Intake System Improvements.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Intake System Improvements. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Out of curiosity what type of performance improvement do you see when jumping to an Intake system such as this ...

Cee

Intake System Improvements.

Out of curiosity what type of performance improvement do you see when jumping to an Intake system such as this one: COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake Kit I've never really mod cars before so I don't know what kind of bang you get for your bucket using different upgrades.

Also, When I see "Stage 1" or "Stage 2", who defines what a stage is and what it includes? Is it different per parts manufacturer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cee
    Follow-up. If there are all these "improved" parts out there for exhaust and intake, why did Subaru not design there parts like this from the start. Does it... risk engine longevity? sacrifice too much MPG? inflate the vehicle cost?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on the year model.. and you need to tune specifically for the intake. That said, on 08+ year models there are some gains to be had with an intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    Follow-up. If there are all these "improved" parts out there for exhaust and intake, why did Subaru not design there parts like this from the start. Does it... risk engine longevity? sacrifice too much MPG? inflate the vehicle cost?

I wouldn't consider them "improved". Improved could mean a lot of things.. what's best for making power isn't necessarily best for other things. Most aftermarket intakes for example, won't filter the air as well as the stock intake. CAIs can cause engine failure if you drive through deep water, etc.

Building a car for production is an exercise in compromise. They have to deal with different environments, emissions regulations, production costs, etc.

You have to assume Modifying a car is just that. It is a way to express your personality. Thats why there are different avenues to take to modify your car. Engine, Appearance, Audio, etc. ITs up to you how you want your car to represent you. Also Subaru has a budget on what they will put into a car. It is up to their specifications on where they want there cars to be (in terms of price) to the public which is why there are three different values for the impreza. You have an option on what type of car you want and/or afford and from there you can do with it what you will. Plus using Aftermarket parts as subaru's personal inventory would ultimately change the cost of the car by tens of thousands as well as limit you choice on what you want you car to be. For example lets say magna flow exhaust is the standard equipment that comes with the WRX and you don't like the sound of it. Now you have a $900-1100 exhaust you don't like sitting collecting dust and on top of it you have to pay more money for new exhaust from a different company for a different sound. There are no Best parts... there are only best for you. Although there is a difference in quality.. SO all in all its a slippery slope....

I have a tendency to ramble... SORRY

Cee
    No you make good points all around. Since I've never modded a car before I don't have any preferences or personality when it comes to engine parts. I think over the next few years I'm going to learn and figure those things out. I assumed the mods were just how much performance for the buck you can get but It seems that there's more to it than that. Currently I'm just looking into mods for the sake of pushing the power up for when things start to get stale.
    Last edited by Cee; 04-24-2014 at 08:01 AM.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Building a car for production is an exercise in compromise.
    This is true for all engineering projects. Quoted for posterity.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

BE patient CEE.... You'll have the exact car you want in due time

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    I just installed the SF intake a week ago and it has changed my experience behind the wheel. Here are the benefits that I experienced:

1. Sound. The sound of the intake is just awesome. It makes you remember your driving a turbo charged car. You can hear the turbo spool, the air sucking through the intake, and the 'whoooosh' sound of the bypass valve.

2. Tune. The Cobb SF tune was much better than the stage 1 tune on my cobb accessport. The car just feels smooth. It doesn't bog when I shift and most of the flat spots in the power band have been eliminated.

3. Speed. I notice a little more pull in the car. The car doesn't seem like it runs out of breath anymore.

4. Aesthetics. The intake with the intake box is the cleanest looking intake I've ever put on a car. It looks good.

5. Gas Mileage. I've improved my MPG by about 1 mile per gallon.

Keep in mind you will need a way to tune the cobb sf or AEM intake. For you, I suggest going the route I did, and go with Cobb. I can **** up a wet dream, but even I can use the cobb accessport tuner with ease. It's WELL worth the $600. Everything is plug and play. It took me only a couple minutes to switch the tune over on my car. You can even buy the cobb accessport before the intake and do a "stage 1" tune, which will improve your power and smooth out your power band with no bolt ons.

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    I just installed the SF intake a week ago and it has changed my experience behind the wheel. Here are the benefits that I experienced:

Keep in mind you will need a way to tune the cobb sf or AEM intake. For you, I suggest going the route I did, and go with Cobb. I can **** up a wet dream, but even I can use the cobb accessport tuner with ease. It's WELL worth the $600. Everything is plug and play. It took me only a couple minutes to switch the tune over on my car. You can even buy the cobb accessport before the intake and do a "stage 1" tune, which will improve your power and smooth out your power band with no bolt ons.
    Now will this affect the factory warranty?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    Also, When I see "Stage 1" or "Stage 2", who defines what a stage is and what it includes? Is it different per parts manufacturer?

Taken from What is a Stage 2 or Stage whatever package? - NASIOC

Staged performance packages are SALES packages for specific companies. Company A's Stage 2 is Company B's Stage 3, so there is no such thing as a universal truth when it comes to Stages. Stages were designed as a sales package so someone does one stop shopping and they get a discount. Kind of like a #4 at McDonalds...everything for lunch + you save 30 cents.

GENERALLY SPEAKING, here is what the various stages are:

Stage 0 = engine management alone
    Stage 1 = engine management alone
    Stage 2 = turboback exhaust + engine management
    Stage 2+ = stage 2 + a few other bolt ons
    Stage 4 = small bolt on turbo + fueling + turboback exhaust + engine management
    Stage 5 = anything above stage 4
    Last edited by cflip2x; 04-23-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Depends largely upon the problem you have at the time of the warranty claim, your mods, and how Subaru feels about it.

As a rule of thumb, *any mods you perform to the car put you at risk of your claim being denied. Subaru is only responsible to cover what they produced.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Depends largely upon the problem you have at the time of the warranty claim, your mods, and how Subaru feels about it.

As a rule of thumb, *any mods you perform to the car put you at risk of your claim being denied. Subaru is only responsible to cover what they produced.
    Good to know. Thanks Wreckingball man.... You have plenty of useful information. I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Taken from What is a Stage 2 or Stage whatever package? - NASIOC

Staged performance packages are SALES packages for specific companies. Company A's Stage 2 is Company B's Stage 3, so there is no such thing as a universal truth when it comes to Stages. Stages were designed as a sales package so someone does one stop shopping and they get a discount. Kind of like a #4 at McDonalds...everything for lunch + you save 30 cents.

GENERALLY SPEAKING, here is what the various stages are:

Stage 0 = engine management alone
    Stage 1 = engine management alone
    Stage 2 = turboback exhaust + engine management
    Stage 2+ = stage 2 + a few other bolt ons
    Stage 4 = small bolt on turbo + fueling + turboback exhaust + engine management
    Stage 5 = anything above stage 4
    Don't get jealous Cflip... You also have very good information as well. You are also appreciated

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.