BRZ with aftermarket turbo?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on BRZ with aftermarket turbo? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys so today I saw my first BRZ on the road and I say THAT is a nice looking ...

BRZ with aftermarket turbo?

Hey guys so today I saw my first BRZ on the road and I say THAT is a nice looking car! I read about them and fans want a turbocharge BRZ and there supposedly a "rumor" that next year BRZ will be turbocharge? well...I know this is kind of stupid but...anyone ever try buying a turbo and just put it on there? I never have a turbocharge car so I don't know the details of all the equipment to put on a turbo in a car. Any thoughts? and forgive me if I am the wrong place, but I want to know what the experts in here think

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no such thing as "just" putting on a turbo.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There are already some turbo-charges BRZ's out there. I believe crawford built one that was pretty impressive. The FA20 engine in the BRZ, even with its high compression ratio, can actually handle forced induction rather well from what I have read. Granted you wouldnt be able to run high boost without a lower compression rebuild. I would say that 4-8psi would be handled quite well. Actually AVO makes a turbo kit for the BRZ in which target boost is 5-7 psi and they are seeing around 230whp with it. Heres a link:

FR-S/BRZ Turbo Kit Official Release
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have seen ALOT of BRZ/FRS running aftermarket turbo kits. They don't come cheap if you want to do it right, but they do seem to make good power.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    There are already some turbo-charges BRZ's out there

ISWYDT
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    There are also Supercharge kits available. I heard somewhere that due to the wrx turbo placement it would not work on the BRZ due to ground clearance.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    There are also Supercharge kits available. I heard somewhere that due to the wrx turbo placement it would not work on the BRZ due to ground clearance.
    Even beyond the fitment, you'd have to deal with the different heads (not sure it's a direct bolt-on anyway), oil galleys, coolant lines, and ecu interface.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed, sorry I should have clarified I heard about people wanting to do a full engine swap not just a turbo install.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    There are already some turbo-charges BRZ's out there. I believe crawford built one that was pretty impressive. The FA20 engine in the BRZ, even with its high compression ratio, can actually handle forced induction rather well from what I have read. Granted you wouldnt be able to run high boost without a lower compression rebuild. I would say that 4-8psi would be handled quite well. Actually AVO makes a turbo kit for the BRZ in which target boost is 5-7 psi and they are seeing around 230whp with it. Heres a link:

FR-S/BRZ Turbo Kit Official Release
    OH nice! 230 whp? wow that great

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial D View Post
    OH nice! 230 whp? wow that great
    Not for the $4k asking price it isn't.

Pricing:
    MSRP on the kit will be $3800.00 for non ceramic-coated, and $4400.00 for ceramic coated. They will include the base Stage 1 tuning map when purchased directly through us.

The BRZ/FR-S/GT86 supercharger kits available from Innovate, Jackson Racing, or Vortech offer more power for a comparable price, and are vastly less complicated to install and maintain. No need to tap the engine oil feeds, oil pan, coolant lines, etc, as the superchargers are self-lubricating with their own dedicated oil reservoirs. That to me is a huge safety measure, as the factory oil and coolant systems were never designed to support a turbocharger, and tapping into them without upgrading other components in those systems just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The BRZ/FR-S/GT86 supercharger kits available from Innovate, Jackson Racing, or Vortech offer more power for a comparable price, and are vastly less complicated to install and maintain. No need to tap the engine oil feeds, oil pan, coolant lines, etc, as the superchargers are self-lubricating with their own dedicated oil reservoirs. That to me is a huge safety measure, as the factory oil and coolant systems were never designed to support a turbocharger, and tapping into them without upgrading other components in those systems just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Not to mention in a car like the BRZ (relatively lightweight, RWD) I kind of feel like I would prefer a more linear response from the throttle.

LS2 FTW! Slap a supercharger on top of that! Although without some serious suspensionand tire upgrades, I'd say even a NA LS2 would be too much power

Derp

HOLY!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

when you have money and time it's amazing what people will do with cars!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.