Need Help ASAP

This is a discussion on Need Help ASAP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a 04 wrx wagon with 147,000 miles with a "suppose to be" boost leak. Well after doing a ...

Unhappy Need Help ASAP

I bought a 04 wrx wagon with 147,000 miles with a "suppose to be" boost leak. Well after doing a boost leak and not finding nothing we did a compression test which all came back fine except cylinder #4 it showed 0 psi. Which i find strange because even if i have bad rings or piston it should register something. My question to you guys is; can it be a valve problem? Maybe shims or something?
    Please help me before i spends mayor money on an engine.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do a leak down test.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sorry to ask a dumb question but how do i do that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Do a leak down test.
    Yup exactly
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX

Need Help ASAP

A leak down test compresses a cylinder to see if pressure is lost and if so, from where. You'll need a fitting and you'll pull the plugs, then find TDC.

Search for videos, it's a popular test.

If your 0 PSI cylinder somehow doesn't leak, suspect a valve control problem. If you hear leak in exhaust, suspect exhaust valves or if you hear it from the intake suspect intake valves. You don't care either way in the sense that the head will come off anyway but at least you'll get an idea. Whereas to diagnose rings either confirm leakage via PCV and/or, squirt oil into the cyl and then see if compression goes up.

All this is easier to see than read about though, sorry. It's a start though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks man for all the info.