PWest TMIC VS Tomei ELH
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

This is a discussion on PWest TMIC VS Tomei ELH within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2011 WRX with a TP stage 2. The wife gave me the go ahead to spend around ...

  1. #1
    Registered User 386WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Port Orange Florida
    Posts
    360

    PWest TMIC VS Tomei ELH

    I have a 2011 WRX with a TP stage 2. The wife gave me the go ahead to spend around 1500$ on my car. Naturally, I want more power.

    Current Mods: Catless DP, DEI titanium wrap, ptp turbo blanket, Cobb SRI /w box, premium fluids done at 60k miles, still on stock catback.

    Future mod Route:

    Pro tune at Circuit Motorsports in Orlando FL. Mustang Dyno.

    GS EBCS
    Aftermarket BPV, not sure which one.
    DW 65c fuel pump
    NGK one step colder plugs
    Process West TMIC OR Tomei ELH with uppipe (no EWG)

    I do not auto X, I may drag it once or twice, I just like a fast and fun DD for when my pre-workout kicks in on the way to the gym.

    I want to retain stock injectors, turbo, and catback (absolutely hate the sound of ELH)

    Any of these good options? or give up on straight line performance with a WRX and a stock turbo?
    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User cflip2x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,434
    I Support ClubWRX
    I say go with suspension mods swaybars endlinks maybe transmission mount. Talk to the tuner and see what they say with the headers for a stock turbo. You may also want to add some larger injectors to your list. Though I still say go with suspension upgrades not necessarily coil overs.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

    CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

  4. #3
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you really want more power to the wheels I would go with the TMIC over the ELH... and this is why I think so. The TMIC is essential, in my opinion, in pushing more boost. I believe this because I don't think the stock WRX TMIC can safely handle more than 16-17 psi of boost. Therefor making the TMIC more of a necessary mod before the ELH. Again this is just my opinion and others may have other mod order opinions.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  5. #4
    Registered User cflip2x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,434
    I Support ClubWRX
    Grimmspeed is working on a TMIC for the 08-14 WRX's just an FYI
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

    CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

  6. #5
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Grimmspeed is working on a TMIC for the 08-14 WRX's just an FYI
    As is Mishimoto, and Perrin already has one as well.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  7. #6
    Registered User 386WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Port Orange Florida
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    I say go with suspension mods swaybars endlinks maybe transmission mount. Talk to the tuner and see what they say with the headers for a stock turbo. You may also want to add some larger injectors to your list. Though I still say go with suspension upgrades not necessarily coil overs.
    Ya I know that suspension mods are highly recommended, but coming from a saggy GTO and a 2001 z28, this is on RR tracks. Pitch stop? My tuner says the difference between UEL and ELH is negligible, to get a top mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Grimmspeed is working on a TMIC for the 08-14 WRX's just an FYI
    I had no idea they are working on a TMIC, id love that; if it has around the same size core as the PWest for a couple hundred less, id be a tester! Do you know release date? If not ill email them.

  8. #7
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,188
    At your current levels (OTS Stage 2) UEL and ELH are sort of negligible. If you're planning on a protune, then they would benefit you.

    McBill was on point with the stock TMIC though...the plastic endtanks are a common source of failure (along with the plastic BPV).

    Look for a used PW TMIC and BPV...I got mine for $550. You'll have money left over for a good protune, AND you can add sways/endlinks.

    However I see you have no mention on braking help...I'd find a way to throw in a good pad upgrade as well as stainless lines and better fluid. If you are going to go fast, you're going to want to be able to stop equally as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  9. #8
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,852
    I Support ClubWRX
    There isn't really a proper answer for this question, I feel; both have their merits...

    A quality EL manifold will allow you to make more power on the same/less boost pressures as the OE cast UEL one.

    A quality TMIC will reduce pressure drop meaning you can run more manifold pressure with the same compressor pressure plus the additional cooling.

    If it were me, I would focus on TMIC/BPV simply because you're reducing a weakpoint in the system. However, another weak point in the system is the fueling; you're maxed @ S2. On an STI, where the plastic bits aren't a concern, EL manifold all the way.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  10. #9
    Registered User cflip2x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,434
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Ya I know that suspension mods are highly recommended, but coming from a saggy GTO and a 2001 z28, this is on RR tracks. Pitch stop? My tuner says the difference between UEL and ELH is negligible, to get a top mount.



    I had no idea they are working on a TMIC, id love that; if it has around the same size core as the PWest for a couple hundred less, id be a tester! Do you know release date? If not ill email them.

    Totally agree with the feeling my previous was a 94 firebird with 220,400ish miles on it and this is totally different. The way I see it as you make more power you want to make sure you in control of it so better brake pads and lines wouldnt be much out of your budget. Though I do understand where Mice is coming with the OEM intercooler and BPV they dont hold up well past the 19-20 range My max boost is set and 19 and luckily it has been fine.

    im following them on instagram and saw this earlier this month
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

    CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

  11. #10
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,522
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Totally agree with the feeling my previous was a 94 firebird with 220,400ish miles on it and this is totally different. The way I see it as you make more power you want to make sure you in control of it so better brake pads and lines wouldnt be much out of your budget. Though I do understand where Mice is coming with the OEM intercooler and BPV they dont hold up well past the 19-20 range My max boost is set and 19 and luckily it has been fine.

    im following them on instagram and saw this earlier this month
    That looks good. If it is price competitively compared to the PW I may get theirs instead of PW's like I had planned in the future.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  12. #11
    Registered User 386WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Port Orange Florida
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    At your current levels (OTS Stage 2) UEL and ELH are sort of negligible. If you're planning on a protune, then they would benefit you.

    McBill was on point with the stock TMIC though...the plastic endtanks are a common source of failure (along with the plastic BPV).

    Look for a used PW TMIC and BPV...I got mine for $550. You'll have money left over for a good protune, AND you can add sways/endlinks.

    However I see you have no mention on braking help...I'd find a way to throw in a good pad upgrade as well as stainless lines and better fluid. If you are going to go fast, you're going to want to be able to stop equally as well.
    Yes I plan on a protune at Circuit motorsports, however, they don't really recommend going ELH if I don't love the sound, and the the power difference is around 5 HP, but ive seen way high than that. If I could find a used PWest, thatd be best, but I have not seen any. I have not looked into breaking at all. All I have done is replace the fluid with RBF600 motul brake fluid.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There isn't really a proper answer for this question, I feel; both have their merits...

    A quality EL manifold will allow you to make more power on the same/less boost pressures as the OE cast UEL one.

    A quality TMIC will reduce pressure drop meaning you can run more manifold pressure with the same compressor pressure plus the additional cooling.

    If it were me, I would focus on TMIC/BPV simply because you're reducing a weakpoint in the system. However, another weak point in the system is the fueling; you're maxed @ S2. On an STI, where the plastic bits aren't a concern, EL manifold all the way.
    My fueling is maxed out, as in my injectors? Fuel pump is being replaced, but I really don't want to replace the injectors, unless I really cant get any more out of them. I agree both have their merits, that's why I want to know which one would be best if I had to choose. I'd love both, but it looks like a new TMIC with a BPV would be my best bet. GS and Mishimoto are coming out with theirs next month and the end of summer, so maybe I can pick up a new one as it comes out!

    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Totally agree with the feeling my previous was a 94 firebird with 220,400ish miles on it and this is totally different. The way I see it as you make more power you want to make sure you in control of it so better brake pads and lines wouldnt be much out of your budget. Though I do understand where Mice is coming with the OEM intercooler and BPV they dont hold up well past the 19-20 range My max boost is set and 19 and luckily it has been fine.

    im following them on instagram and saw this earlier this month
    I called GS and Mishimoto today. GS said it will be available at the end of summer. No price or core measurements. Guy said they are waiting for parts to come in to start welding.
    Mishimoto said that their TMIC is slotted to be unveiled at the end of this month or the beginning of June. Thanks for the very helpful advice!

  13. #12
    Registered User nsibanez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,547
    Going equal length also doesn't hurt your engine as much as unequal. My opinion I'd go headers first and then when I have the money get a new top mount

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

  14. #13
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,188
    Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Yes I plan on a protune at Circuit motorsports, however, they don't really recommend going ELH if I don't love the sound, and the the power difference is around 5 HP, but ive seen way high than that. If I could find a used PWest, thatd be best, but I have not seen any. I have not looked into breaking at all. All I have done is replace the fluid with RBF600 motul brake fluid.



    My fueling is maxed out, as in my injectors? Fuel pump is being replaced, but I really don't want to replace the injectors, unless I really cant get any more out of them. I agree both have their merits, that's why I want to know which one would be best if I had to choose. I'd love both, but it looks like a new TMIC with a BPV would be my best bet. GS and Mishimoto are coming out with theirs next month and the end of summer, so maybe I can pick up a new one as it comes out!
    Yeah Stage 2 pretty much maxes out your IDCs considering the stock WRX turbo actually flows very well. Increasing boost since you can now safely do it without blowing an intercooler means you'll need to increase fuel as well. Plus if the injectors are the bottle neck, a fuel pump won't really help out.

    As for ELHs, they aren't all about the max gains...they dramatically will shift your power curve, increase volumetric efficiency (Zax?) meaning more power through more of the power curve. Simply said, you may not make a ton more power, but you make BETTER power.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  15. #14
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,687
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you REALLY don't want to replace the injectors (not sure why), you can always buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and up the fuel pressure (since you already have a new pump). But that's not exactly the right way to go about it. .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •