!st time subie 02 wrx, whats next step
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on !st time subie 02 wrx, whats next step within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so far borla exhausr, catless downpipe(godspeed), uppipe(perrin), fiberglass wraped, k&N cold air, so what next? silicone turbo intake?, intercoller?(any recomendations, ...

!st time subie 02 wrx, whats next step

so far
    borla exhausr, catless downpipe(godspeed), uppipe(perrin), fiberglass wraped, k&N cold air, so what next? silicone turbo intake?, intercoller?(any recomendations, what makes one better than another)
    turbo(recomendations? would like a bolt and go, tuning or ecu programer once again recomendatins, and also any of these parts anyone has second hand i am in the market.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So please tell me you have a tune.......
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by krafishing View Post
    so far
    borla exhausr, catless downpipe(godspeed), uppipe(perrin), fiberglass wraped, k&N cold air, so what next? silicone turbo intake?, intercoller?(any recomendations, what makes one better than another)
    turbo(recomendations? would like a bolt and go, tuning or ecu programer once again recomendatins, and also any of these parts anyone has second hand i am in the market.
    I would make sure the maintenance is up do date. How many miles? This will be the best step to ensure that your car continues on for another 12 years

What is your goal here? Are you doing an larger turbo? Any autox? Daily driver? What do you notice driving the car around that you feel should be improved? The answers to these questions will help us provide suggestions as to what to do.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    So please tell me you have a tune.......
    02/03's dont require a tune for those modifications.

i would definitely recommend it though to get the most power gains.

as far as upgrading turbos & what not, there is no such thing as bolt on & go. you will need supporting mods to go along with it.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

no tune yet, its a second vehicle, i usually just fix cars up and drive them for a year and then sell them, but im really loving this car and think i might want a 818 down the road, so im getting to know the motor, im old school hot rod guy just got into small motors a few years ago, never owned a turbo car before or an AWD, but im not looking to race it and still want it to be able to drive on a trip lng distnace, it does have high miles but always well taken care of. allways synthetic oil, and tranny fluid is manual and also has been well taken care of.204k and no oil burning , Biggest reason for doing the up pipe is obvious(after reading of exploding turbos) and figured while im there might as well get rid of the cats on the down pipe. so if i cant find a tuner localy (in panama city ,FL) would a cobb aceport v3 be my best alternative or wait till i can get a pro tune done. Oh i am planing on changing the timing belt next, I basicly figured if there was anything else that i should do before getting it tuned like the intercooller and the silicone turbo inlet pipe or any other bolt on that is worth getting before i have it tuned. Probably not going to returbo right now.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Do you plan to race/autocross it? Some of those mods can put you in a class you really don't want to be in. Are you absolutely set on power upgrades or can I persuade you to tackle the suspension?

1. Maintenance
    2. Tune
    3. Continue on with mods

-Make sure all of your maint. is up to date, and a compression/leak down test would not be a bad idea at all. Check vacuum lines. The usual. Especially since you plan on doing major power mods in the future.
    impreza-manuals

-I would tune it right now. You're not seeing any benefit from those mods without it. And that cold air intake could be throwing the MAF scaling off. A pro-tune would be preferred, there's several ways: email tune, in person tune on the street or on a dyno. Or there is the Cobb route and similar. There are great tuners out there that can tune with the AP or you can use Cobb's OTS maps with the AP. You just have to decide if you have any hardware preferences. There are advantages to each. But I guess you could wait until you do the turbo swap, could save you money depending on which route you choose. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable without a tune.

-To continue on modding I would suggest moving over to suspension. You asked what's next ..That's what I would lobby for. I like the reliability of sticking close to stock power on the engine. But that's just me lol.

Many states frown upon completely catless. The police will harass you just for the sound.
    It's difficult to have a monster engine that can run smooth on long casual drives, an old school hotrod guy should know.
    Be informed that our 02/03 WRX drivetrains can only handle 350hp/tq give or take a couple.
    Stock turbo maxxed out with other upgrades will get you to that threshhold.
    Read, read, read the "sticky" threads. You will learn quite a bit.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    02/03's dont require a tune for those modifications.

i would definitely recommend it though to get the most power gains.

as far as upgrading turbos & what not, there is no such thing as bolt on & go. you will need supporting mods to go along with it.
    I knew the bugeye's didnt need a tune for say like an intake and tbe. But i figured with a "catless" dp it would. Never owned a bugeye, so im not 100% on them.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Please tell me you have a tune on the car???

A nice turbo for a bugeye is 16gxt with supporting mods nothing is bolt and go. You would need injectors, fuel pump, intercooler and a protune. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 3 port EBCS to mange boost a bit better, ELH is another nice upgrade. Anything you do to our cars you need to account for a tune. Especially after adding a downpipe it's pointless to add a downpipe and not tune for it, you wont get noticeable gains without the proper tune.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.