K&N?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on K&N? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a 14' hatch, all stock and was gonna do a simple upgrade like a K&N filter...any thoughts ...

K&N?

So I have a 14' hatch, all stock and was gonna do a simple upgrade like a K&N filter...any thoughts as to how it will benefit me or sound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The K&N filter, in theory, will not change the sound and honestly will give you absolutely minimal gains, definitely not anywhere close to beneficial especially if the old filter is brand new... Any bolt on mod that gives you any sort of noticeable change in performance for these cars requires a tune.

There is a thread in the stickies that shows a lot of good first mods to do for your WRX.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Sums it up! Thank you!

I Support ClubWRX
    K&N Short Ram will give you a great sound. The flat panel filter isn't worth it, and the oil is known to gum up the MAF sensor and IAT bulb.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

The short ram...exactly what is that and does a tune need done after?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRice14 View Post
    The short ram...exactly what is that and does a tune need done after?
    It's an aftermarket intake. They have short ram intakes and cold air intakes. The short ram intake is more inside the engine bay as to a CAI which pulls in cooler air from near the wheel well. Yes you would need to tune for it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0411.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	140137

This is a short ram intake. Replaces your air box, panel filter, snorkus, intake tube and MAF with a cone filter, heat shield, and intake tube.

Only purchase a reputable one. Personally, I'd only purchase K&N Typhoon and COBB SF because both have the heat shields, and a reputation for not having to tune.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

This is a short ram intake. Replaces your air box, panel filter, snorkus, intake tube and MAF with a cone filter, heat shield, and intake tube.

Only purchase a reputable one. Personally, I'd only purchase K&N Typhoon and COBB SF because both have the heat shields, and a reputation for not having to tune.
    A rep for "not" having to tune???

I had the k&n on mine for a week...then did my research and took it off. Don't waste your money on the drop in filter.

If you do want a intake, get the cobb once you have their AccessPort to safely run it.

Oh, and torqued performance has a map to run the K&N typhoon intake of you choose that route...

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post

I had the k&n on mine for a week...then did my research and took it off. Don't waste your money on the drop in filter.

If you do want a intake, get the cobb once you have their AccessPort to safely run it.

Oh, and torqued performance has a map to run the K&N typhoon intake of you choose that route...
    I heard AEM CAI is a reputable product too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post

First thing is first. Screw Eric from TP. He's a giant piece of crap who is dangerous to vehicles. He disabled a lot of the safety measures during my tune. He's a rogue tuner whom I had some very off dealings with. I'm not a fan in the least bit.

Secondly, have you ever put a k&n typhoon on, and then had your vehicle checked on a dyno? I have. And it was fine on my vehicle.

What was your research? Was it factual? I had a K&N typhoon for 85,000 miles. 35,000 of it was untuned.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    I heard AEM CAI is a reputable product too.
    On 02-07's it had a very bad rep. I hear the 08+ design is a lot better. No personal experience though
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

On 02-07's it had a very bad rep. I hear the 08+ design is a lot better. No personal experience though
    Doesn't it fit in the fenderwell? I would be too worried about it coming in contact with water in heavy rains.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    The K&N filter, in theory, will not change the sound and honestly will give you absolutely minimal gains, definitely not anywhere close to beneficial especially if the old filter is brand new... Any bolt on mod that gives you any sort of noticeable change in performance for these cars requires a tune.

There is a thread in the stickies that shows a lot of good first mods to do for your WRX.

That^ If you really want a intake go with cobb stage 1 kit

First thing is first. Screw Eric from TP. He's a giant piece of crap who is dangerous to vehicles. He disabled a lot of the safety measures during my tune. He's a rogue tuner whom I had some very off dealings with. I'm not a fan in the least bit. .

I agree 100% eric is a giant pos did a horrible tune on my car was a really unsafe map and very unprofessional the way he does his business he's just a wannabe tuner.

I Support ClubWRX

Very interesting. I didn't realize the k&n didn't need to be tuned. I was under the impression that the 08+ were very sensitive to any type of intake modification. I'd question the point of adding an intake that made no noticeable amount of change for which a retune would be required. Certainly not questioning your facts at all as you obviously have personal experience with it. Just find it an interesting fact. I would always advise that it would be a good idea to have a method of monitoring or logging data regardless just so that I could tell if there were any bad effects of any mod...just in case of a bad install, leak, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast