BRZ with aftermarket turbo? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on BRZ with aftermarket turbo? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'd never put a turbocharger on my BRZ. The linear, quick response is a perfect match for it's chassis setup, ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd never put a turbocharger on my BRZ. The linear, quick response is a perfect match for it's chassis setup, and it is surprisingly responsive in the lower end of the revband, thanks to direct injection. People with forced induction cars go on and on about how slow it is...but it really does not feel slow when you're driving it. Acceleration-wise, it's pretty comparable to a stock, 2002 WRX, but with a much more even torque curve.

If and when I ever decide to make it faster (no immediate plans), I'd look at the supercharger, so that throttle response might remain good.

But..at the end of the day, if you drive the FR-S/BRZ, and you're spending your time flooring it on the highway, you've missed the point of the car. It's a surgical canyon carver.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'd never put a turbocharger on my BRZ. The linear, quick response is a perfect match for it's chassis setup, and it is surprisingly responsive in the lower end of the revband, thanks to direct injection. People with forced induction cars go on and on about how slow it is...but it really does not feel slow when you're driving it. Acceleration-wise, it's pretty comparable to a stock, 2002 WRX, but with a much more even torque curve.
    I have to disagree with you. I AutoX'd a TRD FR-S (better brakes, a catback, and sticky tires), and it felt much slower than my bugeye (which was Stage 1 at the time). It could absolutely out-maneuver the WRX on the tighter AutoX sections, but I felt like the WRX would eat it alive on the straight sections. After driving the H6 for the last 6 months, I do love the flat torque of a 6-cyl NA. The H6 would be a great fit for those wanting a bit more out of their BRZ, but wanting to stay NA. Smooth, torquey engine, 250hp, lightweight for its displacement, and a 911-esque exhaust howl with the right exhaust setup.

Mmm... that's an appealing thought. Looks like someone in Japan thought so as well:

Looks like the H6 fits quite nicely. It doesn't even appear to extend forward of the front wheels. I know the EZ30/EZ36 is ~50lbs heavier than the EJ-turbo engines (which isn't bad at all, really), not sure about the FA20. The 3.6L has the same block as the 3.0L, but has asymmetrical connecting rods to achieve the extra displacement.
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-01-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Pfff H6 fanboi
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Pfff H6 fanboi
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

If and when I ever decide to make it faster (no immediate plans), I'd look at the supercharger, so that throttle response might remain good.

But..at the end of the day, if you drive the FR-S/BRZ, and you're spending your time flooring it on the highway, you've missed the point of the car. It's a surgical canyon carver.
    Where the heck have you been Ray? Feel like I haven't seen you post in awhile!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I know...work has been killing me..management sucks.

I hear what you're saying, Isaac, but I'm willing to bet that I've spent more seat time behind the wheels of both BRZ's and stock bugeyes.

At any rate, they both trap in the low to mid 90mph range, when tested. I'll give it to you that a stock bugeye is a bit faster, and it's going to "feel" faster, due to forced induction surge. Much slower, empirically? Nah. Power to weight on the cars is actually pretty similar.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't hear what Isaac is saying because Isaac does not exist. Only Rambo.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I know...work has been killing me..management sucks.

I hear what you're saying, Isaac, but I'm willing to bet that I've spent more seat time behind the wheels of both BRZ's and stock bugeyes.

At any rate, they both trap in the low to mid 90mph range, when tested. I'll give it to you that a stock bugeye is a bit faster, and it's going to "feel" faster, due to forced induction surge. Much slower, empirically? Nah. Power to weight on the cars is actually pretty similar.
    Well, note that I said "felt". Plus, the last time you owned a stock bugeye, Lincoln was still in office.

Obviously I was going off of butt-dyno feelings, but I do specifically remember feeling disappointed with the power-delivery in the FR-S, at least within the confines of an AutoX track, and I'd entered with an open mind. I haven't driven one on the street, so maybe my feelings would change if I wasn't in a hammerdown track mindset. I never thought the BRZ needed a turbo, but a few extra hp to add a bit more kick (say 220-230hp, comparable to an S2000, which was also a 2.0L NA engine) would help a lot, in my mind.

As it stands, I like the H6 better than the NA FA and EJ engines.
    Looking forward to trying out the FA WRX soon.

EDIT: Finally found my FR-S review back when I did the AutoX. Seems like my memory serves well about the power, although I WAS driving the automatic. The BIG BRZ Bickering Brief!
    Last edited by Rambo; 05-01-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Eesh, the auto. That may be part of the issue.
    I won't argue with anything you said, there. And I'll be honest, and say that there are the occasional days where I'll think that an additional 50hp would be kinda nice. But then I turn the computer aids off, take that crazy sharp left turn that I know so well, and twist its tail like a madman, grinning like an idiot...and feel like it's just perfect.
    But I'm lucky...I have the turbo waiting in the driveway when I want it. So maybe I'm not being entirely objective about things.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Here's the Crawford turbocharged BRZ if anyone was interested, it was brought up earlier in the thread:

'13 WRX WRB Sedan
    Rain, sleet, snow... drive it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.