Boosting a stock WRX? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Boosting a stock WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by XxSullyxX I actually had a similar question to this that I was searching for around the forum. ...

Quote Originally Posted by XxSullyxX View Post
    I actually had a similar question to this that I was searching for around the forum. Basically, I was wondering what type of boost the stock turbo can handle without issues. I plan on doing upgrades over time as well, and I was just wondering. I assume at each stage tuners or a Cobb OTS map pushes it close to what still works with other parts that have been installed, but I just wondered at what point the turbine can fail and whatnot. is it 22,25 30 psi?
    From what i understand most people are at 19PSI....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

gentleman, don't get hung up on boost. It's not the power knob a lot of people think it is.

Yes, more boost will make your car faster. But there are a few different ways to get your car faster and not have to push settings close to their limits.

There are a few times I wished my hard-headed self would have listened to Matty @ WTF tuning when he dropped some advice on me. I'm an open-source tuning knuckle head. I've been working on my map for a while, nothing spectacular, I'm doing it to learn but there are many parameters that need adjustment or at least careful monitoring when you push boost close to the limit.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    gentleman, don't get hung up on boost. It's not the power knob a lot of people think it is.

Yes, more boost will make your car faster. But there are a few different ways to get your car faster and not have to push settings close to their limits.

There are a few times I wished my hard-headed self would have listened to Matty @ WTF tuning when he dropped some advice on me. I'm an open-source tuning knuckle head. I've been working on my map for a while, nothing spectacular, I'm doing it to learn but there are many parameters that need adjustment or at least careful monitoring when you push boost close to the limit.
    No doubt I definitely agree. I was just wondering how close some of these OTS maps and/or tuners push the boost to less safe areas. I guess there are multiple factors that end up getting pushed so it's an unfair question.
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount, Corsa CBE
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

From what i hear, there are a few good mechs over at the suby dealer off I10 near barker cypress that know a good deal about modding out the cars. Ill talk to my buddy on Sunday and see what he suggests even though he now drives a V10 BMW instead of a rex

I just had my car tuned last week at BrenTuning and it reached peak boost at 19.2lbs. Since the stock plastic bpv is prone to leaking at those boost levels I upgraded to a forge bpv prior to the tune. The forge functions the same as stock but is built out of billet aluminum instead. My enemy now is the stock top mount but that will hold up fine until I replace it with something better in the future.
    Check out my projects:
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Sworn To Remember

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12