Tune required with pre cat back exhaust?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tune required with pre cat back exhaust? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Want to know if I need a tune if I go from the 2 bolt flange after the pre cat(thereby ...

Tune required with pre cat back exhaust?

Want to know if I need a tune if I go from the 2 bolt flange after the pre cat(thereby eliminating the 2nd cat).
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure exactly what part of the exhaust you talking about here. You can run a full cat-back, from the stock downpipe back without a tune. If you replace your stock downpipe with an aftermarket one, you WILL need a tune.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I see what you're saying...the stock downpipe is technically a 2 piece downpipe, with two cats in it.

OP: what you'd need in order to do that (which I don't know why you'd do that anyway...) is a fully custom exhaust built by a custom shop. But considering you aren't eliminating the restrictive first cat, you'll still have a hindrance in performance.

There's a reason why zero aftermarket companies manufacture just the second half of the downpipe...because it's pointless. To see gains, you need to replace the whole downpipe. And to do that safely and correctly, you DO need a tune for the aftermarket downpipe.

Just get a downpipe and figure out a tune and go from there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+1 to what Mikie said ^
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Reason I ask is I'm not ready to buy an access port to tune for an aftermarket down pipe and intake.

I work at a muffler shop and can make my own exhaust all day. I am merely asking if I can go from the 2 bolt flange after the pre cat(eliminating the 2nd cat) without a tune. Thanks for the help.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.