Stage 2, protune question

This is a discussion on Stage 2, protune question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys so I have a 2014 WRX that has just over 4000 miles on so far. I love the ...

Stage 2, protune question

Hey guys so I have a 2014 WRX that has just over 4000 miles on so far. I love the car and been having a blast with it. I have the accessport v3 and cobb intake with a invida cat-back so far. The car is my DD and it will never see the track. Its just to have a little fun here and there when I can't ride the bike. So I want to go stage 2 in a couple months. So my questions are, first on the Downpipe I am thinking about going catted. I do have emissions here in Utah and in colorado if I move back in the next year or two. What do you guys think, about catted vs catless? The next question is once I get the downpipe I want to get a protune, I dont plan to do much more to the motor other then maybe a bigger top mount. So should I wait to do the DP tell I can afford the top mount and tune all at once? Is the top mount worth getting? What would be some suggestions of mods to do that I am over looking? My goal is to be 280-300hp at the wheels. Thanks for your help guys and please throw out any ideas. I do do lost of reading on parts and what to do not to do and not trying to wast peoples time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need a cat, and you want a cat.

"The Stage2 maps were developed using a COBB Tuning turbo-back exhaust system with a high-flow catalytic converter. An equivalent turbo-back exhaust system could also be used. If a lesser flowing turbo-back exhaust system is used then boost targets may not be achievable. These maps are NOT designed to be used with an aftermarket race downpipe that does not have a catalytic converter (i.e. catless). Doing so greatly increases the chance for boost spikes and boost creep."

https://cobb.app.box.com/SUBA-US-WRX-09-14

I'd do the exhaust and load the OTS map and log it to make sure it is clean on knock, or maybe get an etune. Save the protune until you do other mods that require it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I wasn't planning on using a OTS map. I was reading on Cobb about their maps and all. I want on for my car. I have read and heard to many cars having problems once going stage 2 with just a Cobb map. But if a lot of people don't have issues with just the OTS map maybe I will wait to do the protune

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    I wasn't planning on using a OTS map. I was reading on Cobb about their maps and all. I want on for my car. I have read and heard to many cars having problems once going stage 2 with just a Cobb map. But if a lot of people don't have issues with just the OTS map maybe I will wait to do the protune
    I'm not sure how successful people are at tuning out boost creep using cattless DP on the new cars. It was very hit or miss on the hawkeyes. If you end up with real mechanical boost creep no amount of tuning is going to fix it. Personally I'd see it as well worth it to have the mechanical setup minimize the issue as much as possible in either case. Personally I can't stand cattless as the car always smells like it is full of fumes even when moving and it is very noticeable outside the car when you are idling etc.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I'm not sure how successful people are at tuning out boost creep using cattless DP on the new cars. It was very hit or miss on the hawkeyes. If you end up with real mechanical boost creep no amount of tuning is going to fix it. Personally I'd see it as well worth it to have the mechanical setup minimize the issue as much as possible in either case. Personally I can't stand cattless as the car always smells like it is full of fumes even when moving and it is very noticeable outside the car when you are idling etc.
    Yeah that doesnt seem worth it at all. I will make sure I keep what i was more leaning towards and get a catted DP. What are some recommended brands. I was thinking sticking with Invidia

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Steers View Post
    Yeah that doesnt seem worth it at all. I will make sure I keep what i was more leaning towards and get a catted DP. What are some recommended brands. I was thinking sticking with Invidia
    Invidia, nameless, Cobb, turboxs, perrin are popular...just to name a few.

I swear upon the Invidia catted downpipe since the quality is top notch and it fit perfectly. As for the rest of my stage 2 parts, check out my build journal the link is in my sig.
    Check out my projects:
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Sworn To Remember

Ok cool thanks guys, and what do you think about doing a protune? Should I do it right away or wait a bit tell I have my car where I want it then do a protune?

You will need to tune your car right away after any engine modification! These cars are really picky when you start bolting on performance parts. My car has been in storage for winter I had been plucking away at my stage 2 mods. I am now 100% ready to tune but I'm just waiting for better weather before limping it to BrenTuning in Worcester. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty weary of driving my car 3hrs untuned but my tuner said I'd be ok limping it down to him with the stock intake on for the trip so I don't lean out my engine lol.
    Check out my projects:
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Sworn To Remember

Well I have the accessport so I can do an OTS tune. But I hear horror stories of people using those maps to go stage 2 that's why I want a protune.

Way cool man I bet that's way exciting to be getting the car out and the big upgrade.

If you live in colordo you will not wanna get a hiflow cat it will not pass emission at all. Not really sure where you live utah or colorado? I do know in colorado a hiflow cat will not let you pass emissions. Bigger TMIC would help a bit but not necessary if you are just staying on stock turbo. Invidia makes a good DP I would highly recommend the protune vs AP tune. Lastly my thought on hiflow cat vs catless is go catless you just slap the stock dp back on when its time for emissions, I know some states will pass with a hiflow cat but colorado is not one of them.

A side question....

When going stage 2, do you need bigger injectors and fuel pump?

How high do the IDCs go with the stock injectors and pump?

Thanks
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

My tuner told me I will be fine on the stock injectors and fuel pump. I did replace the stock bypass valve with a Forge valve since the stock one can leak under higher boost levels.

I don't recommend going catless on the stock turbo. By going with a catted downpipe you won't have to deal with boost creep as much as you would by going catless. Although I spent a tad more for a catted downpipe I have made my tuners job easier and I don't have to deal with the emissions bull crap. The car still sounds great too!

If you want a killer deal on a catted invidia downpipe shoot message Alan Miller at sales@dailydriven.us and tell him I sent you.
    Check out my projects:
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Sworn To Remember