Stage 2 on 2004 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stage 2 on 2004 WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I keep getting the CEL P0420 on my 2004 WRX. The first cat after my turbo has gone bad ...

Stage 2 on 2004 WRX

So I keep getting the CEL P0420 on my 2004 WRX. The first cat after my turbo has gone bad and it is at least $1000 to fix it with the stock cat. I currently have a 3" SPT cat back exhaust on the car along with a SPT intake. Due to the price, I would like to go full stage 2 and buy the Cobb catted down pipe along with the V3 AP. Has anyone else done this modification? I live in an area where my car does get sniffed for inspection, so everything needs to pass. With this modification, will it ruin my O2 sensor/sensors and will I always have a CEL on in the car? I really appreciate any comments/suggestions.
    That awkward moment when you realize that an energy drink company has a better space program than your country...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The stage 2 tune disables the P0420 code so you wouldn't get that cell. Lots of people go stage 2...pretty common. I would probably do that over getting the stock cat in there (how many miles are on your car? I think subaru will replace a bad cat for a significant amount of miles...worth looking in to). If you get the "sniff" test, I am not sure you would pass with the high flow dp or not. Never had to pass a sniff test haha.

If the inspection is odbii it should be fine.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

11blackSTi:

I have 114,xxx on the car. I just don't see the point in spending all that money on a stock part when I can spend the same and get an increase in power and torque.
    That awkward moment when you realize that an energy drink company has a better space program than your country...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2004 View Post
    11blackSTi:

I have 114,xxx on the car. I just don't see the point in spending all that money on a stock part when I can spend the same and get an increase in power and torque.
    No I would go stage 2 as well haha...Ok I think that is over the miles they would cover it anyway...I think they will cover it for like 8year/80K miles or something. Just thought I would mention it!

Yeah just go stage 2. Do you have a catless up pipe?

11blackSTi: I appreciate you mentioning that they would potentially replace it. I am actually working with Subaru on a fuel issue now. When it gets cold (as it does here in PA), there is a strong fuel smell that comes into the cabin of the car. Apparently this was a recall in the 02-03 models but it is only a TSB for all the newer models.

frenziecage: I do not have a catless up pipe. Is that going to be necessary for the modifications I would like to do?

Btw one thing to consider a hi flow cat will most likely not pass emission if it gets sniffed my recommendation is to go with a catless downpipe and keep your stock one. When emissions rolls around just slap your stock downpipe back on 30 mins out of your day to swap it then just flash back to your stock map after emissions is done slap the catless dp back on and switch back to your s2 map.

I Support ClubWRX
    11blackSTi: I appreciate you mentioning that they would potentially replace it. I am actually working with Subaru on a fuel issue now. When it gets cold (as it does here in PA), there is a strong fuel smell that comes into the cabin of the car. Apparently this was a recall in the 02-03 models but it is only a TSB for all the newer models.

frenziecage: I do not have a catless up pipe. Is that going to be necessary for the modifications I would like to do?
    Catless up pipe is highly recommended for your year car as the cat degrades and if it comes apart it will get sucked into your engine.

Yes catless up pipe is very important cuz if the cat collapses (which has happened) in 02-05 models it can destroy your turbo or in the worst case it would destroy your motor. Get that up pipe swapped soon, even a stock car if under boost a lot should have a catless up pipe installed.

To save you the trouble of posting another thread after you swap your up pipe you will get a CEL simple fix is to get a 2.2ohm resistor 2.2K Ohm Resistor Mod

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    Btw one thing to consider a hi flow cat will most likely not pass emission if it gets sniffed my recommendation is to go with a catless downpipe and keep your stock one. When emissions rolls around just slap your stock downpipe back on 30 mins out of your day to swap it then just flash back to your stock map after emissions is done slap the catless dp back on and switch back to your s2 map.
    The problem with this solution is that my current downpipe will not pass inspection...

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    To save you the trouble of posting another thread after you swap your up pipe you will get a CEL simple fix is to get a 2.2ohm resistor 2.2K Ohm Resistor Mod
    Is there a tune in the AP that will get rid of that CEL without using a resistor?

I Support ClubWRX
    The problem with this solution is that my current downpipe will not pass inspection...
    You need to become friends with someone that works at a shop that does inspections

The resistor is a very easy mod to install takes 5 mins out of your day I'm not sure about the AP but I know if you get a protune the tuner will erase the CEL for you. You might as well just do the resistor mod simple to do and works great. You could look around on the forums for a used stock dp cuz I know for a fact that you probably wont pass emissions with a hiflow cat. That's the main reason I went catless no reason to spend the extra 200$ on a hi flow catted dp when it wont do what it claims.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast