Pushing the HP limit while keeping the car reasonbly reliable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pushing the HP limit while keeping the car reasonbly reliable within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, First post so please forgive me for any missteps I make. I recently purchased the following car with ...

Pushing the HP limit while keeping the car reasonbly reliable

Hey Guys,

First post so please forgive me for any missteps I make.

I recently purchased the following car with the mods listed:

2012 WRX Sti (15,000 miles on it)

Supersize Down-mounted ETS Intercooler Kit
    TOMEI Exhaust Headers
    SAMCO Sport Hoses
    Light Weight Crank Pulley
    H&R Adjustable Coil Over Kit
    SPI Exhaust System
    DC Power Engineering Alternator
    Cobb SF Intake System
    Perrin Strut Bar
    Crawford Performance Air Oil Catch Tank
    TurboXS Blow of Valve
    Injector Dynamics (injectors)
    Invidia High Performance Downpipe Exhaust
    Garrett Turbo with Polished Hosing (Part Number: PCM 65223 706451-5005S)
    Cobb 3 Port Boost Control Solenoid
    Stage 3 Clutch Kit (not sure manufacturer on this as of yet)
    Perrin Control Arm Bushings
    KOYO Aluminum Radiator

If you want to see pictures of the engine/car go here Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited | eBay

Note that in the ebay posting it shows what the car looks like before the wreck and after. I have already performed all work to get the car looking just as it did when it's new (including stuff like alignment). I have also attached a picture to this thread of what the car looks like now.

What I'm looking for is everyone's opinion on what parts are good/bad on this build. Additionally I'm looking to see if I can keep some good reliability after getting a built short block for the car. My local tuning shop says if I spend about $6,000-$7,000 on a short block build that I could push my car close to 600HP. I don't imagine at that HP I would get any long term reliability out of the car. So I'm trying to find out if I did spend the money to get a built short block what HP level could I obtain while still keeping some level of reliability from the car. Lastly any suggestions on other upgrades you think may help my build (the more specific the better).

Thanks for any input you have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx_sti.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tuned for 110 octane? Man this thing has been beat to hell and back. Not a bad price though, will be able to part it out for more than you bought it for when it goes boom.
    My vote is 400 awhp. More experienced people will give you more insight.
    I will tell you there are a few people on here with over 400 awhp, not sure if they are dailies, but yeah.
    Welcome! And good luck

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome Good luck with the car just a couple of corrections and additions.
    Its an AOS (Air Oil Separator) no need to empty it should drain back.
    SPT Exhaust,
    Equal Length Headers,
    Catless Downpipe
    Looks to also have whiteline sway bars, chassis bracing, control arm brace.The Uppipie also looks to be Tomi.
    Hella Horns
    Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

Do you know if it has a short throw shifter and bushings?
    Get a heat shield or turbo blanket. Also get a wide band and some extra gauges. If you can set the the Bypass Valve (Blow Off Valve) to recirculation instead of Vent to Atmosphere.
    Do you also know where the car was tuned?
    Last edited by cflip2x; 04-16-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Welcome Good luck with the car just a couple of corrections and additions.
    Its an AOS (Air Oil Separator) no need to empty it should drain back.
    SPT Exhaust,
    Equal Length Headers,
    Catless Downpipe
    Looks to also have whiteline sway bars, chassis bracing, control arm brace.The Uppipie also looks to be Tomi.
    Hella Horns
    Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

Do you know if it has a short throw shifter and bushings?
    Get a heat shield or turbo blanket. Also get a wide band and some extra gauges. If you can set the the Bypass Valve (Blow Off Valve) to recirculation instead of Vent to Atmosphere.
    Do you also know where the car was tuned?
    When driving the car it seems to be a significantly shorter shift then my last car (2001 bmw 330ci). Not sure if that's just a normal Sti thing compared to my car. No idea on the bushings.

Sorry noob question but what is a wide band?

So when you say "Man this thing has been beat to hell and back" is that because of the damage to the vehicle, the high octane requirement on the tune, both or something else you are seeing in the pictures (ie. discoloration on parts)?

I Support ClubWRX
    Wideband measures air fuel ratios
    with the amount of mods on the car its good to have it monitored your down pipe may have an extra hole for a sensor to be plugged into it but if not your shop could weld one on

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by sky_night View Post
    When driving the car it seems to be a significantly shorter shift then my last car (2001 bmw 330ci). Not sure if that's just a normal Sti thing compared to my car. No idea on the bushings.

Sorry noob question but what is a wide band?
    Ignore my question about wideband. Did some research and now know what you are talking about. Do you have any recommendations on what brand of gauges?

cflip2x,

Any recommendations on if it's worthwhile to do that short block built engine?

I ask because the shop right now is telling me that I can push 350HP with 91 octane and ~380HP with 110 octane (just a little shy of 400HP). If I'm only going to get reliability out of the car up to ~400HP not sure the $6,000-$7,000 investment is worthwhile.

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally I would save my money and see how the car runs for now. You have a decent set up but since the car was in an accident I would like to have some extra money on hand for incidentals that may come up.

I am not sure how much you drive a day but 400hp is a lot for a daily driver and not sure you would use it all the time. You may want to read this as well http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1393580

As for gauges a lot of people like the Defi and AEM gauges. I have the SMY cluster and prosport whiteline gauges.

Maybe get the SMY Performance SMY / AEM Boost / AEM Wideband (Uego) - Combo Deals - 2008-2014 STI

Also if you haven't done so introduce yourself to the new members area since more people will see and can also give you some suggestions.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Personally I would save my money and see how the car runs for now. You have a decent set up but since the car was in an accident I would like to have some extra money on hand for incidentals that may come up.

I am not sure how much you drive a day but 400hp is a lot for a daily driver and not sure you would use it all the time. You may want to read this as well Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC

As for gauges a lot of people like the Defi and AEM gauges. I have the SMY cluster and prosport whiteline gauges.

Maybe get the SMY Performance SMY / AEM Boost / AEM Wideband (Uego) - Combo Deals - 2008-2014 STI

Also if you haven't done so introduce yourself to the new members area since more people will see and can also give you some suggestions.
    I actually work from home so don't do a ton of daily driving (or don't have anything that requires me to). I have been going back and forth about keeping my 2001 BMW 330ci as my daily driver and using the Sti only on the track. From what you have said and what I read in the article that sounds like it might be the smartest move for a couple reasons:
    1.) Even in the short time I drove the car (it's been in the shop constantly since I got it, can't wait to get it back from the tuners) I found it kind of rough to just drive around 35MPH roads.
    2.) With the aftermarket turbo it sounds like I may need to worry about blowing up my engine (so in the end getting a short block replacement may eventually be in my future either way).
    Do you think if I only run it with the 91 octane at 350HP that I would still need to worry about blowing up the engine?

Thanks for the information on the gauges I will need to look into that sooner than later. The link you sent me looks to be a fairly good price for the AEM gauges.

Lastly I will make a point to introduce myself to the new members area.

Thanks for your time and all the good information you provided. Hopefully I wasn't too needy right out the gate

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A buitl shortblock will never be as reliable as a stock shortblock.

You MIGHT get 100k miles out of a built block if you're lucky.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can find out what size injectors you are running. Its all good. I drove my friends STI and it didnt like to go slow it almost felt like it was going to stall. I actually think he has a similar turbo though is is external waste gate. If you want to take a look at his setup FS (USA,NJ): 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi WRB 490 whp – 93 pump - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Some how he though this would make a good daily driver with a baby in the back but hes selling it now. 350ish sounds ok for stock internals (just me im sure others with more experience can tell you better). If that is a similar turbo maybe sell it and get a smaller one.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Nevermind...didn't see where it already had a turbo on it. My bad. Move along...nothing to see here
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    A buitl shortblock will never be as reliable as a stock shortblock.

You MIGHT get 100k miles out of a built block if you're lucky.
    I might be able to deal with only getting a little less than 100k out of my motor I'll take the car to the track first and see if there is any good reason to go any further with HP on the car. In all honesty the amount of HP now is quite a bit more than my BMW and it's AWD so I may be happy as it is. I would prefer to not spend more than I need to. I just feel it's a waste to have a better turbo and not take advantage of it. I know someone suggested selling it but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to remove and add back the other one so I think in the end I would lose money in that deal

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if you were to have the turbo swapped it would need a tune so you would probably have your local shop do it. But again drive the car around see how you like it. If your not used to driving a car with a good amount of power it could be dangerous

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast