Break in normal or tuned?

This is a discussion on Break in normal or tuned? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am going to be getting a Cobb AP along with a new WRX. My question is if I would ...

Break in normal or tuned?

I am going to be getting a Cobb AP along with a new WRX. My question is if I would be better off breaking in the car normally, or pull over when I pick in up to install and load the ots map for break in? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I break in cars according to the maker's instructions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I break in cars according to the maker's instructions.
    ^This...

Follow the owners manual for break in procedure. Nobody here is smarter than the engineers who designed this car and wrote the manual.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    ^This...

Follow the owners manual for break in procedure. Nobody here is smarter than the engineers who designed this car and wrote the manual.
    Talk about assuming things. For all you know one of those engineers could be a member of the forum lol. I would still be following Subaru's break in procedures according to the manual. It would just be getting broke in under a cobb map rather then the stock map. Sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I am just looking for a more clear answer. Thanks again

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I personally wouldn't install the access port until it's properly broken in.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimChaos View Post
    [

Talk about assuming things. For all you know one of those engineers could be a member of the forum lol. I would still be following Subaru's break in procedures according to the manual. It would just be getting broke in under a cobb map rather then the stock map. Sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I am just looking for a more clear answer. Thanks again
    Opinions vary, but common sense dictates clearing the break in period with the stock map before flashing. What COBB will say is that you can do it anytime, but if you decide to flash now, it's imperative you follow the break-in procedure to the tee. That means no heavy throttle, and keeping it under 4K for the duration of the break-in period.

But hey, it's your car, your choice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimChaos View Post
    [

I, as in myself, would not install an AP during the break in period. To me that's just asking for something to go wrong and it not be covered under warranty. And if you load an OTS map with a Cobb AP during the breaking period then you are not following the manuals guidelines for breaking in the car properly because you are not using the stock map, contrary to your belief.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14