Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 WRX Wagon . . A Dead Cowboy

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Oilypablo 
#1 ·
A Dead Cowboy

I recently purchased my 2011 Subaru Wrx Wagon from a dealership local here in Pennsylvania. Its got 34,000 miles Cobb Tuned with Downpipe, Full Catback Exhaust, 725 CC Injectors, DW65 Pump, Cobb Intake, Process West TMIC, Lowered on Bilstein Struts and Springs, GBCS 3 Port, NGK One step Colder, and Cobb Access V2. All the work was done to the WRX when I purchased it from this dealer.

So here I am cruising down the highway with the wifey and both boys and I suddenly get a P0304 and a flashing CEL. I clear the code, restart the car and instantly comes back, as well does a tapping sound from the 4th cylinder and rough idle. I pulled cylinder number 4 spark plug and it was smashed as I had predicted. I replaced it with another plug and started the car up, the code went away, the idle smoothed out and the car drives an runs fine. Obviously . . . I took it to the dealer I had bought it from and they pulled the plug like I knew they would, scoped it and found the piston falling apart.

Long story longer, Here I am with a dilemma. . . Subaru says they have to consult the corporate office and discuss whether or not they will warranty the work due to modifications done. My next step is what rings, pistons, bearings, crank, and rods do I go with pending the dealer doesnt warranty my work. I have good knowledge and a great machine shop to get it done.

See less See more
#3 ·
This is the danger of buying a modified vehicle. Did the dealer explicitly offer a warranty on the car when they sold it? Was it a Subaru dealer?

Subaru has every right to deny a warranty claim for a new shortblock. If they choose to deny the claim, consult the engine build threads on here to see what people prefer for the parts you mentioned.

Lastly, nobody is paid here to help you. Complaining about not getting a response will usually turn people away.

#4 ·
Except moderators. We're paid a lot.

Think upper 6 figures.

The car was modified; the motor failed. If I were Subaru, I would likely deny the warranty claim as well. This is the reason I do not modify a car that still has a warranty. Not sure what else you want to hear. I will offer you the best of luck.

#5 ·
Yeah it will come down to a mod-friendly dealer or not. As Isaac asks, Subaru dealer or other with any warranty offered on the car when you bought it?

Are you positive the car had a proper tune on it for all the mods anyway? You say it has an AP, but that doesn't mean it had a proper tune. OTS maps don't account for half of the parts you have.

As for internals, what do you want out of the car? Are you planning on pushing more power or upgrading the turbo? You're still technically sitting just above basic Stage 2...which doesn't warrant really much more in terms of built internals.

But if you busted a piston, I suspect you were running rich in that cylinder for some reason...you'll also need to dig down to find out WHY that happened, otherwise you risk doing it all over again once it's rebuilt.

#7 ·
But if you busted a piston, I suspect you were running rich in that cylinder for some reason...you'll also need to dig down to find out WHY that happened, otherwise you risk doing it all over again once it's rebuilt.
Lean, bud. You went the wrong way ;)

#9 ·
Okay ripped into the motor, apparently Subaru has issues with ring lands. . guess whos motor had a problem with its ring lands. . . mine. Subaru is warranting the motor thanks to my cunning a**hole comments and throwing that word of lawyer out there got me responses fast! I apologize for being pissy but when you look at the post and see 178 views and 0 replies it tends to prove that if it doesn't directly help a user on this forum they don't care to help. . not used to that compared to the NASIOC forum. This is handled and is taken care of now, my motor will be fixed, thanks to those of you who offered their direct opinions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.