Cobb SF intake for 2014 WRX concerns
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb SF intake for 2014 WRX concerns within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I am new to this (first post) and I have a quick question and would love some enthusiast's opinion. ...

Cobb SF intake for 2014 WRX concerns

Hello,

I am new to this (first post) and I have a quick question and would love some enthusiast's opinion. I am now buying new stuff for my 2014 wrx wagon and the first thing I want to buy is a Cobb SF intake. As I am doing my research it seems that Cobb requires a ECU tune for the install. Is this true or can I 'plug and play'? I do not have money for the access port or a tune now.

Any suggestions of experiences?

Thanks,

Nic
    14wrxboy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would hold off until you are able to afford an Access Port with the intake

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods
    Last edited by GRBOXR; 04-03-2014 at 10:46 AM.

If u install the intake the car will not run right it will get too much air I ran into the promblem with mine. It's a 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you need a tune for any aftermarket intake. Save up about $950 for the intake and tune with the box. Do not try to run without a tune. The intake is just for sound at stage 1, if you want that, then go for it. If you are looking for power, then buy a downpipe and an AP an go stage 2.
    I got the intake for sound, now im stage 2 and love it! have fun

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Z31_2011 View Post
    If u install the intake the car will not run right it will get too much air
    No, see this is NOT the problem! It seems that I always have to correct this thinking...

The issue is that many intakes change the scaling of the MAF voltage compensation. The car meters air by sampling a small amount of flow (MAF sensor) and applying a relationship ( let's call this alpha) to achieve the total mass of air. There are multiple reasons alpha may change with an aftermarket intake. Firstly, by changing the diameter of the MAF housing, the total crossectional area increases and alpha increases. Second, no airflow is perfectly laminar and changing the housing location, orientation, etc. often changes the flow characteristics within the MAF housing. This also changes alpha.

So, as you can see the reason the car needs to be retuned is due to the MAFv compensation change and the potential that the increased VE puts the car into untuned load cells.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    You absolutely need to recalibrate the MAF scaling for that intake.

Intake FAQ
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No, see this is NOT the problem! It seems that I always have to correct this thinking...

The issue is that many intakes change the scaling of the MAF voltage compensation. The car meters air by sampling a small amount of flow (MAF sensor) and applying a relationship ( let's call this alpha) to achieve the total mass of air. There are multiple reasons alpha may change with an aftermarket intake. Firstly, by changing the diameter of the MAF housing, the total crossectional area increases and alpha increases. Second, no airflow is perfectly laminar and changing the housing location, orientation, etc. often changes the flow characteristics within the MAF housing. This also changes alpha.

So, as you can see the reason the car needs to be retuned is due to the MAFv compensation change and the potential that the increased VE puts the car into untuned load cells.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.