to public, and post the links; we can give you some insight.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Will do, thank you EJ257, that would be very helpful. Once I have everything installed I'll probably have more questions on how to upload all of that.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

So I was thinking that I should run the data log before I even retune it or install the intake. I think it would be very interesting to see the gains anyways. This is all completely new to me, would you be able to tell me if my stock data log is looking good? Lol, who knows, maybe something is really wrong with the engine and this way I can get Subaru to fix it all before I play with modifications. Thank you for all the help you have already given me, I really do appreciate it
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately you can't do that. You have to install the accessport to datalog and to install the accessport you have to load a map.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Unfortunately you can't do that. You have to install the accessport to datalog and to install the accessport you have to load a map.
    Bpanda can load the stock map
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Bpanda can load the stock map
    I was not aware you could do this. I thought the stock map was just stored and would only load back when you un-married the device. I guess you learn something new every day.

I know when you plug in the accessport it uploads the stock tune on the device, but then I need to tune the car with that stock information? Doesn't seem to make much sense to tune a car with the tune it has on it already. I'm 100% in the learning phase though so please correct me if I'm wrong. Just seems like I should be able to pull information off the ECM without having to change anything or put any new tune (or putting the stock tune on it) on the car.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    I know when you plug in the accessport it uploads the stock tune on the device, but then I need to tune the car with that stock information? Doesn't seem to make much sense to tune a car with the tune it has on it already. I'm 100% in the learning phase though so please correct me if I'm wrong. Just seems like I should be able to pull information off the ECM without having to change anything or put any new tune (or putting the stock tune on it) on the car.

Not sure if this is how the AP works.. but when you write a map to your ECU using ECUFlash, the first thing it does is check what's different in the new map, then it only writes the values that have changed from what was on the ECU to begin with. So if you're flashing the same map on the car, it will just check through, see nothing has changed, and finish without actually changing anything on the ECU.