Opinions on manual and electronic boost controllers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Opinions on manual and electronic boost controllers within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got a 2012 WRX sedan daily driver with a stage 2 tune. When it comes to boost controllers, what kind ...

Opinions on manual and electronic boost controllers

Got a 2012 WRX sedan daily driver with a stage 2 tune. When it comes to boost controllers, what kind seems to be the most user friendly and effective, electronic or manual? Grimmspeed makes both and have heard mixed reviews about both so what makes you guys happy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    Got a 2012 WRX sedan daily driver with a stage 2 tune. When it comes to boost controllers, what kind seems to be the most user friendly and effective, electronic or manual? Grimmspeed makes both and have heard mixed reviews about both so what makes you guys happy?
    Hybrid boost control set-up is pretty much the best around. Used a 3-port solenoid with a MBC in parallel. Reuires a retune.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I was actually reading alittle about that in the WTF Tuning threads, I like the idea of having the advantages of both and that one will still work if the other one will fail, as long as it's safe for what i'm trying to accomplish and won't mess up anything in the engine...and I was thinking for the MBC to get the Hallman evo RX so I can make adjustments inside the car. I just got the Accessport V3 so that should work for the tuning right??
    Last edited by SuperSonic12; 03-16-2014 at 09:22 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    None of Cobb's maps are set up for those mods. You will need a custom tune

Sent from my magic banana...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ohh ok, so i'll have to find a honorable tune shop before going that route then, which I wanted to do anyway to get accurate readings on what my car is doing after the short ram intake and turbo back exhaust is put on. thanks donkey.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    ohh ok, so i'll have to find a honorable tune shop before going that route then, which I wanted to do anyway to get accurate readings on what my car is doing after the short ram intake and turbo back exhaust is put on. thanks donkey.
    You don't need a professional tuner to just get some log files. You mentioned you have the Accessport V3, so you can use that to take a few logging runs after you install the parts and upload the appropriate Cobb map. As long as you follow their map requirements to the letter, you should be fine. In rare instances, the car just won't play nice with Cobb's tune, in which case you can work with them to resolve the issue.

All of that said, a professional tune via a reputable tuner is more beneficial over Cobb's off the shelf tunes, but you don't need a pro's services for just a few logging runs.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.