Swapping parts from 2012 into 2002 WRX? Possible?

This is a discussion on Swapping parts from 2012 into 2002 WRX? Possible? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I searched and searched and couldn't find anything on this. So I'm starting a thread. So I have a ...

Swapping parts from 2012 into 2002 WRX? Possible?

So I searched and searched and couldn't find anything on this. So I'm starting a thread.
    So I have a 2002 WRX.
    I have a company that I work with that has a smashed up 2012 WRX with the powertrain in good shape.

Do you guys know if that 4th gen setup is a direct swap into the 2ng gen?
    Basically, I have these questions. Will the:
    Engine and tranny swap over?
    Suspension bits swap over?

Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Considering it's a completely different chassis I would say, no. Struts/springs won't fit, sway bars won't fit. It's also very likely your wiring harness won't match up to the new motor either. A lot has changed since '02.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Transmission: Likely yes.

Engine: Sure, but you'll have to deal with the ECU and harness swap. Alternatively, you could plug the AVCS on the heads and run the longblock while swapping over the intake manifold.

The bigger question: why go through all the trouble?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The car now is misfiring on cylinder 3 and has 160K on it. I would be getting such a fantastic deal on the new set up I'd be dumb not to find a way to make it work.
    I did start researching the Hybrid option. I'm not looking for a racer, just a nice quick daily driver. So maybe I could just swap the blocks, trans and turbo and keep everything else from the 02'?

You could swap the engine/turbo/transmission/wiring/ECU.. you would need to splice the harness and find a way to make it work with the rest of the car, but I'm sure it can be done.. just take a lot of electrical work.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You could swap the engine/turbo/transmission/wiring/ECU.. you would need to splice the harness and find a way to make it work with the rest of the car, but I'm sure it can be done.. just take a lot of electrical work.
    Thanks. I'll start researching it, I would think there has to be a company that sells already spiced harnesses.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilby View Post
    Thanks. I'll start researching it, I would think there has to be a company that sells already spiced harnesses.
    Already spliced? I seriously doubt that. There isn't enough of a market for harness shops to spend money and $$$ researching it. You may find a company to do it for you, but it will be a 100% custom job, and will definitely be $$$.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Already spliced? I seriously doubt that. There isn't enough of a market for harness shops to spend money and $$$ researching it. You may find a company to do it for you, but it will be a 100% custom job, and will definitely be $$$.
    I'll have to look into it further. I swear I came across company that does that for $250 (or something like that).

I've seen places that will do bugeye to GC harness merges in the past, but they were all over $1000.