Subaru WRX Forum banner

Meet the Slowest 3G WRX in existence...

23K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  youra6 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me preface by saying that I really like my new Suby. I've owned several Subbies before, but never a WRX. This car is literally brand new with less than 350 miles on it. Car was never launched or abused. Kept under 5K until the dyno runs. It has a mix of whatever the dealership put in for gas and 93 octane. I wasted no time to getting this thing to Stage 2.

Here is my setup:

1. '14 WRX Hatch
  2. Protune Open Source
  3. Invidia Catless Downpipe
  4. 3 Solenoid boost control
  5. AEM CAI

Here are some other info:

• 91/93 Octane mix
  • 850 feet above sea level
  • 40-50 degrees F (located around Milwaukee,WI)
  • Dynojet

My baseline run gave me a result of 211/235... A bit on the low side. I was a bit disappointed but waited for my tuned numbers to come in.

With a Stg 2, I got 253/280 on a freakin DynoJet. If these were Mustang Dyno numbers I wouldn't be disappointed, but this is the lowest WHP/TQ number I have seen in ANY 3G Stage 2 WRX to date.

I know Dyno charts are just numbers; if I got 280 I would be fine with it. But 253 WHP after Stage 2 on a Dynojet??? And the tuner told me that those were normal. Sounds like a big fat lie. Anyone have any insight? I'm picking up the car tomorrow so I haven't driven the car yet.

My delta HP gain is +42WHP.

My only explanation for the low numbers:

1.Bad Dyno calibration (but these guys seem legit, decent number of clients and pretty good reviews)
2.Engine not broken into yet
3.Not using pure 93 octane gas.
4.My WRX is special (and not in a good way).

See less See more
#2 ·
The numbers do seem kind of low, but that is still a 20% increase in power, which is a fair amount. How does the car "feel" to you? As you mentioned, dyno's are different from dyno to dyno, so maybe the one you were on just throws low readings. If you went to a good tuner and he told you it is normal, then why not trust him? If you don't trust him, then you went to the wrong tuner.

And sorry I just have to say it...Stage 2 mods and dyno runs are not part of subaru's break in procedures per the owners manual. I would always suggest that the car go though at least break in period before doing major modifications and certainly dyno running.

#9 ·
And sorry I just have to say it...Stage 2 mods and dyno runs are not part of subaru's break in procedures per the owners manual. I would always suggest that the car go though at least break in period before doing major modifications and certainly dyno running.
^This, but hey to each their own.

I think that maybe the fact the motor isn't broken in yet could have something to do with the lower numbers? or it could just be the tuner. That graph doesn't seem to be very smooth to me though... not sure if that is normal or not, and the local tuners could weigh in on that aspect.

#4 · (Edited)
Absolutely. I will post one when I post it when I get my car back today. The shop is only opened during normal work hours so I had to drop off the car in the morning. I wasn't there for any of the installation or tuning. :shakehead:

TBH, lie is a stretch here. I think the better word for how I feel is skeptical. There is a couple reasons why I don't 100% trust him.

1. First, the guy who tuned my car isn't the person who installed it. The tuner is a part time employees who comes in at nights. I'm pretty sure he does everything unsupervised.
2. It's hard to believe that these readings are true, when literally every STG 2 dyno graph seems to be getting more than 40/50 HP than me. If the disparity was only 10-20, I wouldn't even bother asking. :)
3. No reference baseline numbers from other 3G WRXs he has tuned.
4. Agenda. If he admitted they were low, it might be interpreted that he isn't a competent tuner.

He even told me that the HP were low because the car wasn't properly broken in yet. I don't believe I have found much evidence to support this. Even so, it wouldn't increase it by 20-30WHP in the next 1K miles.

#5 ·
You'll probably take a bunch of unnecessary flack here for not breaking it in first. That being said, for a brand new car I'd be happy that he dosen't seem to have gone for a number but instead gave you what is hopefully a safe tune. If it were me, I'd wait until after the break in (just to eliminate that possibility) and then go see a tuner who you really trust to see where it is at and if there is more on the table. You've got plenty to get used to driving the car with.

#7 ·
I'd contact him again and get into the thought process he had. Maybe you guys aren't on the same page. That is a low number comparatively. Although, if I were the tuner I'd feel rather uncomfortable tuning a car that early and would give a conservative tune to sort of cover my ass.

#14 ·
Also, not having fresh gas in there probably cost you a fair bit.

I don't think it is one thing here - you're losses stacked. It should make for a good safe tune for now.

#16 ·
I would agree with this.

Baseline was low. The +42 WHP was a bit low but within normal ranges.

If I had a baseline run of 230, I would be at 270+. Like I said, I would be ecstatic to get 270 WHP at this point. :p In another couple of thousand miles or so, I'll go back for another dyno and see where I am at.

P.S. I ran into another (small) issue with my car's electrical system. I'll create another thread for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.