Why does this happen???

This is a discussion on Why does this happen??? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I finally got my agency power hybrid valve, i was ready to put it on and of course things go ...

Why does this happen???

I finally got my agency power hybrid valve, i was ready to put it on and of course things go south. I went to take one of the flange bolts off the stock diverter valve and when i noticed that there was no resistance when trying to ratchet it off its then i realized the bolt was snapped in two. So half the bolt with the head is out and the threaded half is still in the intercooler flange. A couple things that i also realized is that this means i have been driving around with only one bolt holding down my diverter valve, the new aftermarket valve doesnt even line up perfectly without both bolts being in place, and finally i don't know how to tap and drill out the rest of the bolt. I put the stock diverter valve back in place and that still lines up perfectly, so i just attached the hoses again, re-tightened the one bolt that was holding it in place and left it be. I turned on my car to see if its functional and yea it works but now i don't know by removing the stock valve from its original place, would this cause a potential leak area if i drive around. the valve seems tightly fitted and it doesn't move even with the one bolt holding it in place. But, i don't wanna risk any further damage. What is the best way to approach this situation. I already have my friend who is a subaru mechanic coming over later to try tap and drill out the rest of the bolt.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you friend is going to drill out the broken bolt then the obvious answer is to just put the stock BPV back on and return the aftermarket one.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Not sure if I read this right, but u said the aftermarket bpv does not line up? I had the thing happen to me to. I ordered a turbosmart bpv and it didn't line up at all. I took pictures and called them about the issue. It was obviously a defect and they sent me out a new one that correctly fit. Hope that helps.

Welll everything is all good now, both bolt holes were stripped inside the intercooler flange. My friend drill and tapped them, re-threaded the holes and we put the agency power valve on. Its a good fit now lines up on point with the stock one. I have it set to 50/50. No rpm dip no backfiring. Air to fuel ratios are actually better now ( probably cause the old valve was leaking). Car feels more responsive now. And i do build boost noticably faster. Overall good mod ( for me ) just had a bad initial scenario.
    2011 WRB WRX: DW 850 cc injectors. ProcessWest tmic. Custom SRI. GT spec header. Tsudo Turboback. Tial mv-s ewg. GFB TMS valve. Grimmspeed ebcs, crank pulley, and up-pipe. Cobb AP w/ custom tune. ACT HD clutch w/ lightweight flywheel. StopTech Club Kit ( front). Whiteline 3-pt adj. sway bars f/r. perrin front endlinks. Drag DR31 wheels 18x9 +15 offset. Nitto NeoGENS UHP all-seasons. Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar.