Long block vs short block - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Long block vs short block within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oh and i forgot the waste gate. Tial 38mm wastegate w/ all springs add another 263.20....

Oh and i forgot the waste gate. Tial 38mm wastegate w/ all springs add another 263.20.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    If you want a car just to make the most power that you can, you bought the wrong car. Should have a mustang or something. Or at least an STi. 400+ whp for a wrx is going to cost quite a bit which im sure you are aware of. And im not sure exactly what you mean by building your engine "slowly", unless you mean just buy the parts one by one until you have everything compiled together. Which is the only logical way to really do it. And honestly, at 400whp your issue isnt really your engine, its your transmission. Ill help you out here, this is a list of mods you will need in order to reach your power goal of 400hp. Note that these prices are for brand new parts. So here we go.

-Blouch TD05-16gxt turbo 995.00
    -Process west tmic 982.14
    -Invidia catless downpipe 305.20
    -Invidia N1 catback 582.40
    -Invidia equal length race header 875.00
    -Grimmspeed uppipe for external WG 321.18
    -ID 850cc injectors 480.00
    -DW 65c fuel pump 149.00
    -Perrin CAI 295.00
    -Turbo inlet (depending on brand) 200-250
    -TGV deletes from grimmspeed 199.99
    -Pro-tune 500.00
    -accessport (optional) 650.00

TOTAL - 6,584.91

That is not including building your transmission, labor, or building your engine if you decide to do so. Building your transmission depending what route you take will cost anywhere from 3-5k and double that for the engine. The parts listed are just an idea of the PARTS needed to get the power you are speaking of.
    thank you for that… I'm actually going with invidia q300 quad tip turbo back which is a 1000ish
    fmic i feel like its a better approach due to the location funny to mention that tmic i found a guy selling it for 150 lol and the pro-tune is around 300ish and turbo per say haven't researched it yet and i did mean piece by piece approach ….. i was looking at around 10k ish for the build without transmission . you think it would be a problem buying these parts used such as injects fmic or tmic i see them all the time for sale really cheap either unused or a few hundred miles on them

I Support ClubWRX
    A 16G is not going to touch 400 whp. You are looking at a minimum a Dominator 1.5

Subaru WRX/STi Dominator 1.5XT-R Ball Bearing Turbocharger
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    A 16G is not going to touch 400 whp. You are looking at a minimum a Dominator 1.5

Subaru WRX/STi Dominator 1.5XT-R Ball Bearing Turbocharger
    i haven't really researched turbos yet but i was expecting at least 2k or more for one….. but isn't there turbos that onlygo to a certain point like for example you get boostish 2500rpm then peak at 4000rpm then its basically dead at 5500 rpm then theres others that goes all the way to redline. some even have more spool then boost. correct me if I'm wrong. its just from what i been researching lately

I Support ClubWRX
    A motor build will likely $5K or more with parts and labor, and that isn't addressing the heads, just the shortblock.

Parts for the build on a stock car will be close to that same amount.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pedrosa View Post
    i haven't really researched turbos yet but i was expecting at least 2k or more for one….. but isn't there turbos that onlygo to a certain point like for example you get boostish 2500rpm then peak at 4000rpm then its basically dead at 5500 rpm then theres others that goes all the way to redline. some even have more spool then boost. correct me if I'm wrong. its just from what i been researching lately
    Sort of. No offense but I think you are getting a little over your head here. I would get a 3" TBE, 650 injectors, Walbro 255,larGer TMIC and a custom tune. That should satisfy you until you learn a little more.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Sort of. No offense but I think you are getting a little over your head here. I would get a 3" TBE, 650 injectors, Walbro 255,larGer TMIC and a custom tune. That should satisfy you until you learn a little more.
    I 110% concur.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

no offense taken. i don't think i am getting over my head. just cause i haven't fully researched on turbo and i haven't really built my own car yet. usually all cars that my family owned were already over 400 like example m3 or srt8 magnum. I've driven cars well over that. I'm just trying to get a better understanding on everything works. to see which approach to take

Like stated before, a wrx may not have been the best car for you if you want that kind of power. Has it been done? Yes many many times. But for the money you are going to be putting into the car to get there, you would have been better getting an sti.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Like stated before, a wrx may not have been the best car for you if you want that kind of power. Has it been done? Yes many many times. But for the money you are going to be putting into the car to get there, you would have been better getting an sti.
    you are absolutely right. reason why i got wrx instead of sti is because i really needed a car and there were no sti present at the time. and i got my car considerably cheap

By no means am I trying to lecture you or talk you down. Or discourage you from following your goals for your car. I just feel like you should go about this smarter. With bolt on's, upgraded fuel components and a good tuner you can get your car with a stock engine, turbo, and tranny to the low to mid 300's at the wheels. Your car is still new with the warranty. Take advantage of that. Start with a stage 2 setup similar to what i have. My car is an entirely different car at stage 2, and at the time being I am perfectly happy with that. Take steps to get where you want, just dont jump into it. Wait until your factory warranty expires and the car is paid off or at least close to being paid off before you jump into an engine/tranny build and a bigger turbo. Most built engines are LUCKY to see 80k miles before needing to be rebuilt again. Weigh you options, do research and inch your way there.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

By no means am I trying to lecture you or talk you down. Or discourage you from following your goals for your car. I just feel like you should go about this smarter. With bolt on's, upgraded fuel components and a good tuner you can get your car with a stock engine, turbo, and tranny to the low to mid 300's at the wheels. Your car is still new with the warranty. Take advantage of that. Start with a stage 2 setup similar to what i have. My car is an entirely different car at stage 2, and at the time being I am perfectly happy with that. Take steps to get where you want, just dont jump into it. Wait until your factory warranty expires and the car is paid off or at least close to being paid off before you jump into an engine/tranny build and a bigger turbo. Most built engines are LUCKY to see 80k miles before needing to be rebuilt again. Weigh you options, do research and inch your way there.
    hahaha thats exactly what I'm trying to do. My thing is having to get a tune every tune everytime i buy a major a part? right now in process of lowering my car with my new rims(just waiting on them). then i am wanting to buy front mount intercooler intake and debating on turbo back exhaust or merely a cutback then a get a pro tune to start with . but the meantime complete tranny/engine build and bigger turbo isnt ideal but it is a definite plan down the road.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pedrosa View Post
    no offense taken. i don't think i am getting over my head. just cause i haven't fully researched on turbo and i haven't really built my own car yet. usually all cars that my family owned were already over 400 like example m3 or srt8 magnum.
    The fact you think a hp number is a relative figure across the board shows your naivtivity.

Here is some basic info on turbo's and how you size one:Stealth 316 - Turbocharger Compressor Flow Maps
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

The fact you think a hp number is a relative figure across the board shows your naivtivity.

Here is some basic info on turbo's and how you size one:Stealth 316 - Turbocharger Compressor Flow Maps
    reason why i am trying to get a better understanding on how to build a 400hp wrx but build into it and feel the power levels as the car grows. i think i am approaching this quite well in my opinion.

and thank you for the link i was trying to find one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.