stock TMIC good enough to handle upgrades?

This is a discussion on stock TMIC good enough to handle upgrades? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got a 2012 WRX daily driver in PA and planning to stick with the stock turbo and all I'm putting ...

stock TMIC good enough to handle upgrades?

Got a 2012 WRX daily driver in PA and planning to stick with the stock turbo and all I'm putting on is a Cobb intake, turbo back exhaust, a boost controller, and Cobb Accessport V3....so my question is, is it really worth putting on a different TMIC if only doing those upgrades or is the stock one good enough to handle them??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was told the stock tmic can hold 20 psi anymore and it will break where the plastic is crimped on the sides. So it depends what your goal for boost is. I personally would change cause it's a weak point but would worry about if you decide not to unless you do an uppipe or header

Can't hurt to add an aftermarket tmic . But your stock tmic would be fine. Alot of people running stage 2 don't upgrade it.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are you doing a hybrid tune, or what is the boost controller for?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    your stock TMIC should be fine. Keep in mind, You'll need a custom tune for a 3 port Boost Control solenoid. As in a Protune or an E-tune. They do not make OTS maps for 3 port boost control solenoids. If it is a 2 port like the stock one then I believe you will be fine without a custom tune.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I've heard about the plastic tank problems from a few people so I bought a Perrin intercooler and I'm getting ready to put on a new downpipe with catback and from what I've been seeing, it's easier to put the downpipe on with the intercooler off and I have like 5 days left until I can return the TMIC from where I bought it. I got it for a good deal and don't really want to get rid of it but if it make much more of a difference compared to the stock one, I figured I could trade it in for some suspension parts...at least $750 worth

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Are you doing a hybrid tune, or what is the boost controller for?
    from the research I've been trying to find out on here and another forum dealing with boost controllers, running a MBC with a EBCS was the way to go these days cause of getting the advantages of using both. I don't plan on getting them for a while so I figured I would just stick with what I got and use the Accessport and then eventually go to a tuner after I get them so nothing gets messed up.

I really think your going to get a 50/50 split on the tmic. If you do keep it replace the throttle body intake pipe the factory one sucks. I say do both tmic and coilovers lol