Warantee question

This is a discussion on Warantee question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When you guys mod a brand new car, what are some of the ways you avoid getting your warantee stripped? ...

Warantee question

When you guys mod a brand new car, what are some of the ways you avoid getting your warantee stripped? For example, I would really love the Invidia exhaust on my brand new 2014 Hatch, but I would hate to take it to the dealership for mantainance or an oil change and have them see it and void my warantee. I don't like the way the SPT sounds nearly as much, but if thats my only option to keep the warantee, then i'm going that route...

Do most of you just not care? Do you swap parts when you take the car back for maintainance?

What about tuning? If I use a Cobb or other tuning program and then put back the factory tune when I go to the dealership, will they know i messed with it?

Thanks in advance!
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    - '69 Chevy C-10 (HS project with dad - still have it)
    - '14 2.5L WRX Hatchback WRB aka "Sonic"
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    nothing can void your warranty, but it can cause a claim to be denied if they find your modification couldve caused the problem

ie: if your air conditioning stops working, they wont void your warranty because you have an exhaust. if your engine blows up they could potentially deny the warranty work because you have an exhaust/tune/etc.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Really?! That is good news! So I should basically get whatever exhaust I want huh? Thats the main thing for me, I don't want to go all out for now.

But out of curiosity, what do you do about tuning? Still they don't care as long as it cannot be blamed for your malfunction?
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

I Support ClubWRX
    i would honestly check with your dealer. some are more "mod-friendly" than others. there's a huge debate on whether or not you can flash the ECU, then flash back to stock & have it detected by the dealer. some say it can be detected, some say it cant. my opinion is that they will find out either way just by looking at the exhaust. you can tell if it's been tampered with/removed/modified/put back to stock, etc.

for me personally- i didnt care about my warranty so i did a full exhaust & a tune. knock on wood- 7 years, 73000 miles later... nothing has ever happened to my car and i've never taken it to the dealership for anything except the first 3 oil changes which were free lol.

desiree

If you want to keep the warranty just add the catback and nothing else.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is the question of the decade. Warranty's can NOT be voided. Your warranty claim, however, can be denied if the warranty company or you dealership has reasonable belief that your modification is, or could have been, the cause of said problem.

Mod at your own risk, as there is always a chance that something can happen. But you always only hear of the worst warranty stories, the 10%. You have to pay to play.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    This is the question of the decade. Warranty's can NOT be voided. Your warranty claim, however, can be denied if the warranty company or you dealership has reasonable belief that your modification is, or could have been, the cause of said problem.

Mod at your own risk, as there is always a chance that something can happen. But you always only hear of the worst warranty stories, the 10%. You have to pay to play.
    I second this opinion. My dealer I just bought my '14 WRX from specifically said they are funny about mods, but catbacks are fine. on my 02 2.5 RS i had intake, headers, hi flow cat, cutback exhaust and a stage 1 ACT clutch. I blew my tranny 1000 miles after the clutch because it hit the gears way harder than the stock one did and it couldn't take the abuse. I was young and dumb. That being said, I took it to a "mod friendly" dealer back then (2003-2004 or so) and despite and upgraded clutch they repaired under warranty. then it broke again literally a week later, under normal driving, so i presumed they did a bad repair job. They WOULD NOT fix it under warranty a second time. so the car sat in my driveway with the tranny in pieces in the box because I refused to pay the dealer, for 4 months until I could afford a rebuild at a local garage. got rid of the car soon after that, as the tranny was never the same even on a back to stock car.

In other words, long story short, if you're 20 like i was and abuse the car, chances of warranty denial are very high with mods that can be directly tied to an issue
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount, Corsa CBE
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

I've been searching for a response like this. I want to go stage 1 and intake only and I've been back and forth with my decision. How do you drive your car? I'm not a racer but I do like a good spirited drive from time to time. Would you say a stage 1 is fairly safe safe if you don't beat on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i would honestly check with your dealer. some are more "mod-friendly" than others. there's a huge debate on whether or not you can flash the ECU, then flash back to stock & have it detected by the dealer. some say it can be detected, some say it cant. my opinion is that they will find out either way just by looking at the exhaust. you can tell if it's been tampered with/removed/modified/put back to stock, etc.

for me personally- i didnt care about my warranty so i did a full exhaust & a tune. knock on wood- 7 years, 73000 miles later... nothing has ever happened to my car and i've never taken it to the dealership for anything except the first 3 oil changes which were free lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackanova View Post
    I've been searching for a response like this. I want to go stage 1 and intake only and I've been back and forth with my decision. How do you drive your car? I'm not a racer but I do like a good spirited drive from time to time. Would you say a stage 1 is fairly safe safe if you don't beat on the car?
    i think stage 1 & stage 2 are very safe to be honest as long as you dont constantly beat the crap out of your car every single day. i drive like a grandma mostly but do get on it & have some fun now & then. the car has never been launched. i have taken it to the drag strip as well as an autocross where i drove the car very hard, but still never launched in fear of my transmission going byebye lol

desiree

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll just have a chat with the manager in the shop at the dealership and see how he sees it.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, everyone always seems to think that SPT parts are warranty safe. Not necessarily the case. Anything done to the car after the purchase date is considered an aftermarket modification. Unless done before you pick the car up (and listed on the sticker and represented to be under warranty) then the parts are typically not covered under the factory warranty. A lot of dealerships will say one way or another that they are either mod friendly or not...It is helpful if they are mod friendly, but ultimately, if you have a major failure, it would be the subaru rep's call if they are going to cover the fix. The real decision to make here is that if you are going to mod, are you willing to accept the risk that if something goes wrong that you might have to cover the cost? If the answer is yes, then do it. Just make sure and do your research before you do any modifications to reduce the likelihood of something going wrong as a result of said modification.

One last food for thought...you can get warranty claims denied even if you are stock, if they claim that the car was abused...not as likely and easy for them to do if they see aftermarket parts all over the car, but still not out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i think stage 1 & stage 2 are very safe to be honest as long as you dont constantly beat the crap out of your car every single day. i drive like a grandma mostly but do get on it & have some fun now & then. the car has never been launched. i have taken it to the drag strip as well as an autocross where i drove the car very hard, but still never launched in fear of my transmission going byebye lol