500hp WRX advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 500hp WRX advice within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I literally just bought my wrx. It's a 2014 WRB sedan. At work there's a guy with a 2013 ...

500hp WRX advice

So I literally just bought my wrx. It's a 2014 WRB sedan. At work there's a guy with a 2013 wrx pushing 280-300. I'm new to the whole car scene, but I'm pretty handy and a quick learner. So is there anyone out there with a 08+ 500+hp WRX? What are the parts I'll need and so forth. Any help is appreciated.

And yes I know it's going to be a
    20k+ project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subaru Impreza WRX STI (GRB) 775Ps: http://youtu.be/DwiNkiBjfck

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You have a wrx and you want 500hp? I would suggest trading it in for an sti or better yet an EVO....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Sell your WRX and buy a Supra.

I drove my friends STI made 490 at the wheels. It defiantly was fun but not practical as a daily driver.

but if you really must have that much power talk to a tuner and let them know what you want and have them build you a motor
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Sell your WRX and buy a Supra.

I drove my friends STI made 490 at the wheels. It defiantly was fun but not practical as a daily driver.

but if you really must have that much power talk to a tuner and let them know what you want and have them build you a motor
    This. Talk to whoever is going to be your tuner and let them know your goal.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'm at something like 330hp/385tq on the dyno, and there is no way forward now without a full turbo, motor and tranny build. So, my advice comes from my car & experience, and you'll obviously have to talk to a tuner about getting to 500 hp at the wheels.

All that being said, my car (a 2013 WRX hatchback) realistically struggles to handle the power level I'm at now on the stock clutch, brakes and tranny (particularly the rear diff), and I barely ever get into fully boost below 3rd gear. A lot of this has to do with the rear diff and transmission in general, so I would strongly suggest you drive/ride along with a car that's at the 300 hp/350tq mark, and see if that's enough for you. The jump from there to 500hp is a big one. I suggest this, because you're going to be in for a serious bill once you build the motor, turbo, clutch, tranny, fuel system, and other supporting mods to get there (brakes, suspension, cooling, tires... the list goes on and on at that power level). Only a tuner can get you the real info you need to make that power.

Now, assuming you have the cash to get there (I'd plan on $15k minimum to do it right, which it has to be if you are going to DD it - and you seem to understand that), awesome. Do it and enjoy if that's how you want to spend your money (and make sure you show up at my place to give me a ride!). And plan on a motor rebuild every 50k, and you should get your fun and money out of it. However, from my point of view, the sweet spot for power/money ratio for these cars staying primarily stock is stage 2 with a EBCS and a good protune, with small supporting mods (all done for around $1k). All easy modifications, and it really opens up the car. Past that, I think you end up changing out so many parts that you might as well have started with a different platform. If you are serious about it, I'd suggest starting with an STI over the WRX as well.

So, if you are serious, here's a build that he daily drove. Make sure you read the whole thing:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2078765
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 03-17-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Get a brostang.

Also, if only we had a sticky about wanted over 400whp somewhere...

Oh wait here we go. I want 400WHP!!!1!juan!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Get a brostang.

Also, if only we had a sticky about wanted over 400whp somewhere...

Oh wait here we go. I want 400WHP!!!1!juan!
    +1

...Or consider reading around a bit before asking people how to dump 10-20 grand into a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

MTM
    do you have another 20k?

why wouldnt you just buy a car that comes with close to that amount of HP stock?

500HP is an insane amount of power... most that have that much are not streetable.

350awhp is more than enough for dd. if i ever plan on performance mods that would be my goal in hp.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    the sweet spot for power/money ratio for these cars staying primarily stock is stage 2 with a EBCS and a good protune, with small supporting mods (all done for around $1k). All easy modifications, and it really opens up the car. Past that, I think you end up changing out so many parts that you might as well have started with a different platform.
    This. The WRX just isn't that kind of car... I'd look at an EVO, 5.0 or a Boss mustang, an STi...stuff like that. Brakes, diffs, transmissions, are all probly going to be problems for you with a WRX, you may as well start with a car that matches up better to that power goal.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    No.
    Ha!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

500hp WRX advice

You should just buy two wrxs then you will have 530 (crank) Naa good luck if you decide to go for it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.