Safe Mods, Longevity, Performance - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Safe Mods, Longevity, Performance within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mycologist On the older cars, the only hoses that would make a worthwhile difference performance wise on ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    On the older cars, the only hoses that would make a worthwhile difference performance wise on an otherwise stock to stage II car were the intercooler hoses. I don't know if that carries over to the '13.
    To add to your statements, I'd say the turbo inlet is worth replacing with an aftermarket version if the stock one cracks (as it's prone to do). The newer cars are also prone to intercooler cracking at Stage II (and sometimes even stage 1). For the 3G cars, I would reserve a budget for a new TMIC and retune with any stage II modification, unless the OP decides to replace it along with the downpipe.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've thought about this a bit.

You could do nothing at all and expect the car to last at least 200K miles with proper maintenance according to the schedule. If it doesn't, you could consider never buying another Subaru (I certainly wouldn't).

Or, you could switch to a larger radiator, larger oil sump, silicone hoses for air and water, and strip the chassis down to metal so that you can seam weld under argon along every spot weld. You could then expect the car to last 200K miles with proper maintenance according to the schedule. If it doesn't, you could consider buying another Subaru (I would).

Your call. If you need higher cooling capacity there is Koyo and others that make interesting Al radiators (see other threads). I'd not mess with the oil sump if the pickup still works (yours does, you'd know otherwise) and I'd go from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is DP, CAI, and AP v2-3 all I need to go Stage II?

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb map notes call for a turboback exhaust and an accessport with a stage 2 tune. You could go opensource tune (tactrix cable and laptop) and just get a downpipe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Map + downpipe is much more direct, less costly, and should give you the results you want. Shop for a map. Cobb is only one option. There are others.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Map + downpipe is much more direct, less costly, and should give you the results you want. Shop for a map. Cobb is only one option. There are others.
    Single time tune costs almost as much as a AP

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Right, a top dollar pro tune on a dyno would be a bout $500. But the AP is only hardware, if you want a good tune personalized for your car then you have to shell out more on top of that; and by then you've limited your options as far as tuners because not everyone tunes using an AP.

But that's not what SD is saying. TurboXS, TorquedPerformance, Vishnu and many others make maps, or you can get a good email tune from WTF tuning or from Phatbotti tuning, or one of many other excellent email tuners from around the country for about $250. Borrow a tactrix cable from someone in your local subaru club to load the map and record some logs, or buy one used for about $150. There's tons and tons of options out there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by magasiev13 View Post
    Single time tune costs almost as much as a AP
    But unlike the Cobb OTS maps, it would be custom-tailored to your car, and you'd have direct contact with a local tuner should issues arise later.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    But unlike the Cobb OTS maps, it would be custom-tailored to your car, and you'd have direct contact with a local tuner should issues arise later.
    I guess that answered my whole question lol. thanks

GREAT thread. I learned A LOT. Thanks guys.

@Rambo, I've seen you around here and you seem to have a lot of knowledge. I'm looking into buying a project bug eye in late spring and only recently bought my first Subaru so I'm not really experienced with their set up (Former Honda guy, last winter and my Saabaru 9-2x converted me lol) wondering if I could pm you questions when setting up my build?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by livid_wrx; 04-02-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Shifting Lanes, Zax, and EJ257 would be some good people to PM as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Shifting Lanes, Zax, and EJ257 would be some good people to PM as well.
    Yep, seen them around too. So much info on this site it's crazy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12