Second Opinion...

This is a discussion on Second Opinion... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Installed the Accessport V3 and flashed the Stage 1 93, big difference! ****s smoother, turbo seems to kick sooner, car ...

Second Opinion...

Installed the Accessport V3 and flashed the Stage 1 93, big difference! ****s smoother, turbo seems to kick sooner, car even idols better.
    Decided if if I go stage 2 I'm going to have a shop install the parts and do a dyno tune. Found a shop near by and they have a AWD dyno, bonus!
    My plan was to have them install the Invidia catted DP (match the Invidia CatBack), AEM CAI and swaybars/endlinks and create a custom tune for the car.

The shop said....
    The Invidia catted downpipe is really the only part we don't sell. We sell Invidia products but the catted downpipe has the cat too close to the turbo and it will melt & fail over time. The cat should be further downstream to last indefinitely. In order for the downpipe & catback to mate up together the downpipe needs to have a 3" exit for the Q300 connection. We can always sell you a catless downpipe and install a HFC downstream in the downpipe to rectify the issue. This will require you to visit our facility for install/fabrication unless you have access to someone that can weld the cat in place.
    You will also need a BPV which is not a part listed in the Cobb Staged Maps. The factory valve is terrible and should be replaced. Once it starts leaking is will cause inconsistent boost curves reducing substantial amounts of power. An upgraded unit is only 190 and once installed we will check to make sure boost target is being achieved.

They seem very knowledgeable and friendly to talk with... that said, what do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you are set on them tuning your car, go with whatever they say and are comfortable with. You kind of have to in order to get a good tune.
    If you want a catted DP with a cat closer to the catback, then Cobb sells the DP you're looking for.
    Invidia is a great company, I do not agree with what they say, and I would not fab up a catless DP to fit a HFC.
    But again, if they don't want it, don't use it or find another tuner.
    An upgraded BPV is wise, they are known to blown above 19 psi, And some at stock levels, but I'm running mine at 19 psi, which I hit daily, and mine is fine.

Are you stopping at these mods? Or are you continuing?
    Think about DEI heat wrap, turbo blanket/ heat shield.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply!
    The shop I found is in Ohio and seems to be the closest professional shop I could find, I'm located in lower Michigan.
    They actually suggested a catless downpipe but from what I have researched the catted seemed better for my needs so thats why he
    offered modifying the DP with a cat. I was thinking that if I stuck with Invidia DP it would be the best match to the Invidia catback I already have,
    but maybe I'll ask them about the Cobb DB. Thanks!
    Yes, this should be all the engine mods for this car. Also thinking about from and rear sway bars / end links.
    They said they recommend Whiteline but also sell Cobb and Perrin.

Yes! The invidia downpipe would be best fit, but the cat is close to the turbo so you can't wrap it either.
    I went catless because it's cheap and it produces a hair more power and quicker spool. I'm at sea level and its warm, so I don't really have to worry about boost creep, but that is really different from car to car. I don't have boost creep and no overboost, my car loves it.
    If you don't use some heat isolators, you can kiss that extra power goodbye when you're tmic is heat soaked.
    Whiteline is great and a favorite around the forum. Be sure to contact a forum vendor for best prices on all your mods, WTF tuning is the best: )
    I say either get a catted DP or get a catless DP if your shop is comfortable with the possible issues it can bring to tuning, don't add a HFC.
    Be prepared for an intense raw fuel smell whenever you're at a light with a catless DP

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk