I need convincing to go stage 1! (Yes, another one of these threads)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I need convincing to go stage 1! (Yes, another one of these threads) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just recently traded up to a 14' WRX Hatch, and I'm already @ 1100 miles and I'm seriously considering the ...

I need convincing to go stage 1! (Yes, another one of these threads)

Just recently traded up to a 14' WRX Hatch, and I'm already @ 1100 miles and I'm seriously considering the stage 1 tune. Problem is I need to be "convinced" more so to speak. I have money set aside if I do in fact, do the tune if something goes wrong...but I just want to do what will be best for the health of the engine.

I really don't want to open up a huge debate or anything, so if that happens feel free to lock this thread up just in case.

Convince me!

Also,

EDIT: Just realized, I'm a dummy and posted in the wrong forum! Sorry...
    Last edited by Ensorcelled; 03-10-2014 at 12:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Well, I got a V3 to go stage 1 from cobb.

Is it an improvement? Yes.

Do I feel more power? Debatable

Is the power delivery improved? Yes, it's definitely smoother.

Is it worth $650 bucks? Not unless you just have the money and/or plan on stage 2.

if only wanting stage 1 id go etune, WTFtuning (a vendor on here is a great tuner/tuning team).

if you plan on going stage 2 down the road and enjoy logging the car-get an etune^, if you want it tuned and done in a few hours put the mods on you want to run then get it dyno tuned. as far as i know WTFtuning can tune for any mods you want.

^ my $0.02
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Thanks Ruh Roh! I have thumbed through these threads briefly, and it makes me want to just order an AP now.

Also forgot to mention, I have no intentions to track my new hatchie or anything. Just spirited driving every now and then, also known as on, off-ramp fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post

Is it worth $650 bucks? Not unless you just have the money and/or plan on stage 2.
    Perfect. Exactly what kind of experience I wanted to read.

My main concern is getting the car off the subjectively bad factory tune and onto a "safer" tune...unless I'm just brainwashed into thinking the factory tune is that bad. Anyway, I would leave it stage 1 for awhile, but I do later on plan on going stage 2. It's just a matter of $$.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post

after owning a AP and using their stage 1 map, yes there is slightly more power and it is delivered throughout the powerband smoother. would i buy an AP just for the stage 1 map. **** no. is it convienant and super easy to use? yes. are the little monitoring features that you really have no idea what they are cool to look at and watch the numbers up and down until you learn what they actually mean? yes.

the AP for me was a way to have my car stage 2 until i figured out my mod path. then i sold it for 100$ less than what i paid for it. then i went with a e-tune from WTFtuning and wayy better than the AP, learned what most of those things im actually monitoring mean and why im monitoring them, a safer* tune for the car while increasing its power(my car did not like the AP tune and caused engine knock.) my WTFtune has no engine knock and runs safe and strong. now i am saving up for more parts and then going with a dyno tune only because im not a fan of logging since you need to reach high speeds and high speeds have resulted in speeding tickets already lol. you just need to have the roads for them where you live. only going with a dyno tune because at the moment i dont plan on modding much more after i buy these particular parts, unless motor blows then back to square 1
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post

My main concern is getting the car off the subjectively bad factory tune and onto a "safer" tune...unless I'm just brainwashed into thinking the factory tune is that bad. Anyway, I would leave it stage 1 for awhile, but I do later on plan on going stage 2. It's just a matter of $$.
    stock cars run over 200k on stock tune..is it really that unsafe?

if youre not computer savy and dont know how to download a program off the internet and do some basic things i wouldnt reccomend an etune. downloading all the files and things you need for etuning was pretty easy for me. just have to make sure things are downloaded and go from there
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post

Well I wouldn't call the cobb tune safer... the tune from Subaru was designed for the car for safety, reliability, and Lord knows how much money was invested in mapping.

The cobb map may be "safer" than other OTS maps. But I'd say the stock tune is the "safest".

Anyway, I've been on stage 1 for about 6 months....no stage 2 in sight. I just don't have the dough and have other priorities... but believe me I would be on stage 2 in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Good luck with whatever route you go. If you do tune, be sure to datalog. Read what cobb has on their site about datalogging. I made the mistake of datalogging all the time, with crazy readings. Instead of 2,500 rpms - redline WOT (wide open throttle) in 3rd gear for a 5-speed. I worried myself sick that I was damaging my car.

So do your research... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    stock cars run over 200k on stock tune..is it really that unsafe?

if youre not computer savy and dont know how to download a program off the internet and do some basic things i wouldnt reccomend an etune. downloading all the files and things you need for etuning was pretty easy for me. just have to make sure things are downloaded and go from there
    Very valid point. I don't know enough in depth @ the numbers of the stock tune for me to call it bad, but it sure does get thrown around a bunch on forums. Also including showing dyno charts comparing cobbs stage 1 to stock etc etc. I think my issue is I feel like I'm doing more harm than good on the stock tune. I really don't need or crave the extra power, as I am happy with how the car performs already. It's just the all the things I'm reading about it makes it seem like I'm gonna be driving home one day and I'm gonna do a row through the gears on the stock tune and BOOM!

I dunno, maybe I'm just over thinking all of the things why people claim the stock tune is horrible.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not going to try and convince you to go stage 1 or to not go stage 1. That is a decision for you to make. But one of the reasons people think the stock tune is junk is that it is a map that is designed to fit all conditions. Subaru must tune a car that will be driven all over the country, in Florida heat, Maine cold, Colorado elevation, Dry Arizona, Emissions strict zones, etc. Having to appease to all these conditions means the tune is not designed for your specific environment and driving habits. A protune or custom e-tune will result in a better responding tune that is more smooth, and suited to your conditions. The stock tune would be considered "safer" because if the engine blew, chances are Subaru would cover the cost (unless they could find reason that the engine was unreasonably abused).

I have just broke 4k miles on my 2014 and about to go "stealth" Stage 2. Use the right parts, get a personal/conservative tune and don't drive like a child and you will be fine....that's my hope

FYI, I did an economy stage 2 build. Used Cobb intake/box, used Perrin Catted DP, used Cobb V3 AP and all together costing me $1500 with tune from Cobb SoCal...not crazy expensive.

Well, from what all I have gathered so forth about our cars is that the ringland issue(s) and spun rod bearings aren't as prominent as I've been led to believe through people constantly posting about blown engines etc on forums etc. I realize that only a small percentage of owners out there actually are apart of said forums and usually only join to post that their car blew up without really proving any actual basis that in fact, the tune was the culprit without also mentioning how they took care of the car through regular maintenance and general car care.

Keep in mind, this is what I myself, have concluded with all the fuss I've made with myself about the issue. I post this in no intent to offend any person, as again this is what I feel about the issue.

With that all being said, I enjoy the car in stock form as it is now in terms of Horsepower and Torque, so I really don't think I see myself doing anything to it (Except for an Exhaust, because rumble ) till after the power train warranty expires...because at that point what do I have to lose right?

I appreciate all the informative feedback! I enjoy being apart of this forum for this exact reason!

just do suspenion, shifter, braking, exterior upgrades until then.
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.