Subaru WRX Forum banner

Long block vs short block

22K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  Kevin Pedrosa 
#1 ·
i have always seen/heard these words be throwing around. is a long block longer then a short block cylinder wise for greater power or is it just merely more stuff connected to a short block?

#8 ·
i own 2013 wrx… my first goal is cosmetics(almost done with that) then my 2nd goal is engine modifications and the first order of business in this department is to get the car to around 400hp and i was trying to calculate how much i would spend to get there and which components i would need

#9 ·
You're going to need alot, our transmissions have trouble handeling that amount of power, and you will never see 400whp without a turbo upgrade. So factor in your turbo plus a built transmission or an sti transmission and you are well over 4-5 grand alone. NOT including all of the other supporting mods and a tune. Now 350whp is capable with a good tuner, supporting mods, and on E85 with your stock turbo. But the torque at that point will still make your stock tranny more or less a ticking time bomb.

#11 ·
I'm trying to get to hp mark without touching e85. i was thinking i would spend at least 5k just for major parts (turbo(which i know nothing about yet) injectors forged pistons fmic etc) i want to slowly build into my engine cause i usually spend the money lol and the transmission everyone is just telling me to keep it and build on it. i haven't even calculated that part.

#10 ·
Check out my build thread, the build i am planning on my wrx should end up netting me somewhere around 330whp and 360wtrq. After that, I will not do anymore power mods until I plan on building the engine and tranny, and going with a bigger turbo.

#15 ·
If you want a car just to make the most power that you can, you bought the wrong car. Should have a mustang or something. Or at least an STi. 400+ whp for a wrx is going to cost quite a bit which im sure you are aware of. And im not sure exactly what you mean by building your engine "slowly", unless you mean just buy the parts one by one until you have everything compiled together. Which is the only logical way to really do it. And honestly, at 400whp your issue isnt really your engine, its your transmission. Ill help you out here, this is a list of mods you will need in order to reach your power goal of 400hp. Note that these prices are for brand new parts. So here we go.

-Blouch TD05-16gxt turbo 995.00
-Process west tmic 982.14
-Invidia catless downpipe 305.20
-Invidia N1 catback 582.40
-Invidia equal length race header 875.00
-Grimmspeed uppipe for external WG 321.18
-ID 850cc injectors 480.00
-DW 65c fuel pump 149.00
-Perrin CAI 295.00
-Turbo inlet (depending on brand) 200-250
-TGV deletes from grimmspeed 199.99
-Pro-tune 500.00
-accessport (optional) 650.00

TOTAL - 6,584.91

That is not including building your transmission, labor, or building your engine if you decide to do so. Building your transmission depending what route you take will cost anywhere from 3-5k and double that for the engine. The parts listed are just an idea of the PARTS needed to get the power you are speaking of.

#17 ·
thank you for that… I'm actually going with invidia q300 quad tip turbo back which is a 1000ish
fmic i feel like its a better approach due to the location funny to mention that tmic i found a guy selling it for 150 lol and the pro-tune is around 300ish and turbo per say haven't researched it yet and i did mean piece by piece approach ….. i was looking at around 10k ish for the build without transmission . you think it would be a problem buying these parts used such as injects fmic or tmic i see them all the time for sale really cheap either unused or a few hundred miles on them

#19 ·
i haven't really researched turbos yet but i was expecting at least 2k or more for one….. but isn't there turbos that onlygo to a certain point like for example you get boostish 2500rpm then peak at 4000rpm then its basically dead at 5500 rpm then theres others that goes all the way to redline. some even have more spool then boost. correct me if I'm wrong. its just from what i been researching lately

#24 ·
Like stated before, a wrx may not have been the best car for you if you want that kind of power. Has it been done? Yes many many times. But for the money you are going to be putting into the car to get there, you would have been better getting an sti.

#26 ·
By no means am I trying to lecture you or talk you down. Or discourage you from following your goals for your car. I just feel like you should go about this smarter. With bolt on's, upgraded fuel components and a good tuner you can get your car with a stock engine, turbo, and tranny to the low to mid 300's at the wheels. Your car is still new with the warranty. Take advantage of that. Start with a stage 2 setup similar to what i have. My car is an entirely different car at stage 2, and at the time being I am perfectly happy with that. Take steps to get where you want, just dont jump into it. Wait until your factory warranty expires and the car is paid off or at least close to being paid off before you jump into an engine/tranny build and a bigger turbo. Most built engines are LUCKY to see 80k miles before needing to be rebuilt again. Weigh you options, do research and inch your way there.

#27 ·
hahaha thats exactly what I'm trying to do. My thing is having to get a tune every tune everytime i buy a major a part? right now in process of lowering my car with my new rims(just waiting on them). then i am wanting to buy front mount intercooler intake and debating on turbo back exhaust or merely a cutback then a get a pro tune to start with . but the meantime complete tranny/engine build and bigger turbo isnt ideal but it is a definite plan down the road.

#33 ·
Not if you build off of it. You're going to need a TBE anyway. Your going to need larger injectors anyway. You're going to need a larger intercooler anyway. Think of the "stages" as milestones on your way to 400hp. It's not two different setups, they all build off of each other. Like one of those russian porcelain dolls...or Legos. That's why you need a plan, and that's what everyone is trying to convey to you. They're laying out milestestone aka "stages." You have a goal but not a plan.

Find a reputable shop, tell them your eventual goal, let the tuner know you will be back in the future (multiple times). They'll cut you a deal on your re-tunes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.