Relocate MAF/IAT - elimate FMIC rich dip??

This is a discussion on Relocate MAF/IAT - elimate FMIC rich dip?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I read that if you relocate your MAF/IAT senor (or replace) to be post IC and before the intake you ...

Relocate MAF/IAT - elimate FMIC rich dip??

I read that if you relocate your MAF/IAT senor (or replace) to be post IC and before the intake you can eliminate the rich dip that occurs on a FMIC.
    If you done this I'd love to hear some pros/cons and if it actually helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What rich dip? FMIC shouldn't cause the car to go rich unless it's not tuned correctly.

A FMIC has a lot more piping and all the ECU knows is what MAF sensor reports for current air flow. So when you hit the gas the ECU sees a large amount of air getting sucked into the turbo. Until the FMIC and pipes have filled up the ECU will inject more fuel than needed. You can't really tune this out since you can hit the same load under different conditions (go up hill or down hill). You might think you tuned this out but then in another situation you'll be lean and knock.

Here is a blurb about this on romraider http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/FMICRichDip
    In theory if you move the MAF sensor close to the manifold intake you'll know the 'real' air entering the engine.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm.. personally, I would just switch to speed density rather than trying to screw with blow through (and I wouldn't do either unless you're running a big turbo and the car is retired to weekend duty or the track). For what it's worth, I've been running a FMIC since 2008, and according to my WBO2, there is no such rich dip.. my AFRs have always been really smooth and linear. Unless I was having a fueling issue that is.