Why no/few mention of modding the oil system?

This is a discussion on Why no/few mention of modding the oil system? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my 1985 Volvo 245Ti IronBrickBeast I had all sorts of extra oil accessories. Thermostatic large oil cooler. Full flow ...

I Support ClubWRX

Why no/few mention of modding the oil system?

On my 1985 Volvo 245Ti IronBrickBeast I had all sorts of extra oil accessories. Thermostatic large oil cooler. Full flow dual remote oil filters. Remote by-pass oil filter. I think all said and done that thing took 8 quarts of oil. Which in my book is a good thing to have on any turbo engine.

I want to add oil capacity and oil cooling to my 2014 WRX. Brainstorming phase. Ideas?

Has anyone hooked up a remote adapter???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have a Killer B setup on my car.. extra large aluminum oil pan, ultimate oil pickup, and windage tray. I have considered sticking an accusump in there somewhere and an aftermarket oil cooler, but I will have to make sure the oil stays at operating temp, so I'll probably have to play around with it after I get it going.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool ideas!

I Support ClubWRX
    On a street vehicle, oil cooling is a waste of money. The oil doesn't get hot enough to warrant it. If it does, you're driving like a ****tard.

The only oil modification worth doing are either the type/viscosity of oil you're using or replacing the pickup tube. While you're there, you can get a new windage tray, but I wouldn't pull the pan for that alone.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Air Oil Separator or catch can its not really an oil cooling mod but just another thing that couldn't hurt
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I would agree that oil cooling isn't all that necessary and that's not my point. Adding oil capacity increases oil life and reduces turbo oil line crud and can reduce wear.

Yeah, extra capacity is almost always a good thing.. but the larger pan isn't exactly cheap, and you could just change your oil more often and get similar effect.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, the factory pick up (such as the Killer B - Like MaineFrame has) can be a worthwhile mod, as the stock (brazed) assembly can crack over time. I am not positive how common this is, but the welded pickup will certainly be a better lasting product than the brazed unit. Just a thought. Money would probably be better spent elsewhere on a brand new car, but I have been considering doing this at some point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Adding oil capacity increases oil life and reduces turbo oil line crud and can reduce wear.
    Our turbos are oil and water cooled. As EJ257 said,our cars on the street don't really see hot oil temps. As long as you are using a quality synthetic/oil filter and keeping up with the oil change interval there should be no issue with coking or sludge build up.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    On a street vehicle, oil cooling is a waste of money. The oil doesn't get hot enough to warrant it. If it does, you're driving like a ****tard.
    But what about us? The people who do drive like ****tards? Would it help any running the oil filter housing off the Tribeca with the coolant passage? I have one lying around and was thinking about shoving it on my motor before it goes back in the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTION
    But what about us? The people who do drive like ****tards? Would it help any running the oil filter housing off the Tribeca with the coolant passage? I have one lying around and was thinking about shoving it on my motor before it goes back in the car.
    What oil temps are you seeing that you believe you need to cool them?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah, extra capacity is almost always a good thing.. but the larger pan isn't exactly cheap, and you could just change your oil more often and get similar effect.
    Those pans apparently are solid platinum! I would like a couple more quarts of capacity and a good pick up. Yeah, I'm throwing those on the bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Those pans apparently are solid platinum! I would like a couple more quarts of capacity and a good pick up. Yeah, I'm throwing those on the bucket list.

Yep, Killer B is proud of their products, that's for sure. Thing is, they're engineered well and the manufacturing quality is excellent.. which is more than can be said for their competition. So if you want high quality stuff (pickup, pan, and baffle), there's not really anywhere else to look. Pay the price, or don't bother messing with it. I've put so much time and money into my engine over the years that the price of the Killer B stuff is justified.. for an otherwise stock car, that's driven on the street.. not so much.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Moroso and the Cosworth are no good?

I haven't looked into the Cosworth.. I know the Moroso had some serious issues, but then they made a revision, and I don't know anyone that has used the new one.. since they all switched to Killer B stuff.