Downpipe wrap question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Downpipe wrap question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Do I just received my Invidia downpipe. I planned on wrapping only the down part, but looking at it now ...

Downpipe wrap question

Do I just received my Invidia downpipe. I planned on wrapping only the down part, but looking at it now there isn't much to wrap.

I assume I don't need to wrap the cat, and I won't gain much by wrapping under the cat which is right at the bend. Do I need to wrap everything about the cat up to where it meets the turbo?

I got a new heatshield anyways, and this is the lava rock wrap. I'm basically wondering if there is any point in wrapping since the cat is up so far.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    It's definitely worth doing. It will insulate a surprising amount of heat for a cool engine bay and keep that heat energy in the exhaust where you want it. Wrap it from the turbo down to a little ways past the bend. I forget how far is "proper." Overlap the wrap according to the manufacturer's instructions.

I dont know if you "should" or not because of the cat, never seen that question asked. I heard in a discussion a while ago at autocross about cat converter's operating temps. Something like 1500 deg F is the ceiling....? Not sure what would happen to it if you exceed that.

edit:

Stole this from another forum: "To much heat inside a cat can evaporate the platinum film that is deposited on the ceramic substrate rendering it useless. Beyond that I don't think it is a good idea to wrap the cat. It has an optimum operating temperature and if you wrap it you risk exceeding that temperature."

But to be honest, the temps you'll see in the headers will be about 1400 at most, and that's running the car hard. I can't imagine the downpipe to be more than that.

edit again:

\(_o)/
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 04-11-2014 at 03:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would just wrap the top part.. a little is better than nothing. If you wrap down to the bend, chances are the wrap will get torn up quickly and unravel.. at least that's what happened to me. I wouldn't bother to wrap the catalytic converter either, although I don't think anything catastrophic would happen if you did.

Yea I remember reading to not wrap the cat, so I was skeptical about that. Even if I did wrap under it to the bend, it would be a miniscule amount, and like mainframe said prone to getting torn and it could potentially hold moisture and/or salt. Don't want that...

I know they're is a chance that the metal could fatigue sooner when wrapped. If I could wrap the whole down part like a cobb DP, id say it's worth it... but I can't help but wonder with the small amount I can wrap if it's even worth it at that point? Meaning it may save a little heat, but not enough to outweigh the cons of metal fatigue.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's not like the downpipe is really a weight bearing part.. yeah, wrapping will increase fatigue, but I've never seen )or heard of) a downpipe failing before. I'm thinking wrapped it may last three times as longer than the rest of the car.. where unwrapped it may last five times longer than the car. Or something to that effect, you get my point.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.