Post Intercooler IAT
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Post Intercooler IAT within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've seen this done before in order to monitor BATs (Boost Air Temperature). On my MS3 it was integrated straight ...

Post Intercooler IAT

I've seen this done before in order to monitor BATs (Boost Air Temperature). On my MS3 it was integrated straight into the Cobb AP and was a very useful parameter in terms of tuning.

On a WRX the only viable position I can see a sensor going is the throttle body hose, post-intercooler.

I've been looking at the Mishimoto silicone hose but am not sure if it would be a good idea to tap into it even if covered with silicone after putting the sensor in.

The only other option I can see is getting a small metal piece fabbed up, tapping that for the NPT sensor, and using two small silicone couplers for the throttle body and intercooler.

Any input or ideas for this? Not knowing that temp is driving me nuts and making tuning harder on myself and my tuner.

Gauges I am looking at:

Prosport Digital Gauge

Glowshift Analog Gauge
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Who says BATs? Strange Mazda people.

Anyhow, actual IATs are more useful if you are tuning with speed density. In terms of MAF type tuning, its not really that practical - you use what you get and go from there. It's definitely do-able if you care enough about it, but most people don't, especially on a stock top mount intercooler. Most would add one if they were doing an air/water IC or they'll put one in some FMIC plumbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
    I've seen this done before in order to monitor BATs (Boost Air Temperature). On my MS3 it was integrated straight into the Cobb AP and was a very useful parameter in terms of tuning.

On a WRX the only viable position I can see a sensor going is the throttle body hose, post-intercooler.

I've been looking at the Mishimoto silicone hose but am not sure if it would be a good idea to tap into it even if covered with silicone after putting the sensor in.

The only other option I can see is getting a small metal piece fabbed up, tapping that for the NPT sensor, and using two small silicone couplers for the throttle body and intercooler.

Any input or ideas for this? Not knowing that temp is driving me nuts and making tuning harder on myself and my tuner.

Gauges I am looking at:

Prosport Digital Gauge

Glowshift Analog Gauge
    Have you thought about tapping directly into the intake manifold?
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I wanted to put a pre and post intercooler temp sensor but was waiting till I get a FMIC or aftermarket TMIC so I can have more of a solid base to tap into.

Mach V Digital Intercooler Temperature Gauge - Gauges

but I would rather not spend that much for a temp sensor.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I know EVOs use the same terminology.

I am going to stick with top mounts so either way I will not have much of an option for tapping into hard piping. TBH tapping the stop IM makes me a bit nervous. Not sure if NPT would work wel with the plastic?
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    upgrade to a process west and then get some sensors
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

What about the cold side end tank of the stock intercooler until I upgrade? I'm wondering if thi would compromise the integrity of the end tank at all
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    I know EVOs use the same terminology.
    I was just giving ya a rough time. I've never heard the term and was just being a jerk.

I am going to stick with top mounts so either way I will not have much of an option for tapping into hard piping. TBH tapping the stop IM makes me a bit nervous. Not sure if NPT would work wel with the plastic?
    I'm not overly familiar with the WRX intake routing. I have seen silicone hoses with NPT ports in them, however. Check out Frozen Boost. They specialize in Air/Water IC's (AWICs), and have a bunch of parts that may help you. If you check out miscellaneous installation parts, you'll find the silicone NPT port thing I was talking about.

I guess I would take a step back and give the whole situation some thought. I'm an engineer and like to have data... don't get me wrong. I also tune my own STi and would find that piece of information pretty useful (if not more useful than standard IATs). However, unless you have some specific plans for it such as doing your own tuning or going speed density, I would reconsider the real estate you are using up. I don't know if that piece of info would be that useful to you outside of data logging unless you were putting in a manually actuated IC sprayer or something (questionable even then).

If you are doing your own tuning, consider looking into a product such as innovate's thermocouple receiver. It'll take 4 TC inputs and throw them on their 'data bus' which you can read/log to an SD card with an OpenPort2.0 easily (along with their wideband controller output). I'd love to pick one up and stick a few sensors in a few places, and probably will in the future.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

^^^^^

This is exactly what I was looking for. The only part that worries me is the line that says to put some epoxy on the nut to keep it from falling out.....yeah that would be great right in front of the throttle body lol

My tuner and I (Rich from RichTune) are going to be going at the tuning process very, very slow. He's one of the best tuners out there for the MS3 MS6, and ST platforms. He would just like to expand his base because people are constantly asking him about WRX/STi. Essentially the first process will be logs upon logs on the AP and analyzing them for hours.

The IAT would just be a huge bonus. It would just be nice if there was a secondary sensor in the IM like there is in the Speeds and ST's
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^^^

This is exactly what I was looking for. The only part that worries me is the line that says to put some epoxy on the nut to keep it from falling out.....yeah that would be great right in front of the throttle body lol

My tuner and I (Rich from RichTune) are going to be going at the tuning process very, very slow. He's one of the best tuners out there for the MS3 MS6, and ST platforms. He would just like to expand his base because people are constantly asking him about WRX/STi. Essentially the first process will be logs upon logs on the AP and analyzing them for hours.

The IAT would just be a huge bonus. It would just be nice if there was a secondary sensor in the IM like there is in the Speeds and ST's
    Considering the poorly documented compressor/turbine maps of the stock turbo's on Subaru's, it could be very powerful for a large scale tuner. I'd love to have a pre-post turbo, pre/post IC temp (both air streams), and pre/post turbo pressure readings. You could basically find your actual turbo efficiency in live time.
    2011 STi Build Log

Skip Glow**** gauges...terrible quality. Prosport isn't very good either, but better than Glowshift.

Look for something better like Innovate, Defi, AEM...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I had the Prosport IAT gauge, but ultimately never installed it due to the huge 3/8" hole requirement. Get a 3/8" NPT pipe fitting and test around your intercooler to see if there's a good spot for it, but I couldn't find one. I eventually sold the gauge to a guy for his diesel truck build (it wasn't Brandon, FYI). Presumably he had a big cast iron block to bore into, whereas a WRX just has thin aluminum or plastic.

Here is a much nicer IAT gauge, although not in the typical 52mm form factor: Mach V Digital Intercooler Temperature Gauge - Gauges
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    TBH, the IAT sensor relocation is better for improved timing and fueling compensation. As far as tuning the car is concerned, your tuner should be able to do all he needs by simply reading a compressor map and understanding the CFM capabilities of the intercooler. Granted, IHI does not publish compressor maps, but there is a lot of empirical evidence to determine the behavior of the IHI turbos under boost.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.