Boosting a stock WRX?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boosting a stock WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I tried to find a thread dealing with some of my questions but didn't see anything.... So here we ...

Boosting a stock WRX?

So I tried to find a thread dealing with some of my questions but didn't see anything.... So here we go.

Now after reading up on some of Specs on the factory parts in regards to boost PSI on the OEM parts can handle. For example: the OEM Wastegate can handle around 20PSI.. What would happen if i tuned the car while increasing the factory setting 14.? Psi to 20PSI? Would there be significant performance noticed? I would assume so. But Can all the other components handle the added pressure? I just figured this is an interesting thought..

Ultimately my goal is purchase a bunch of parts : CAI, AOS, Full exhaust, Larger TMIC, BOV, MCIS Suspensions, Braking system upgrade, Short Throw, etc. And then bring all my parts (specifically motor parts) have them installed at one time and tuned at one time.

Would this be the most beneficially or cost efficient? Is there a better suggestion?

Obviously MY car has 3K on it so this is just planning for the future when my warranty is done.

I know this is a bunch of question but i do appreciate the time anyone takes to look into this...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    my 12's max boost has been set to 19pis and so far the only "problem" is the Throttle body hose tends to get loose every few months or so and I just have to readjust it. Who would be tuning your car or will you be using an accessport? The rest of the mapping has also been adjusted not just the max psi. Get an accessport and downpipe flash the ecu. AOS can wait not necessary just yet.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Well i'm in Texas and i heard about a place called EngineLogic... So i'm probably just going to go there to have them do any of the work i need done in terms of Motor specific..

Good to know that you're running 19PSi without any serious issues

I Support ClubWRX
    Talk to them first see what they will require they can give you better answers
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Alright.... SOunds like a plan. Once i start ordering my parts i'll find out

I Support ClubWRX
    Talk to them before you order parts they can probably suggest an upgrade path.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Ya im running 19 PSI on my TP stage 2 tune. Only problem I had was blowing a bolt off the BPV under full boost one time. Got it torqued down nice and tight now though!
    Not sure if you can just turn up the boost on a stock car like that though..
    According to my map notes, a DP, EBCS, and a larger TMIC is what is required to run 20 PSI. Bare bones ofc.
    At that point, might as well replace the BPV, cause it'll blow at some point.

63k on my 2011, and she loves it

I also run 19 psi on my 14 WRX with a TP stage 2 tune. No problems so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZXNasty View Post
    I also run 19 psi on my 14 WRX with a TP stage 2 tune. No problems so far.

What type of gains did you accrue from using more boost?

Did you have a dyno done or do you have an estimate of new HP production?

No idea. Never been on a dyno so no way to tell HP. Fast enough to be plenty to enjoy and mileage went up too

Didn't ask me, but here you go, this is mine.
    That's on a dyno jet virtual dyno.

Here is a comparison between 3 stages, including stock on a caution correction factor.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Well that is quite the difference. Thank you for your input 386WRX Much appreciated.
    Thanks guys. I will have to see when I can get to the tune shop and what it'll cost me.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is more to making power in a Subaru than upping the boost...ignition advance, camshaft advance, and fuel are other factors

Quote Originally Posted by WTF Tuning View Post
    There is more to making power in a Subaru than upping the boost...ignition advance, camshaft advance, and fuel are other factors
    Very True... I was just curious on what would happen if you pushed the limit of OEM. I want/will upgrade when i start to get bored with the performance and warranty of the car.

I'm going to start with outside appearance (wheels, tires, suspension, etc.) And then Audio.. Radio Stinks!!

I actually had a similar question to this that I was searching for around the forum. Basically, I was wondering what type of boost the stock turbo can handle without issues. I plan on doing upgrades over time as well, and I was just wondering. I assume at each stage tuners or a Cobb OTS map pushes it close to what still works with other parts that have been installed, but I just wondered at what point the turbine can fail and whatnot. is it 22,25 30 psi?
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - Cobb AP V3 w/ Stage 1 93 OTS map, Corsa CBE, STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.