Subaru WRX Forum banner

PWest TMIC VS Tomei ELH

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MainFrame 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 WRX with a TP stage 2. The wife gave me the go ahead to spend around 1500$ on my car. Naturally, I want more power.

Current Mods: Catless DP, DEI titanium wrap, ptp turbo blanket, Cobb SRI /w box, premium fluids done at 60k miles, still on stock catback.

Future mod Route:

Pro tune at Circuit Motorsports in Orlando FL. Mustang Dyno.

GS EBCS
Aftermarket BPV, not sure which one.
DW 65c fuel pump
NGK one step colder plugs
Process West TMIC OR Tomei ELH with uppipe (no EWG)

I do not auto X, I may drag it once or twice, I just like a fast and fun DD for when my pre-workout kicks in on the way to the gym.

I want to retain stock injectors, turbo, and catback (absolutely hate the sound of ELH)

Any of these good options? or give up on straight line performance with a WRX and a stock turbo?
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I say go with suspension mods swaybars endlinks maybe transmission mount. Talk to the tuner and see what they say with the headers for a stock turbo. You may also want to add some larger injectors to your list. Though I still say go with suspension upgrades not necessarily coil overs.

#6 ·
Ya I know that suspension mods are highly recommended, but coming from a saggy GTO and a 2001 z28, this is on RR tracks. Pitch stop? My tuner says the difference between UEL and ELH is negligible, to get a top mount.

Grimmspeed is working on a TMIC for the 08-14 WRX's just an FYI
I had no idea they are working on a TMIC, id love that; if it has around the same size core as the PWest for a couple hundred less, id be a tester! Do you know release date? If not ill email them.

#3 ·
If you really want more power to the wheels I would go with the TMIC over the ELH... and this is why I think so. The TMIC is essential, in my opinion, in pushing more boost. I believe this because I don't think the stock WRX TMIC can safely handle more than 16-17 psi of boost. Therefor making the TMIC more of a necessary mod before the ELH. Again this is just my opinion and others may have other mod order opinions.

#4 ·
Grimmspeed is working on a TMIC for the 08-14 WRX's just an FYI

#7 ·
At your current levels (OTS Stage 2) UEL and ELH are sort of negligible. If you're planning on a protune, then they would benefit you.

McBill was on point with the stock TMIC though...the plastic endtanks are a common source of failure (along with the plastic BPV).

Look for a used PW TMIC and BPV...I got mine for $550. You'll have money left over for a good protune, AND you can add sways/endlinks.

However I see you have no mention on braking help...I'd find a way to throw in a good pad upgrade as well as stainless lines and better fluid. If you are going to go fast, you're going to want to be able to stop equally as well.

#11 ·
Yes I plan on a protune at Circuit motorsports, however, they don't really recommend going ELH if I don't love the sound, and the the power difference is around 5 HP, but ive seen way high than that. If I could find a used PWest, thatd be best, but I have not seen any. I have not looked into breaking at all. All I have done is replace the fluid with RBF600 motul brake fluid.

There isn't really a proper answer for this question, I feel; both have their merits...

A quality EL manifold will allow you to make more power on the same/less boost pressures as the OE cast UEL one.

A quality TMIC will reduce pressure drop meaning you can run more manifold pressure with the same compressor pressure plus the additional cooling.

If it were me, I would focus on TMIC/BPV simply because you're reducing a weakpoint in the system. However, another weak point in the system is the fueling; you're maxed @ S2. On an STI, where the plastic bits aren't a concern, EL manifold all the way.
My fueling is maxed out, as in my injectors? Fuel pump is being replaced, but I really don't want to replace the injectors, unless I really cant get any more out of them. I agree both have their merits, that's why I want to know which one would be best if I had to choose. I'd love both, but it looks like a new TMIC with a BPV would be my best bet. GS and Mishimoto are coming out with theirs next month and the end of summer, so maybe I can pick up a new one as it comes out!

Totally agree with the feeling my previous was a 94 firebird with 220,400ish miles on it and this is totally different. The way I see it as you make more power you want to make sure you in control of it so better brake pads and lines wouldnt be much out of your budget. Though I do understand where Mice is coming with the OEM intercooler and BPV they dont hold up well past the 19-20 range My max boost is set and 19 and luckily it has been fine.

im following them on instagram and saw this earlier this month
I called GS and Mishimoto today. GS said it will be available at the end of summer. No price or core measurements. Guy said they are waiting for parts to come in to start welding.
Mishimoto said that their TMIC is slotted to be unveiled at the end of this month or the beginning of June. Thanks for the very helpful advice!

#8 ·
There isn't really a proper answer for this question, I feel; both have their merits...

A quality EL manifold will allow you to make more power on the same/less boost pressures as the OE cast UEL one.

A quality TMIC will reduce pressure drop meaning you can run more manifold pressure with the same compressor pressure plus the additional cooling.

If it were me, I would focus on TMIC/BPV simply because you're reducing a weakpoint in the system. However, another weak point in the system is the fueling; you're maxed @ S2. On an STI, where the plastic bits aren't a concern, EL manifold all the way.

#12 ·
Going equal length also doesn't hurt your engine as much as unequal. My opinion I'd go headers first and then when I have the money get a new top mount

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.