K&N? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on K&N? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by tesla317 Doesn't it fit in the fenderwell? I would be too worried about it coming in contact ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Doesn't it fit in the fenderwell? I would be too worried about it coming in contact with water in heavy rains.
    A short ram by definition doesn't go in the fenderwell.

I've never heard of a cold air having problems in the rain (there are fender liners) but I have personally seen poorly fitting short rams sit close enough to the crack between the hood and fender that they've ingested water and stuttered. No long term effects though.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes I have A SF intake and I took it through a auto wash once I got out of it my car was running like **** stuttering and didnt want to go anywhere. Shut the car down for an hour let the intake dry started it up died right away. start up again with a little bit of revving it was good to go.

I'm one of those few that is very skeptical about a CAI I don't feel comfortable with a CAI on my car sure it will be fine in the rain but what happens when you hit a puddle?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Very interesting. I didn't realize the k&n didn't need to be tuned. I was under the impression that the 08+ were very sensitive to any type of intake modification. I'd question the point of adding an intake that made no noticeable amount of change for which a retune would be required. Certainly not questioning your facts at all as you obviously have personal experience with it. Just find it an interesting fact. I would always advise that it would be a good idea to have a method of monitoring or logging data regardless just so that I could tell if there were any bad effects of any mod...just in case of a bad install, leak, etc.
    I agree, having an accessport to datalog would be a great idea.

My experience with the k&n typhoon was on an 06. Personally haven't tried it on a g3, but the engine from 2006-2014 is almost identical with small little differences (mostly intake manifold inter cooler and bypass valve). I'm not sure why the 2008 would be more sensitive than an 06, but if you can provide a good source, that would rock.

Here's a datalog from someone with a 2009 and a k&n typhoon with no tune.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121...009-wrx-29061/
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    I'm one of those few that is very skeptical about a CAI I don't feel comfortable with a CAI on my car sure it will be fine in the rain but what happens when you hit a puddle?
    The water should deflect off the fenderwell liner if there is no damage.

Now, submerging the car (a la drews) is a different story.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Well whether it's maybe safe or not without a tune...it wasn't worth the risk to me. I'm already paying 24k on my car, I wasn't about risk it....that's why I had the k&n and took it off and sold it.

If I get another, it will be Cobb sf with box...with a tune. That much potential risk is not worth the miniscule gains from a intake...just my 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Doesn't it fit in the fenderwell? I would be too worried about it coming in contact with water in heavy rains.
    On the 08+ it does sit right in the top of the fender well and is a pretty reputable setup, but water from weather has not really been a known issue with these. And if you are in deep enough water to hydrolock an AEM CAI then your car will likely be inoperable anyhow.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The water should deflect off the fenderwell liner if there is no damage.

Now, submerging the car (a la drews) is a different story.

hahaha

So from your previous post about the SF being installed improperly same concept apply for a CAI?

So if I'm understanding correctly if I go with a K&N short ram I don't need tuned? Sorry lol

You should always tune for a intake.. Just get the cobb stage 1 kit Subaru WRX / STI / FXT Stage 1+ Power Package with V3

MTM
    there are a lot of other things Id buy for 1k...

^yes me too lol. It was just a recommendation if you get a intake you need to tune for it. If you get a AEM intake or cobb intake without AP your still going to need to get a protune. That might be the cheaper route to go but a AP is a nice thing to have.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just thought I would throw it out there that there are other options other than the COBB AP. If you choose to go opensource, you can buy a tactrix cable and use your laptop. Then you can purchase an "e-tune" online that will be custom designed for you. We have a vendor on here called "WTF Tuning" that offers this service. Very reputable and well known tuner. If you choose this route, I would contact them before buying hardware and getting their thoughts on what you should get.

Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

(By the way, the author of that thread is the tuner at WTF Tuning)
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 03-19-2014 at 05:03 AM.

I agree, having an accessport to datalog would be a great idea.

My experience with the k&n typhoon was on an 06. Personally haven't tried it on a g3, but the engine from 2006-2014 is almost identical with small little differences (mostly intake manifold inter cooler and bypass valve). I'm not sure why the 2008 would be more sensitive than an 06, but if you can provide a good source, that would rock.

Here's a datalog from someone with a 2009 and a k&n typhoon with no tune.

FYI--K&N Typhoon 2009 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum
    From what I understand, the 08+ 3rd gen models are in fact different. They use legacy style intakes which were apparently a bit more restrictive, which is why when you add an aftermarket intake at Stage 2 levels, you actually do see gains. Where as when you threw an intake on GD models before and around Stage 2 mods, they really didn't add anything in the way of power.

That being said, I also ran SPT and Cobb short rams on my first two STIs which were GD models, and had no issues with either of them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

First thing is first. Screw Eric from TP. He's a giant piece of crap who is dangerous to vehicles. He disabled a lot of the safety measures during my tune. He's a rogue tuner whom I had some very off dealings with. I'm not a fan in the least bit.

Secondly, have you ever put a k&n typhoon on, and then had your vehicle checked on a dyno? I have. And it was fine on my vehicle.

What was your research? Was it factual? I had a K&N typhoon for 85,000 miles. 35,000 of it was untuned.
    Hold up, what's wrong with Eric at TP? I'm working on a stage 2 tune with him, 2 Months after I bought it, very kind and quick to respond.
    Can u elaborate on what unsafe measures he takes?
    I know nothing of tuning and I don't know what would look unsafe.
    I went with him because I was too afraid of using a tactrix cable and this is the first negative thing I've heard.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.