Disconnected my battery on my 2006 sti, now its doing something it normally doesnt

This is a discussion on Disconnected my battery on my 2006 sti, now its doing something it normally doesnt within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I tried to install my hella horns that i bought at boxerfest yesterday and got incredibly overwhelmed and ...

Disconnected my battery on my 2006 sti, now its doing something it normally doesnt

So today I tried to install my hella horns that i bought at boxerfest yesterday and got incredibly overwhelmed and gave up. Now while trying to install the horns I was told it would be smart to disconnect both leads on the battery (which I did). So after I got everything hooked back up I went to start it up to pull it back into the garage and when I normally start it up cold, it goes up to 1500 rpm then starts to climb to 2000 rpm and then a slight throttle push drops the rev to about 500 and then it goes right back up to 1500 and stays there. This time it started up went to 1500 rpm and stayed there, didnt climb our do anything else. Now when I went to gingerly tap the throttle it dropped to about 400 give or take (that didnt really bother me as much as it should have) and climbed to 1500 again. Now this is the part that is scaring me. When I let warm up for about 8 min and it was at a decent rpm of about 800-900 rpm I gave it a quick rev to 2000 because well.... i wanted to hear the rumble, and it dropped to i kid you not, 100 rpm (maybe even lower) almost stalled and did its normal rpm climb speed. It did this 3 times before i got scared and quickly pulled it into the garage and shut it off. Now I did check my maps on the cobb accessport and it says it still has the stage 2 93 v300 map on it so I dont know if its saying that because it is saved on the accessport both reflash and the other one (forgot the name)or it genuinely is still on the car. Im scared to drive it becauase im afraid It will stall and I really dont want to touch anything on the accessport unless I really have to. Im bringing it to my tuner on tuesday for a brake squeal and a swaybar install on tuesday and I just want to know if this is normal after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery or I should genuinely be worried.
    TL DR: I disconnected and reconnected my battery while attempting to install hella horns and the car almost stalls (drops to 100) when i rev it and it idles lower than normal when i start it. Accessport says maps are still installed but im not sure if i should believe it or not.
    Any help would be appreciated guys! Im really scared that I might have messed something up

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You cannot measure 100 rpm. Make sure the leads are secure and drive the car as normal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

will the car eventually go back to like it was before?

Make sure you tighten the leads on the battery.
    '13 WRX WRB Sedan
    Rain, sleet, snow... drive it.

Usually when you disconnect the battery it takes the ecu a little bit to re-learn the map and stuff. This has been the case with both of the wrx's that I went Stage 2 with.. After flashing the new map is ran very similar to what yours is doing for about an hour or so, then it smoothed out.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Disconnecting the battery won't just remove a map off the car. So you're fine there.

And as SD said...look closely at the gauge cluster: the bottom line of the tach isn't technically at 100rpm. Idling from a cold start around 1500 is normal. And after disconnecting the battery for some period of time like you did, your ECU just reset the learning parameters (different than the map), so you're likely just feeling that. Go drive the car around so it can begin to relearn fueling and you'll be fine.

Or I'm completely wrong and your car is gonna blow up. Take your pic
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yeah, it's gonna blow up. Had the same problem not too long ago.