2015 WRX engine mods help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX engine mods help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just joined the Subaru community (just turned 18 and bought my first car - 2015 WRX). I have ...

2015 WRX engine mods help

So I just joined the Subaru community (just turned 18 and bought my first car - 2015 WRX). I have wanted this car since I was a little kid and finally achieved my goal and bought it. Im quickly approaching the end of the break-in period and one of my plans was to build the car from the ground up. I have looked around the forum and haven't seen any threads about the new WRX 2.0L engine.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the new engine will allow me to use the same mods that people have been using on their 2008+ WRXs. My plan was to buy the cobb stage 2+ kit and also a water/methane injection kit. I have done a bit of research on both and decided that these were the first mods i wanted to put into my Rex. Can i use the same cobb stage 2 kit that the 2014 Rex used? I was also wondering if either of these two mods would result in the dealership voiding my warranty

Sorry for asking stupid questions but i just got my car and want to know what you guys were thinking
    -Tim S.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No the 2014 wont work different engines keep reading the forums and use the search I can see this thread getting out of control.

Just wait people are developing mods for the car it just takes time since the wrx has different engine layout.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Thanks for clarifying. I had a feeling that i wouldn't be able to use the 2014 engine mods. Cant wait till the new ones come out!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Meth injection is not a good place to start, especially since you already have DI.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep an eye on the different build threads to see what new products are popping up for the cars.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Hey Zax, if i have $600 to spend on an upgrade what should i get instead of a meth injection?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by 2015REX View Post
    Hey Zax, if i have $600 to spend on an upgrade what should i get instead of a meth injection?
    Better TMIC. Keep in mind $600 won't buy you a meth injection kit. While you can buy the hardware for $600, a tune will cost you an additional $500.

Facebook me here

One other question is if i buy multiple parts, can i install all of them at once and buy 1 tune or do i have to get them all the tunes separately

purchase all of the mods and do one tune. saves some money but if your tuner is nice they will probably only charge $50 for a re-tune(this is of course unless you get some serious mods and need a full tune again)

On a side note is the "new" 2.0 not just a turbocharged FA20? If so you could start with some basic mods from a BRZ... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800px-Engine_room_of_Subaru_BRZ.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	151361
    Last edited by G0ATLIF3; 05-27-2014 at 09:18 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    SCCA Driver Training course, plus some AutoX days. You're 18, a stock 268hp WRX has PLENTY of power, and I seriously doubt you have the experience to drive even the factory stock car at ten-tenths. I don't care how mature or careful of a driver you might thing you are.

Mod-wise, leave it stock until the warranty is up, then look at upgrading the braking system (pads, disks, and SS lines). Install shifter/drivetrain bushings to firm up the drivetrain slop. Look at lighter wheels to lose some unsprung weight (stock wheels are pushing 22lbs/ea now). Stay away from swaybars/springs/struts until you are experienced on the AutoX circuit and know how each of these components impacts handling. With the much tighter handling the '15 WRX is reported to have, you might not even want them.

TL;DR: You're young, so focus on being the best driver you possibly can and understand every aspect of how the car performs before doing anything.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ATLIF3 View Post
    On a side note is the "new" 2.0 not just a turbocharged FA20? If so you could start with some basic mods from a BRZ... Correct me if I'm wrong
    Because the FA20DIT is turbocharged, the entire intake path and exhaust path are different from the FA20 in the BRZ. Furthermore, the heads in the BRZ are different and the FA20 in the BRZ uses port injectors AND head injectors (total of 8) vs. Only the head injectors in the WRX. Almost nothing can be swapped.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    SCCA Driver Training course, plus some AutoX days. You're 18, a stock 268hp WRX has PLENTY of power, and I seriously doubt you have the experience to drive even the factory stock car at ten-tenths. I don't care how mature or careful of a driver you might thing you are.

Mod-wise, leave it stock until the warranty is up, then look at upgrading the braking system (pads, disks, and SS lines). Install shifter/drivetrain bushings to firm up the drivetrain slop. Look at lighter wheels to lose some unsprung weight (stock wheels are pushing 22lbs/ea now). Stay away from swaybars/springs/struts until you are experienced on the AutoX circuit and know how each of these components impacts handling. With the much tighter handling the '15 WRX is reported to have, you might not even want them.

TL;DR: You're young, so focus on being the best driver you possibly can and understand every aspect of how the car performs before doing anything.

+1 to this. ive had my 02 for two years and have no idea yet on how much lateral grip it has. or how it will corner under competitive conditions let alone race conditions like a track day event. solution, scca club racing and club events. i probably drive my car fairly mello compared to some but you have to agree....wait till its broke in properly and the warranty is up before modding and rodding it. i cant imagine rolling into a dealer with a meth injection kit and a tune, expecting them to repair anything drivetrain under warranty. thats just imo tho
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

The meth kit isn't being put in for Hp. It helps stop detonation in the cylinders which will actually make the car a little safer. If i get the meth kit i am planning on using a 50:50 mix of water and methane. This will help keep the temperature down . It also has the added bonus of giving the car a bit more power.
    I think the tune would probably void the warranty just because the dealership can easily blame any problems i have on it. I think im going to spend my money on aesthetics instead of performance. My rex is all white with the stock black rims. Thinking of adding red lug nuts, red and black badges, and painting my brake calipers red. Any suggestions on other things i should do?
    Last edited by 2015REX; 05-27-2014 at 08:30 PM.

I have been racing on the track with my dad since i was 12. His passion is racing so we used to do it as a pass time. He's your classic ricer... He has his old civic that he's been racing since i was 10 which he bumped up to 375whp. I think i got driving my car on the road down. I just need to practice on the track a bit once its broken in. Cant wait!!

zax
    The meth kit isn't being put in for Hp. It helps stop detonation in the cylinders which will actually make the car a little safer. If i get the meth kit i am planning on using a 50:50 mix of water and methane. This will help keep the temperature down . It also has the added bonus of giving the car a bit more power.
    I think the tune would probably void the warranty just because the dealership can easily blame any problems i have on it. I think im going to spend my money on aesthetics instead of performance. My rex is all white with the stock black rims. Thinking of adding red lug nuts, red and black badges, and painting my brake calipers red. Any suggestions on other things i should do?
    Good, then you also understand what a more efficient TMIC and direct injection does for charge temps.

You haven't been around here long... Don't lecture me on aftermarket parts

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast