So a week ago I came home from snowboarding and parked my WRX in front of my house. Six days later I come out and try to start the car. It sounds as if it would start and then all of the sudden, the cranking sound changes to a higher pitched sound. I verified that I had a good charge on the battery. I moved to the starter, but I could see the crank turning so I knew the starter was good. 24 hours later I tried to start the car and had the same problems. I had the car towed to the local Subaru dealership. They took a look at it today and told me the car was flooded and it needed a new battery.
I have a few questions...Has anyone else had this happen? I had good voltage on the battery even when cranking, so how could it have been the battery? If the car was flooded as they said it was, wouldn't I have been able to smell the fuel and wouldn't the car have started the next day for me? I find it hard to believe that the issue was that simple.