Mod suggestions for first Subaru...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mod suggestions for first Subaru... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Purchased a 2013 WRX limited about a month ago and love it! I had myself convinced that I wasn't interested ...

Mod suggestions for first Subaru...

Purchased a 2013 WRX limited about a month ago and love it!
    I had myself convinced that I wasn't interested in doing any mods other then what the
    previous owner did but now I want more performance
    The car has 7000 miles and current mods are the Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust and short shifter.
    I was originally thinking about the Cobb solution... accessport V3, down pipe and intake / air-box... basically making it a Stage 2 if I'm researching this correctly.
    Been bouncing all through this and other forums and now thinking the ATM Cold Air Intake might be a better fit... little quieter.
    I also found a lot of comments about sticking with the same brand down pipe as cat back exhaust you have so now leaning toward the Invivia down pipe.
    Any feedback would be helpful because this is all new to me!
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you mean AEM intake? the cobb has an oiled filter, the AEM has a dry filter. slightly easier to clean and maintain. as long as you get the right gaskets and adapters you can get most downpipes to fit with most catbacks

The invidia DP is a quality pipe with a lot of popularity. It also comes with an option to have 2 bungs so you can wire your gauge right in there without extra work.
    You can go with whatever brand you want.
    I went with Cobb sf intake and tsudo DP.
    I like the loud intake, and it utilizes the stock air scoop.
    I was afraid of AEM and other long CAI because I read you can suck up water going through puddles and hydrolock your motor.
    Tsudo DP is really cheap, but fitment was perfect, and weld are great.
    You'll be happy with stage 2, I love mine! Whole different car.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Just remember once you add those performance parts your powertrain warranty is gone.

I Support ClubWRX
    The only reason people say to get the same DP as a CBE is because when you get the same brand there isn't usually fitment issues. Sometimes when you matte a DP to a different CBE you will have some troubles getting everything to line up correctly, but in the end you can make it work. Honestly what brand you use is entirely up to you. I just makes it easier to go with the same brand in terms of exhaust.

On to the intake, did you mean AEM? Cobb and AEM are both great intakes for this generation. And it is pretty much 6 one way and a half a dozen the other. So long as you get the airbox with the Cobb. But with an Intake and a Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE), that is considered "Stage 2" in the Subie world. Good luck with the parts search! I cant wait to get my stage two setup underway, just waiting on the money.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Yes, AEM not ATM... sorry about that

So getting the Accessport sounds like the first and main thing to get, then map it to stock intake, 93 octane (we have that everywhere) and I should see some impressive performance results, correct? Second part... If I also install the AEM CAI, then remap to add that mod, will I see noticeable results or just better sound? I have read mixed reviews on this. Third part would be to get a DP and then again remap to stage 2, am I on the right track with my thinking?

Okay, if all above is correct where do you see your most bang for the buck? I'm assuming from what I'm reading that the "first" scenario jumps performance a bunch and the next two are smaller jumps?

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by tincus View Post

So getting the Accessport sounds like the first and main thing to get, then map it to stock intake, 93 octane (we have that everywhere) and I should see some impressive performance results, correct? Second part... If I also install the AEM CAI, then remap to add that mod, will I see noticeable results or just better sound? I have read mixed reviews on this. Third part would be to get a DP and then again remap to stage 2, am I on the right track with my thinking?

Okay, if all above is correct where do you see your most bang for the buck? I'm assuming from what I'm reading that the "first" scenario jumps performance a bunch and the next two are smaller jumps?

First: Nice bump in power and smoother delivery.
    Second: Small bump in power, plus WOOOOOSH
    Third: Another nice bump in power, numbers are not quite as high in difference as the jump from stage 1 with Cobb, but still a nice bump, and the delivery is different again.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Most bang for the buck? DP an an accessport with stock intake. Big power gain, you'll be blown away. But what fun is it without the whoosh whoosh!
    I noticed the biggest gain at stage 1 with Cobb sf intake. Torque jumps high with little hp gains, just smoothes out the curve. But my butt dyno read much higher.
    Stage 2 is like 30 hp over stage 1 with little torque increase, you won't feel it on the butt dyno as much, but you'll see the Speedo climb faster.
    An intake at stage 1 is just for sound, you don't really need it.
    Other than that your logic is pretty good, look into heat isolation mods with the new DP too

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX

You about nailed it on the head with a sledge hammer. If I were you though, and I had the means, I would get an intake at the same time as the AP. But that's just me. If you were tight on money and wanted better performance now then your route is just fine. Make sure you read up on the AP and how to use it. As well as how to data log and make sure that everything is working properly and your engine is accepting the tunes. Otherwise it looks like you are on the right track.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Okay, if all above is correct where do you see your most bang for the buck?
    downpipe + tune.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    You about nailed it on the head with a sledge hammer. If I were you though, and I had the means, I would get an intake at the same time as the AP..
    At this point, being new to all this I would say my biggest concern (or maybe just OCD) is to do it right and have no regrets I love driving this car and still want it to be a reliable daily driver. I like the idea of just starting off with the AP and intake, then if there is an issue and I don't for see one but if there is one it would be pretty painless to go stock for warranty work, I think.

I hear a lot of people talk about the possibility of sucking water up with the AEM and hydrolocking your motor. Does anyone know of this really happening, like you have seen this first hand or just heard it is just a possibility if you were to go blasting through 16" of water? I do drive in the rain and snow, I'm in Michigan so it happens but I cant imagine ever deliberately driving into water more then a couple inches deep! Even if you accidentally ended up in a flooded public road and the car hydrolocked my thinking would be insurance might take care of it

I Support ClubWRX
    At this point, being new to all this I would say my biggest concern (or maybe just OCD) is to do it right and have no regrets I love driving this car and still want it to be a reliable daily driver. I like the idea of just starting off with the AP and intake, then if there is an issue and I don't for see one but if there is one it would be pretty painless to go stock for warranty work, I think.

I hear a lot of people talk about the possibility of sucking water up with the AEM and hydrolocking your motor. Does anyone know of this really happening, like you have seen this first hand or just heard it is just a possibility if you were to go blasting through 16" of water? I do drive in the rain and snow, I'm in Michigan so it happens but I cant imagine ever deliberately driving into water more then a couple inches deep! Even if you accidentally ended up in a flooded public road and the car hydrolocked my thinking would be insurance might take care of it
    Wrong, Insurance would likely not take care of a hydrolocked car because the driver would be entirely at fault. The only way you would have a chance to hydrolock, even with an AEM intake, is by driving into standing water that would be too deep to even drive in with a stock setup. basically, if you are going into water deep enough to hydrolock an AEM intake, then you deserve to have a seized block.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Wrong, Insurance would likely not take care of a hydrolocked car because the driver would be entirely at fault. The only way you would have a chance to hydrolock, even with an AEM intake, is by driving into standing water that would be too deep to even drive in with a stock setup. basically, if you are going into water deep enough to hydrolock an AEM intake, then you deserve to have a seized block.
    Agree... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    First: Nice bump in power and smoother delivery.
    Second: Small bump in power, plus WOOOOOSH
    Third: Another nice bump in power, numbers are not quite as high in difference as the jump from stage 1 with Cobb, but still a nice bump, and the delivery is different again.
    Cool... thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Most bang for the buck? DP an an accessport with stock intake. Big power gain, you'll be blown away. But what fun is it without the whoosh whoosh!
    I noticed the biggest gain at stage 1 with Cobb sf intake. Torque jumps high with little hp gains, just smoothes out the curve. But my butt dyno read much higher.
    Stage 2 is like 30 hp over stage 1 with little torque increase, you won't feel it on the butt dyno as much, but you'll see the Speedo climb faster.
    An intake at stage 1 is just for sound, you don't really need it.
    Other than that your logic is pretty good, look into heat isolation mods with the new DP too
    Butt Dyno... too funny! Thanks for the input!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.