catless vs catted
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on catless vs catted within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know there are plenty of threads on this.. But i just cant make a decision.. I am really just ...

catless vs catted

I know there are plenty of threads on this.. But i just cant make a decision..

I am really just considering getting a catless dp because of the price, 480 compared to 250ish is a big difference.. I am just worried the wife will hate me for it since my car is the car we drive the most..

Is the scent of un burnt fuel really that bad, or are people blowing it out of proportion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well first off there are emissions tests in which a cat is required to pass in certain states. Technically a Cat is required in all states, just some like mine (Ohio) do not test yearly for it. If you live in a state that does not test then that is not an issue.

Next issue, the smell. It does not bother me one bit, but it does bother some people. I, personally, would not consider this an issue.

The biggest problem is that cattless downpipes can sometimes cause boost creep.. In some scenarios, this can be a serious issue. Obviously, any boost creep is unwanted and frankly not good. But extremely mild boost creep is manageable. Boost creep can only be fixed by doing 2 things. With minor mods all that is needed to fix it is a catted downpipe. Otherwise, if you wanted to keep the catless DP, you would have to purchase an external wastegate setup. Which is quite a bit more expensive than just purchasing a catted DP in the first place.

So then it comes down to this one question: Is buying a catless downpipe REALLY worth the possibility of having to spend an additional $500+ dollars on an EWG setup, Just to save a couple hundred bucks?
    Last edited by McBill; 05-13-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: I done skipped engrish class
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

hmm, well i guess i never thought about it that way... But when using a catless, the tune can help boost creep and prevent it( from what i know). So is the EWG absolutely necessary if you have boost creep or can you datalog and have it tuned out?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brennermoore View Post
    hmm, well i guess i never thought about it that way... But when using a catless, the tune can help boost creep and prevent it( from what i know). So is the EWG absolutely necessary if you have boost creep or can you datalog and have it tuned out?
    Anyone who tells you that boost creep can be tuned out is wrong. If you have boost creep then you have it and that's it. The reason you have boost creep is because even thought your waste gate duty is maxed out (fully open) there is still not enough excess gasses bypassing the turbo to keep the boost at the desired level.

Depending on how bad the creep is, I could see how some people would think that you can "tune it out" by possibly changing your peak boost. for example, if you have your peak boost set to 16psi and you are creeping only to a maximum of 19psi then yes, you could fix that by modifying the tune to have a max boost of 19psi (I would consider that a safe boost level still although some people may not and it depends on what other mods you have) and that would hopefully solve the problem. But lets say you have your peak boost set to 16psi and your boost is creeping all the way up to 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, etc. PSI, then the creep simply can not be tuned fixed with a different tune because those are some unsafe boost levels on the stock block and components (IMO at least).

All in all, it is what it is. If you have boost creep then that simply means that your current wastegate cannot handle the load you are trying to put on it and a bigger one is required. Simple as that.

NOTE: Most people who really know what they are doing in providing a safe build would argue that if you increase you peak boost to be 19psi then you would likely need a bigger intercooler, new Bypass valve and possibly a new boost controller.
    Last edited by McBill; 05-13-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

MTM
    Ill be swapping my stock for smog..

Well thank you "McBill" for helping me make up my mind.. I guess i will just hold off until i can afford the dp plus other necessities.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I know there are plenty of threads on this.. But i just cant make a decision..

I am really just considering getting a catless dp because of the price, 480 compared to 250ish is a big difference.. I am just worried the wife will hate me for it since my car is the car we drive the most..

Is the scent of un burnt fuel really that bad, or are people blowing it out of proportion?

What kind of car do you have, and what are your plans for engine management? Also.. are there any emissions/safety inspection requirements in the county in which your car is registered?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    As for this; No, not even noticable in my experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well thank you "McBill" for helping me make up my mind.. I guess i will just hold off until i can afford the dp plus other necessities.
    No problem, you could always try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work out then you are just out some money, or you could try buying catless DP, new TMIC and a new BPV allowing you to achieve a slightly higher target boost.

Also, keep in mind a catless DP, I think, requires a protune as I believe all of Cobb's OTS maps require a catted DP. I may be wrong on this though.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What kind of car do you have, and what are your plans for engine management? Also.. are there any emissions/safety inspection requirements in the county in which your car is registered?
    i have a 2013 subaru wrx, i am in the air force so obviously my location is going to change but i plan on keeping it licensed here in oklahoma so i can keep tint plus no inspections. ,

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    No problem, you could always try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work out then you are just out some money, or you could try buying catless DP, new TMIC and a new BPV allowing you to achieve a slightly higher target boost.

Also, keep in mind a catless DP, I think, requires a protune as I believe all of Cobb's OTS maps require a catted DP. I may be wrong on this though.
    I am currently stage one through torqued performance plan on using him for stage 2 as well.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    In that case I would just go ahead and get one with a high flow cat.. it will make your life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    In that case I would just go ahead and get one with a high flow cat.. it will make your life easier.
    Thats what i as thinking as well.. In your opinion is it really worth throwing out 485 dollars for an invidia catted dp, or is there other cheaper catted dp's that are reliable brands?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats what i as thinking as well.. In your opinion is it really worth throwing out 485 dollars for an invidia catted dp, or is there other cheaper catted dp's that are reliable brands?
    All catted DP's will be in that price range honestly, you shouldn't be able to find one that is too much cheaper and is still a good quality DP. It's because the Cat is the most expensive piece with all those valuable catalytic metals in there unfortunately.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    All catted DP's will be in that price range honestly, you shouldn't be able to find one that is too much cheaper and is still a good quality DP. It's because the Cat is the most expensive piece with all those valuable catalytic metals in there unfortunately.
    *Sigh*.... Well thanks for the inputs, looks like i will hold off until the wife allows me to get a catted dp. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.