Are these mods any good

This is a discussion on Are these mods any good within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new here but anyway, got a 2002 wrx. It has an AEM cold air intake and i think it's ...

Are these mods any good

I'm new here but anyway, got a 2002 wrx. It has an AEM cold air intake and i think it's a SRS catback exhaust. These were already on the vehicle when i got it. What i want to do now is complete the exhaust with equal lenght headers and down pipe. I want to install a front mount intercooler kit, intake manifold, and throttlebody. I have no idea if tuning is require or if there is anything i should or should not do. Vehicle has about 150k but the cylinder heads have been redone - new valves, springs, and seals. New head gaskets, bolts and complete timing belt kit with rollers and water pump. Any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it still have the stock up pipe? if yes thats the first thing you want to change.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, the OEM up pipe has a catalytic converter in it that can and has had tiny pieces of shrapnel fly out and into the turbo in more than a few instances. Hopefully the previous owner(s) either replaced the OEM or removed the OEM and manually gutted and cleaned the cat from the up pipe.

Unless you have serious high power aspirations, I'd nix the FMIC and equal length headers. You already should have a custom tune done due to the AEM. At 150K you may just want to leave it at a tuned stage 1 for reliability to keep the old rods and crank happy.

Still want more power? Just add a quality down pipe and tune for that. That would take you to what is known as stage 2 - a more appropriate level of power for an older WRX.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    FMIC, intake manifold, and throttlebody. There's really no reason for these, unless they are a part of a motor build. By themselves it dosn't make sense.

I second Sasquatch.

1: maintenance
    2. Catless up-pipe
    3. leak down test, if all is good then you can go ahead with a Catless downpipe + tune

"Stage 2" will put you up at about 285 Hp to the crank. That's really all the power mods I would recommend for a higher mileage motor.

From what i can tell, the only aftermarket pieces for the exhaust is from the mid cat back. I've read stuff about an exhaust temp sensor-do i need it or not and what about this 2 ohm resistor mod for this sensor. I know what it does but don't know how the car will run without it.