Exhaust wrap?

This is a discussion on Exhaust wrap? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So guys, this monday i will be installing all of my stage 2 goodies. (cant wait ) But i started ...

Question Exhaust wrap?

So guys, this monday i will be installing all of my stage 2 goodies. (cant wait) But i started thinking about maybe wrapping my downpipe with exhaust wrap. Is this something i should do or not? I never did it on my two prior wrx's, but know many do. What are the pro's and con's to doing, or not doing this? Thanks!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm doing the same thing, stage 2 next week and going through the same dilemma. My tuner said it's not necessary but it can only help.
    However, the exhaust post turbo is meant to dissipate heat, the wrap keeps the heat in and breaks havoc on the piping. Some say wrap only pre turbo for this reason.
    Fires are a concern as well, but the wrap is very durable.
    I'm leaning towards wrapping. I live in florida and the radiant heat from the DP will cause bad heat soak in the summer, as my IATs are pretty high already. But only wrap the pipe from what you can see from atop the engine, stop at the firewall.
    Was thinking about getting DEI reflect a gold tape to keep heat off the TMIC and intake too.
    Good luck!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

i used this, DEI titanium heat tape. from top of the downpipe until out of sight from looking down ontop the engine bay.
    Amazon.com: DEI 010127 2" Titanium Exhaust/ Header Wrap - 50&#39;: Automotive
    (forget what size i used and how much is needed)

in april ill be getting DEI gold heat reflecting tape for my TMIC, intake and on top of my radiator and rad shroud.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram